First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Fuel economy was a major draw for me but not a deal breaker. Early on I figured out how to put the Ranger in 'engineering mode' to correct the onboard computer, and I'm generally within half a mile per gallon compared to hand calculations. I'm about 80% highway but traffic speeds are often closer to 80MPH.

My averages calculated manually are very close to 19 MPG now, but I've modded my truck with a free flow exhaust which might hurt in some instances (?), a performance tune (not sure that hurts at sustained highway speeds but in town - ouch) on premium which was consistently yielding just under 17 MPG until I tested the VelossaTech 'big mouth for our trucks. I drive the same routes with the same traffic and same habits in pretty consistent weather conditions and logged about a two MPG improvement overall.

I doubt I'd see as good an improvement in city driving and I suppose if I drove more highway at reasonable speeds it would be better - perhaps even 'as advertised' but as evidenced by responses above there are a lot of variables at work. Not every single truck of the production line is going to be precisely the same though I'd expect they are all darn close.
Sponsored

Last edited:

missesbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew Sport
I have about 7000 miles on my 2020 Ranger Lariat, no special tune or tires, but I do have a tonneau cover. I drive about 350-400 miles per week, at least 80% of that is on the highway (if not more). Since I may need to tow a horse trailer at any time, I've been using 93 octane (can't find 91 octane here) but I've only towed my trailer once since purchasing my truck. My mpg so far seems to be around 25 mpg but that's what I see on the display, I haven't kept records and calculated by hand. That seems a bit higher compared to what I'm seeing on this thread, maybe I need to do some calculations to double check this?

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
$2.22 per gallon!!! WTF! I wish I could pay that little. I live in Commiefornia. Gas is cheaper everywhere else that I travel.

I just hit 20k on Saturday too. I bought the truck May 28 2020. It was used with 6k on it so I've put 14k miles in since then.

Fuel economy isn't great. However my commute is only 3 miles. So most of the miles on the truck are traveling to far off destinations.

I wish the gas prices here were reasonable. Overall it's been a great truck.

D Baker

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
Hello All,

I just hit 20k miles on my 2019 XLT Ranger. I have owned my truck 10 months (December 14th purchase of 2019). Primarily, my truck has been used to commute to work for me - I commute 84 miles a day, five days a week. I have had three oil changes on my truck to date.

Although I love my truck, my biggest concern with it has been fuel economy. A major reason I went with the Ranger was because of the advertised fuel economy. I did not want an SUV, and I wasn't really keen on getting an AWD sedan/coupe. I ultimately knew that a truck, no matter what model/make I considered, would never beat a SUV/sedan for fuel economy. Nevertheless, I felt for the advertised fuel economy and my commuting needs, the Ranger was perfect for me.

Here is breakdown of my fuel economy to date after 10 months of ownership and 20k miles:
  1. Average MPG: 19 miles
  2. Average gallons: 15.23
  3. Average fuel cost per gallon: $2.22
  4. Average cost per fill-up: $34.34
  5. Average cost per mile: $0.12
  6. Average miles driven before filling-up: 289.4
I obtained these values using Microsoft Excel. My Ranger computer estimates are close, but state that I average slightly above 20 MPG. This data will help me immensely predict fuel economy and costs as I am soon getting a new job with a continued commute of 1 mile longer to about 85 miles daily, with the possibility of it being 6 days a week monthly.

Just thought this was interesting data. I am curious to see how other members' fuel economy has been? Take care everyone.
I've put 7,688 on my Ranger over the last 6 months. My average mpg has steadlily been 24.7 mpg, although it has declined recently due to remote starts. Most of my daily driving is some city, mostly highway. I don't "drive it like I stole it".

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
4x4 XLT all stock, no towing using 93 octane, 21.2 is the best highway with sustained adaptive cruise on usually set at 75 mpg on my regular commute. I expected to get better MPG's on the highway.
:(

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I have had my Ranger for 5 months and have put a little over 7000 miles on it. I am leveled 2.25 in the front, Mishimoto Intake and run Unleashed Tunings 93 octane tune. For the most part I have a soft foot and have been averaging 24.3 mpg.....I am in sales and drive a mixture of highway and city.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I keep a detailed log over the last year and 12,000 miles. I average around 20 both highway and in town. Occasionally I'll drive a stretch of highway and get close to 30. The speed on the interstate here is 80, and the mileage really drops over 65. In the summer, my Ranger is mostly used for towing, which averages around 10. I've experimented with using premium fuel, but can detect no measurable difference in mileage or performance.

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not quite at 20k miles but am just past 10 months on my 4WD 4-door. I was pretty excited about my in town, 30 mile, work commuting gas mileage of 23 mpg, which was 40% better than I was getting with my '17 Hemi Ram 1500. When I took my first 2500 mile road trip to from AZ to WY and back I was eager to see how much better the gas mileage would be on the interstate than in town. I was surprised and disappointed that I still got 23 mpg, which is only 15% better than my old Ram. The Ranger is stock except for a tri-fold cover on the bed. It doesn't seem like how I drive makes any difference to the gas mileage which has remained at roughly 23 for the entire 10 months. When the stock tires wear out, I plan to do a level and put 285/70's under it. Let's hope it stays stubborn at 23 mpg after that too! Side note, I have always used 87 octane fuel.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I bought my 4x4 Ranger because it's a truck and I do truck things with it. I average 21.2 mpg and I am not complaining one bit.

OP
OP
Roaring Gorilla

Roaring Gorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Ridgeline AWD Sport
I appreciate everyone's responses. Again, as I said in the OP, I understand a truck is not going to be the best choice for fuel economy.

After reading the thread, I believe that I could change my driving habits to see if I can average even a mile better. Some factors I can attempt to change: Better gas pedal control, use of cruise control, reduction of speed on the interstate, consistent use of higher octane fuel,

Part of the external factors I can't control include: 12 miles of city stop and start traffic daily, strong headwinds on the interstate with nothing to block it, the amount of idiot drivers I have deal with daily in terms of hard acceleration/lane changes, etc.

At the end of the day, I very much enjoy my truck and hope it lasts me quite some time.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
I get between 22 and 23 every tank, on my calculator. I use 86 octane and always use the cruise city and highway. Because of our wonder enforcement personnel here, I never go more than about five over.

I traded my F150 because of the 15 mpg and told my wife I would be content with 20 mpg.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Did that Ram Hemi shut down cylinders on the highway? That might account for it.

I'm trying no to worry about mileage since gas is cheap right now around here. About $2 for reg an $2.70 for 93. IF reg 87 jumps up to over $3 again I'll slow it down!

RangerRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I now have about 28,000 on my ranger with a Ford Performance Fox Kit. I will say that the gas mileage did improve slightly once the motor had some miles on it.

2019 XLT FX4

I drive between 600 and 650 miles a week and have found the following:

Cruise control at 65 - average 25.4
Cruise control at 75 - average 22.2

Normally, I average about 21.8 when accounting for all of my driving.

Once the stock Hankooks are kooked I will be going up a size and expect a decrease in efficiency.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
With about 10,700 miles now I'm averaging 21.5 which you can see in my signature. On our most recent trip from AZ-UT I averaged 23.7 in just over 1,300 miles. There was some off roading in there with a lot of high elevation changes and average highway speeds were around 75 mph and a touch of 90's here and there. Before the speeding police lecture me the speed limit on I-15 in UT is 80 mph. ?

IMG_3107-1.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I don't have my Ranger yet, so I'm just opining a bit. In 2011 I bought a Crew Cab F-150 with the 3.7L, and 6 speed tranny. The truck had 3.73 gears like the Ranger. It seems my biggest loss of mpg's was starting from a stop. With that gearing it would run the rpms up quite quickly, and cruising down the highway above 2000 rpms was a killer. And with the 3.73's 2000 rpms came up quickly at highway speeds. I was hoping the 10 spd in the Ranger would help more with the 3.73's, but it seems that I'm going to need to pay more attention to get better mpgs with the Ranger. Oh well, it is a truck. And the Ranger was the best out of the others (Taco, Colorado/Canyon). So, I'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

BTW, in 2013 I traded for an F-150 with the 5.0L. It actually got better mpgs than the 2011 with the 3.7L.
Sponsored