First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 4x4, Ford Fusion
Occupation
Driver
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced what I have with gas mileage.
Recently filled up my 2022 Ranger XLT FX4 at my local no name gas station that I always use and drove from Vancouver WA to Bend OR.
My average fuel economy was 22 mpg, which has been my best economy using this gas, around town it's 18 mpg at best with said gas.
I filled up at a Chevron station in Bend for the return trip, same route in reverse, and averaged 26.5 mpg.
There us no difference in the ethanol content between WA and OR.
What brand of gas are you using and mpg you're getting with that gas?
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, so many variables that affect mileage. Also, Chevron should be top tier gas while the economy gas most likely isn't.

Winter fuel kills mileage for me. I use top tier or not and doesn't seem to make a difference but I don't really watch it that close.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I only run top tier. During summer was constant at around
23 mpg. Last yr, to my surprise, the wife was doing WOT all day & getting 18mpg. Winter gas so far is back to 18mpg.
I stay away from eco gas.
On another note, all gas in Canada now contains minimum
10% ethanol. I believe only Shell V-Power was 100% dino.
Thank you fed gov't.... not!

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
You can not make any judgement on what caused the improved mileage with one round trip. It would take many tanks of gas running the same route in the same direction under the same conditions with different brands before you could make any conclusion on a gas mileage improvement.

Brand of gas makes no difference other than the detergent additives in the gas. Top Tier only means that they add a higher percentage of detergent than the government mandated minimum. Gasoline is a commodity which means it is sold back and forth between brands. All gasoline in a geographical area comes from the same refineries and distribution centers in that area (this is the reason you can get 93 octane in some areas of the country and only 91 in others). For exame a refinery owned by Mobil Shell or an independent refines gasoline and it will go to distribution centers owned by BP, Texaco or an independent. From there it will go to every brand in the area. The only difference will be the additives that are dumped into the tanker truck specified by each brand.

If anything Top Tier gas should give you lower gas mileage because the gasoline is more diluted with additives that do not burn and contribute to making power.

Winter gas has higher percentages of highly volatile chemicals like butane and hexane that make it easier get the engine started in cold weather but have a lower BTU content so they contribute less to making power resulting in lower gas mileage.

Ethanol in gasoline also has a lower BTU content so it too contributes less to making power resulting in lower gas mileage.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that generally speaking, top tier gas does give you a bit better MPG than the no name stuff. As others have said there are SO MANY variables to MPG with this powertrain, it is hard to determine, but I always try and buy top tier gas now. As you can see from my signature, my lifetime average MPG is hovering just under 20 - The winter gas loses about 2 MPG, so summers are typically a bit higher than 20.

Also, going uphill will cut MPG - going to Bend you are gaining elevation and coming back you will be losing it - that definitely makes a difference. When I go hiking, I can fill up and going up to a 4000' trailhead I might only get 15 MPG on the meter on the truck - by the time I get back to town it might be over 20. Going uphill most definitely cuts MPG.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Most gas today has 10% ethanol. That is highly hydroscopic in itself. It’s like a sponge for moisture. If your outdoor humidity levels are high over extended periods of time and the place you fill up at doesn’t move a lot of gas then you’re getting extra h2O when you fill up. Winter blend is bad enough already. Those effect your mileage. Tire pressure is another factor along with others already mentioned.

I get my gas at BJ’s wholesale. A lot like Costco. The tanker delivers 2 times a day at this location. It’s not top tier gas but it gets cycled so quickly it really isn’t much different than one of the name brands.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
For me it always depended on where I was and what my conditions were. For the Ranger I started using 91 once I realized the Ranger preffered it. With the different modifications I did I would usually average low to mid 20's. Only a few times I got close to 30.

As for what brand of gas I usually go with Conoco and Phillips 66(same company) since I get a discount just for using the APP.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I burn top tier in The Ranger and ’16 Corolla, unless on rare occasions I can’t find it. I run 87 unless towing and then the Ranger gets 91 or 93 depending on what I can get. The ‘98 C2500 gets the cheapest regular I can find.

There are so many variables on mileage. I do tend to get better mileage in the Ranger on 93 than 87, but it doesn’t cover the cost difference.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
1st 32,000 miles: 27 MPG, almost always Shell, always premium, always Top Tier.

Last 3,000 miles: 24 MPG, always Shell premium, always Top Tier. The difference: new Michelin tires installed to replace the original oem Hankooks.

My Theory: Tire changes on our Rangers make a huge impact on mileage.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There are so many variables on mileage. I do tend to get better mileage in the Ranger on 93 than 87, but it doesn’t cover the cost difference.
I can confirm this - I tried several tanks of premium to see if my MPG improved - it did, but it didn't make financial sense to continue, so I almost always put in 87 - unless I'm towing.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I can confirm this - I tried several tanks of premium to see if my MPG improved - it did, but it didn't make financial sense to continue, so I almost always put in 87 - unless I'm towing.
Other than short term financial sense, what about long term? Repairs on these trucks are expensive and just getting the work done can be a nightmare.

If the truck is getting better mileage... have you considered that also means there are likely other benefits, such as burning cleaner and less contaminates that can cause deposits on valves, etc.

This is really a case though of how long you keep the vehicle. If your not planning to keep the truck for a long time, the long term thinking makes zero sense.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Other than short term financial sense, what about long term? Repairs on these trucks are expensive and just getting the work done can be a nightmare.

If the truck is getting better mileage... have you considered that also means there are likely other benefits, such as burning cleaner and less contaminates that can cause deposits on valves, etc.

This is really a case though of how long you keep the vehicle. If your not planning to keep the truck for a long time, the long term thinking makes zero sense.
I'm no expert, but I don't think MPG correlates to longevity. It would make sense that MPG improves with premium since the computer can advance (retard?) the timing without knock. I intend to keep this truck long term (until a PHEV comes out). If Ford said premium was required it would be a different story, but they say regular is fine. The only time they even mention premium is when towing.
Sponsored