First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
I don't have my Ranger yet, so I'm just opining a bit. In 2011 I bought a Crew Cab F-150 with the 3.7L, and 6 speed tranny. The truck had 3.73 gears like the Ranger. It seems my biggest loss of mpg's was starting from a stop. With that gearing it would run the rpms up quite quickly, and cruising down the highway above 2000 rpms was a killer. And with the 3.73's 2000 rpms came up quickly at highway speeds. I was hoping the 10 spd in the Ranger would help more with the 3.73's, but it seems that I'm going to need to pay more attention to get better mpgs with the Ranger. Oh well, it is a truck. And the Ranger was the best out of the others (Taco, Colorado/Canyon). So, I'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

BTW, in 2013 I traded for an F-150 with the 5.0L. It actually got better mpgs than the 2011 with the 3.7L.
Jim when is your Ranger going to land. I hope sooner than later.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jim when is your Ranger going to land. I hope sooner than later.
Greg, it got caught up in the Bronco test runs it seems. So, Rangers were shuffled off to the side for a while. My sales guy said we've got a TPW (Target Production Week) of 11/16. As I understand it the plant has started back building Rangers, so I hope this date stands. I never thought it would take 10 weeks before it even hit the production line.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Greg, it got caught up in the Bronco test runs it seems. So, Rangers were shuffled off to the side for a while. My sales guy said we've got a TPW (Target Production Week) of 11/16. As I understand it the plant has started back building Rangers, so I hope this date stands. I never thought it would take 10 weeks before it even hit the production line.
Wow I 'll pray that the date holds true.

jayo2

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Sport
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
I can't really complain about my mileage after a year & 18,000 miles. I am averaging 24.3 MPG. I have a 60 mile round trip commute ( or at least i did before Covid ) which is mostly interstate. I was running about 70/30 Highway vs City. Now that I only go into the office twice a week, I have about a 45/55 Highway vs City. It has cost me about a half mile or so in overall MPG's. I was averaging high 24's, but am now down to high 23's. I use only 87 Octane.

qwerth

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Super Crew
Also just hit 20k miles & purchased in dec 2019

I was able to get 24mpg on a recent tank, road trip from SoCal to PNW on 33's 285/75 16 driving very very very slow on the highway. got 20mpg over all on the trip. stopped by Lake Tahoe for a couple days. it snowed on the way back and im surprised how well the truck handled it without having 4x4 & any lockers just bf Goodrich k02's. I want to eventually want pull off a 500 mile tank since I read somewhere on this forum there are guys able to do it with these rangers but on stock size tires. I usually get 17mpg driving around LA and that's due to the taller tires
6AA4B8E7-DAD9-45FB-ADDC-95C6D190E1B6_1_102_o.jpeg
E74B8C62-4CC9-4AF4-B589-6DCF17A3D865_1_105_c.jpeg

2,666 miles in just over a week

qwerth

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Super Crew
500 miles on a tank is definitely on my list to accomplish as well! I got real close once. Only reason I didn't make it is because of gas station locations. But I'm very sure I could eek out 500 miles on a nice long smooth road trip. I've since added a topper that seems to up my mileage by around 2mpg across the board (towing, commuting, highway trips, etc.), so I'm betting that will help me get over the hump. Now I just need a trip that will let me do it. haha
im sure on the next road trip you'll accomplish that! maybe its time for a camper for mine.

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
Hello All,

I just hit 20k miles on my 2019 XLT Ranger. I have owned my truck 10 months (December 14th purchase of 2019). Primarily, my truck has been used to commute to work for me - I commute 84 miles a day, five days a week. I have had three oil changes on my truck to date.

Although I love my truck, my biggest concern with it has been fuel economy. A major reason I went with the Ranger was because of the advertised fuel economy. I did not want an SUV, and I wasn't really keen on getting an AWD sedan/coupe. I ultimately knew that a truck, no matter what model/make I considered, would never beat a SUV/sedan for fuel economy. Nevertheless, I felt for the advertised fuel economy and my commuting needs, the Ranger was perfect for me.

Here is breakdown of my fuel economy to date after 10 months of ownership and 20k miles:
  1. Average MPG: 19 miles
  2. Average gallons: 15.23
  3. Average fuel cost per gallon: $2.22
  4. Average cost per fill-up: $34.34
  5. Average cost per mile: $0.12
  6. Average miles driven before filling-up: 289.4
I obtained these values using Microsoft Excel. My Ranger computer estimates are close, but state that I average slightly above 20 MPG. This data will help me immensely predict fuel economy and costs as I am soon getting a new job with a continued commute of 1 mile longer to about 85 miles daily, with the possibility of it being 6 days a week monthly.

Just thought this was interesting data. I am curious to see how other members' fuel economy has been? Take care everyone.
kinda in same boat.... i drive pretty easy... around locally i get about 19.5..... i just put a tonneau cover on mine and after a few fillups will see if that makes any difference.. would think moreso on long drives as opposed to in town though. only been on longer trips a couple times and was about 21.5 ..

chuck s

First Name
chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford ranger lariat
Occupation
self employed
Also just hit 20k miles & purchased in dec 2019

I was able to get 24mpg on a recent tank, road trip from SoCal to PNW on 33's 285/75 16 driving very very very slow on the highway. got 20mpg over all on the trip. stopped by Lake Tahoe for a couple days. it snowed on the way back and im surprised how well the truck handled it without having 4x4 & any lockers just bf Goodrich k02's. I want to eventually want pull off a 500 mile tank since I read somewhere on this forum there are guys able to do it with these rangers but on stock size tires. I usually get 17mpg driving around LA and that's due to the taller tires
6AA4B8E7-DAD9-45FB-ADDC-95C6D190E1B6_1_102_o.jpeg
E74B8C62-4CC9-4AF4-B589-6DCF17A3D865_1_105_c.jpeg

2,666 miles in just over a week
no offense, only way to get actual mileage is fillup and set your trip meter to zero.... when you fill up again... divide the miles on your trip meter by how many gallons you put in truck to fill it full again... my mpg gauge says i get more than i actually do

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I have 3,000 miles on mine. Only mods are eibach struts set to 3" and 265/70/17 Wildpeaks. I do mainly highway miles (about 60 miles a day), usually at 75-80mph. I can't get mine past 18mpg on a tank. Using 91 octane.

ljames

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jameselectronics.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 FX4, 2011 CRV,1998 Ford E250 super
Occupation
contractor
We've got a little over 10,000 miles on our 2019 FX4 SuperCab. We're getting about 27 mpg. We run Shell 91 octane. I pretty much always use cruise control.. even in town.

What fuel are you running?
27 MPG only on level roads and at 65 MPH or less.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
at 39000 miles today.

Average using 87 octane (from consumption at pump and not the dash MPG) 21.9 - 22.2 over the past 2 months using winter blend here in Texas. I think with the last cold snap our gas pumps will start throwing summer blend soon. I've noticed with the ATV on a trailer it drops at freeway speeds a bit...down to 20.5 or so.

Regardless, still better than what I was expecting on purchase so no worries.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Thought I'd share results from two 290 mile trips I made this past week. Monday morning I left from the Cleveland area to the Louisville area. It was 25 degrees when I left. I got 19.7 going from Cle to Lou. Coming back Tues afternoon it was 63 degrees when I left an around 55 when I got home. I got 22.6. Both days I set the cruise at 75 most of the time. I'd bump it up to close to 80 to get around a line of slower traffic a few times. I didn't have any stuff in the truck with me besides a backpack. I did let the truck run Mon morning for a few minutes to warm up a little, maybe 5 minutes max. I spent a few minutes in the drive thru line too for coffee. I didn't do either of those coming back but I don't see much of an impact from that.

Looks to me like cold temps are a big factor in mpg.

My truck has the Livernois 87-89 tune running 89, 265/70 tires an the Bilstein level set at 1.8". In the summer on summer fuel in good temps I get closer to 24 on this trip or better with the 93 tune an fuel.
Sponsored