Ford dealer says cannot add tow hitch and brake controller to Ranger without factory tow package.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks for the reply - I edited my original post for clarity as I was a little frustrated when I first posted. These are all Ford OEM parts.

The dealer also told me that my truck was missing the "other coolers" that come with the tow package - given you said what I already knew about the tow package being just hitch/wiring, they might not be the best option...

When I replaced the original bumper with the Ford OEM hitch, I also added the combined 7/4 pin connector and the wiring harness to that. The harness install is simply unplug the old that went to the 4 pin and plug in the new. Its interesting that 7 wires run upstream from that connection including the heavier gauge blue wire for the trailer brakes that I could not find under the dash. This lead me to believe it was in there somewhere.
As you said your dealer may not be the best option with the misinformation he is giving you. I'm not sure I would trust him to change my oil. :facepalm: There are no extra cooler on tow package Rangers. As @Grumpaw said the tow package is the hitch and 4/7 pin harness.

My XLT has the factory tow package shine has all the wiring. I know that some early non-tow package trucks did not have the wiring. I was not aware that the later non-tow package trucks did not have it.

Not sure where you can tie into the blue brake wire for the trailer. The other thing you will need to check is the 12 volt positive pin in the 7 pin receptical at the back of the truck. Remember this only powers up when the truck senses a trailer plugged in and the truck is running. If they pulled the blue brake wire and the 12 volt for the TBC, they may have deleted that too.

Can't believe Ford really created a different harness for non-tow trucks. REALLY! :shock:

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
My 2021 XLT doesn't have the the factory tow package but has the TBC wiring under the dash.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL 4x4 Supercab
I'm curious what your manual says your towing capacity is.
Not a smart butt comment meant.
1500 lbs with original bumper and no trailer brakes (approx - don't have manual in front of me - plus varies by State laws), 3500 lbs with original bumper and trailer brakes, and 7500 lbs with tow package (hitch and 7 pin that I have installed) and trailer brakes. All Rangers are the same.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you said your dealer may not be the best option with the misinformation he is giving you. I'm not sure I would trust him to change my oil. :facepalm: There are no extra cooler on tow package Rangers. As @Grumpaw said the tow package is the hitch and 4/7 pin harness.

My XLT has the factory tow package shine has all the wiring. I know that some early non-tow package trucks did not have the wiring. I was not aware that the later non-tow package trucks did not have it.

Not sure where you can tie into the blue brake wire for the trailer. The other thing you will need to check is the 12 volt positive pin in the 7 pin receptical at the back of the truck. Remember this only powers up when the truck senses a trailer plugged in and the truck is running. If they pulled the blue brake wire and the 12 volt for the TBC, they may have deleted that too.

Can't believe Ford really created a different harness for non-tow trucks. REALLY! :shock:
Thanks - I cannot believe Ford did this either - especially as some of the wiring is there - specifically the 7 wires running forward from the connector close to the bumper that either the 4 pin or 7 pin wiring plugs into.

I was also unaware that any trucks other than early 2019 models were missing the wiring that is meant to terminate under the dash.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Totally agree and the aftermarket options certainly look like easier installs.. However, I am trying to keep integration with the emergency braking system on the truck by using Ford parts.
By nature of the way the Curt Echo works, it will work with the emergency braking. It is more a chance of luck, than design. Since the Echo uses the brake light signals, which will illuminate when the truck emergency brakes, your trailer will brake too.

OP
OP

monark192

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
By nature of the way the Curt Echo works, it will work with the emergency braking. It is more a chance of luck, than design. Since the Echo uses the brake light signals, which will illuminate when the truck emergency brakes, your trailer will brake too.
That's interesting - and good to know. It certainly couldn't be an easier install.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Ford Rangers WITHOUT the tow package are rated to tow 3500 lbs with a maximum hitch weight of 350 lbs. These weights are regulated by the bumper and its rating. Also, there is no trailer wiring plug, and must be added as an aftermarket item
My XLT doesn't have the tow package but it does have a 4-pin plug mounted under the hitch area of the bumper.

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I would agree with the part about the 1000 lbs, IF you were towing using the rear bumper.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 has the tow package but I ended up getting a Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. So simple, no wiring. Plugs into the 7 pin socket, then plug the trailer into the Curt. Trailer brakes are Bluetooth controlled by my Android phone. No wiring involved. And it can be transferred to another vehicle if needed.
This seems like a nice controller but was kinda put off by the disclaimer :(

"Not recommended if you would get annoyed using a mobile app to operate the controller, especially if you use your phone for maps or music while towing ."

So I take it that while towing you can't use the bluetooth for anything else ?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
This seems like a nice controller but was kinda put off by the disclaimer :(

"Not recommended if you would get annoyed using a mobile app to operate the controller, especially if you use your phone for maps or music while towing ."

So I take it that while towing you can't use the bluetooth for anything else ?
pretty much. phones aren't much good for multitasking. a few apps can do it, but others - psh. I think the idea of this thing is that the tbc app is up all the time just in case you need to use it.

my phone gets used for maps and music (sometimes both), so using it to control my trailer brake is a nonstarter.
Sponsored