Fuel Economy Lawsuit

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Count me as another who's getting better than the sticker fuel economy. Drive the truck easy and you'll blow the sticker fuel economy away. Without really trying, I've averaged as much as 29mpg (cruise at 65, driving through the mtns, 100% interstate). Right now, I'm at about 23mpg on a tank for almost 100% hilly, suburban driving, a little heavier on the gas pedal.

I learned pretty quickly how fast the turbo drinks gas. If I want to be a fuel miser, I minimize how much the turbo kicks in. If I want to actually get somewhere or have a little fun, then I use the turbo.

A friend of mine was caught up in the whole VW diesel fuel economy/emissions deal. Now THAT one was a legit complaint. This one? Ehhhhh, the way you drive is such a big factor here that I think there's not enough behind it.

Ford might settle it, anyway, to make it go away faster.
Sponsored

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't complain about my mileage at all. I average 27mpg normally on each tank. I have adjusted the computer down to get it close to manual checks. Sometimes it matches the manual checks, sometimes it's off an mpg. Love the fuel economy. I don't drive it in Sport mode and use the cruise as much as possible on trips. The shot below is from a recent trip with the wife for her eye surgery. Mostly flat 4-lane rural highway. It hit 32.7mpg at one point, but that didn't last long.
20200826_075314_resized.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
That hot coffee sue thing is crazy. First time someone told me about it I thought it was a joke.
If I buy a knife and its too sharp so I accidentally cut myself, can I sue?
So after you found out about it and thought it was a joke, did you actually take the time to read on the case? Hint: the coffee machine was not brewing at specified specs it should have been.

Much like the saying, "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. " the same concept goes for anything you hear second hand. Read for yourself because 99% of time the information being handed down is a shitsoup.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Lol!! My previous vehicle was 2004 F150. FX4 with the 5.4 liter V8. I think it averaged around 12 to 14. The Ranger is a definite improvement. I'm not complaining. Also, I tend to have a heavy foot so 20 mpg on the Ranger is very satisfying to me.
Yeah, my old '89 F-150 got 9 mpg. I'm thrilled with my Ranger's 23-24mpg!

RussB

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 f 150
I dont know what everybody is talking about , I got 28.1 mpg from South Carolina to Medina Ohio and back with driving around Ohio over 1200 miles so thats not to bad , had to dump about 1 oz of junk out of my oil catch can.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
850 mile roadtrip with 1000+lbs of payload and cruise at 80mph. Got 22-23mpg.

As for McDonald's lady - typical home water heater is set at ~140f - different than 180-190. She didn't want to sue either - she only wanted a 20k settlement to pay her hospital bills and MDCs only offered $800 - so it went to trial... for $20k.

Her award wasn't a reflection of her singular case or simply her burns it was more so a penalty to MCDs due to their history. Back then a 3mil payout was huge, it sent a message. MCDs had 10 years of complaints about burns from their chosen coffee temp and not only chose to ignore them, but they paid out (weak) settlements as well - a scenario the jury found contemptable.

The downside is that the propaganda machine went "full retard" on this story making her out to be the greedy bad guy.. and the public bought it, hook line and sinker - looks like they still do.

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
More people should start tracking with Fuelly. The on board fuel consumption monitor is hot garbage. I've tracked every fill up since purchase. Fuelly even gives us a neat signature that automatically updates after each fill.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
850 mile roadtrip with 1000+lbs of payload and cruise at 80mph. Got 22-23mpg.

As for McDonald's lady - typical home water heater is set at ~140f - different than 180-190. She didn't want to sue either - she only wanted a 20k settlement to pay her hospital bills and MDCs only offered $800 - so it went to trial... for $20k.

Her award wasn't a reflection of her singular case or simply her burns it was more so a penalty to MCDs due to their history. Back then a 3mil payout was huge, it sent a message. MCDs had 10 years of complaints about burns from their chosen coffee temp and not only chose to ignore them, but they paid out (weak) settlements as well - a scenario the jury found contemptable.

The downside is that the propaganda machine went "full retard" on this story making her out to be the greedy bad guy.. and the public bought it, hook line and sinker - looks like they still do.
Things are not always what they seem. I'm glad ya'll have clarified this story. I admit I did not look deeper, I just shook my head. Thank you, a good reminder to look at both sides. :)

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2018 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retired
Class action suits prey on people that are disgruntled. Once the attorney group gets enough folks to join in they file suit. Nearly all of these suits are settled out of court because all you need is a bunch of corporate hating jurors to give the farm away.
When I was a broker I disdained most of those suits and commonly recommended clients not participate.
Here is how it works. Say they get 10,000 people to "sign on" to the class action suit. Then they negotiate this with the corporate attorneys. They settle. Say, for 10 Million$. Could be more. Then the attorneys first take their "expenses" which are huge, then they take 1/3 typically but could be more. So, in the end "maybe" each participant gets a few bucks, perhaps 100-300$.
It is corporate extortion and the reason the U.S. has more attorneys than the rest of the world combined.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I added myself and all my fill ups on Fuelly today, I'm averaging 19 by real calculations vs. 22 from the onboard garbage. I knew it was off, I didn't know it was off by that much. Over 10% is kind of a big deal.

To add to the McDonald's lawsuit, they were warned by the government, OSHA I think, multiple times to turn down the coffee. The manager refused. Personally I think the manager should have been charged with something. They claimed they left it hot so that people who bought it and drove to work would have it hot when they got to work. I think that's bullshit. Their propaganda machine did a good job making it out like it was the lady's fault. Makes you think twice about anything and everything you read or hear about in the news doesn't it?

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
More people should start tracking with Fuelly. The on board fuel consumption monitor is hot garbage. I've tracked every fill up since purchase. Fuelly even gives us a neat signature that automatically updates after each fill.
The onboard computer can be adjusted in the engineering screen. I did mine and it now matches fuelly and the hand calcs.

1599058759632.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I added myself and all my fill ups on Fuelly today, I'm averaging 19 by real calculations vs. 22 from the onboard garbage. I knew it was off, I didn't know it was off by that much. Over 10% is kind of a big deal.

To add to the McDonald's lawsuit, they were warned by the government, OSHA I think, multiple times to turn down the coffee. The manager refused. Personally I think the manager should have been charged with something. They claimed they left it hot so that people who bought it and drove to work would have it hot when they got to work. I think that's bullshit. Their propaganda machine did a good job making it out like it was the lady's fault. Makes you think twice about anything and everything you read or hear about in the news doesn't it?
For the MPG calculation. This post:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fuel-calculator-adjustment.2996/

Explains how to adjust it using engineering mode. I've done it, and my computer calcs are within .2 -.3 of hand calculated values now - sometimes low, sometimes high. If done properly it works very well. I know others have made the same change and it has worked well for them too.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I adjusted mine an sometimes it's spot on but most times it's still .3 higher than hand calculated.

Dokkenmire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Xlt Sport Supercrew 2wd
22-23mpg average from my Ranger with larger tires and a 2 inch level.

I should sue Ram for selling me a truck that never saw more than 17mpg stock...glad it's gone.
Sponsored