Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Hi Guys

I'm buying a travel trailer with brakes and need a brake controller

I know nothing about this. IS there one included in the factory tow package? If not, how do I connect and any suggestions on brands. Was looking at REDARC as I have some of their stuff and they have modes for off road.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Hi Guys

I know nothing about this. IS there one included in the factory tow package? If not, how do I connect and any suggestions on brands. Was looking at REDARC as I have some of their stuff and they have modes for off road.

Thanks

Mark
There is not one included with the tow package :explode:

Look around for other threads, I know some people have installed the ford and redarc (which may be the same), but I have no information about them. Curt also has a bluetooth unit if you want to try that, depending on your needs.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do a search there is a whole thread on the REDARC Pro Tow Elite. I have one but not yet installed. Have not had the need yet.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
There is not one included with the tow package :explode:

Look around for other threads, I know some people have installed the ford and redarc (which may be the same), but I have no information about them. Curt also has a bluetooth unit if you want to try that, depending on your needs.
thanks

I don't want bluetooth and an app. my phone is used for navigation and I want to be able use it if phone dies

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
You don’t need the app to control it, although you can control it with the app. it it’s really just there to get it set up.

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
.. Curt also has a bluetooth unit if you want to try that, depending on your needs.
I personally would recommend against the Curt Echo Bluetooth. I purchased and tried it because I didn't want to do the whole rewire thing. The Curt Echo doesn't work on Ford's due to no power at connection point until trailer is plugged in, even after "activating trailer mode" as they suggested. I've tried multiple times, spoke with Curt and still no joy.

Anyone else get it working on the Ranger/F150?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I don't have one, but I've seen other posts where they used the curt successfully. I think curt had an issue early on but have gotten it fixed, but don't take my word for it.

Added: Curious why needing the trailer connected to get power is a problem? Unless you just want to test and/or set it up without the trailer connected? That has not been fixed, but there were problems reported with the early models that has been fixed.

Last edited:

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I went with the OEM option. From everything I've read, it's the TowPro Elite model by Redarc. But, unlike going with it directly from Redarc, the Ford OEM version operates with the truck's emergency braking system which isn't the case if you purchase it aftermarket (i.e. not from Ford). I can't tell you how it works just yet, since we're using it for the first time later this month when we tow a travel trailer for a camping trip. I'll try to give you an update on my experience when we get back from the trip.

Curious: what model of travel trailer are you considering? We're renting one as a test drive and before we pull the trigger on one of our own. Mainly renting to judge the size of the trailer and the capability of the truck.

The rental is a Wolf Pup with a 16 ft box (20' hitch to bumper). We're very interested in a Coachmen Apex 208bhs, but want to see how the truck handles something a little smaller before we purchase something that long.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I went with the OEM option. From everything I've read, it's the TowPro Elite model by Redarc. But, unlike going with it directly from Redarc, the Ford OEM version operates with the truck's emergency braking system which isn't the case if you purchase it aftermarket (i.e. not from Ford). I can't tell you how it works just yet, since we're using it for the first time later this month when we tow a travel trailer for a camping trip. I'll try to give you an update on my experience when we get back from the trip.

Curious: what model of travel trailer are you considering? We're renting one as a test drive and before we pull the trigger on one of our own. Mainly renting to judge the size of the trailer and the capability of the truck.

The rental is a Wolf Pup with a 16 ft box (20' hitch to bumper). We're very interested in a Coachmen Apex 208bhs, but want to see how the truck handles something a little smaller before we purchase something that long.
I'm getting the InTechRV Pursue. (Less than 2,000lbs)

Did you install yourself?

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting the InTechRV Pursue. (Less than 2,000lbs)

Did you install yourself?
No. I had the dealer install it. I'm probably a little more cautious than I have to be, but I usually stay away from making any repairs or modifications to wiring, structural stuff, etc. myself until the warranty expires to avoid headaches on the backend in case there's a fight about coverage. That said, I think the OEM version involves taking down the headliner to run wiring over to the third brake light to ensure that the controller works with the emergency braking system. I'm notorious for breaking little clips and rivets on that sort of thing which was another reason to go to the dealer. It was about $200 for labor + the cost of the controller itself. I used by Ford Pass points to pay for some of the parts, so I ended up paying ~$500 out the door (parts + labor).

Last edited:
OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
No. I had the dealer install it. I'm probably a little more cautions than I have to be, but I usually stay away from making any repairs or modifications to wiring, structural stuff, etc. myself until the warrant expires to avoid headaches on the backend in case there's a fight about coverage. That said, I think the OEM version involves taking down the headliner to run wiring over to the third brake light to ensure that the controller works with the emergency braking system. I'm notorious for breaking little clips and rivets on that sort of thing which was another reason to go to the dealer. It was about $200 for labor + the cost of the controller itself (I used by Ford Pass points to pay for some of the parts, so I ended up paying ~$500 out the door (parts + labor).
Not too bad

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not too bad
Yeah. I didn't think so. Plus, I find that having a professional install things I have no idea how to do relieves me of being yelled at by significant other for messing something up haha!

ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 XLT Tremor
I personally would recommend against the Curt Echo Bluetooth. I purchased and tried it because I didn't want to do the whole rewire thing. The Curt Echo doesn't work on Ford's due to no power at connection point until trailer is plugged in, even after "activating trailer mode" as they suggested. I've tried multiple times, spoke with Curt and still no joy.

I use the Echo with my Ranger and wife's Explorer Sport with no issues. When I plug in, the truck recognizes the trailer and the app works as expected. I've never tried to test the app without a trailer plugged in, so the power issue has not come up.

I'd still rather a factory EBC. I wanted to use my fordpass points to buy the Ford/Redarc, but it's now listed at $527. Dollars or points, that's too much to spend when I have something that works.

Vger900

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hi Guys

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored