Ford warns that Active Cruise Control can NOT be used with an aftermarket trailer brake controller

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 1932 Ford High Boy, 1927 Ford Model T.
Page 182 of the 2019 RANGER Owner’s Manual (3rd Printing, April 2019) the following warning appears:

USING ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL

WARNING: Do not use the system when towing a trailer that has aftermarket electronic trailer brake controls. Failure to follow this instruction could result in the loss of control of your vehicle, personal injury or death.

This is certainly bizarre warning since to the best of my knowledge Ford has yet to produce or sell an OEM electronic trailer brake controller in the U.S. Market. I bought the Ranger with the intention of Towing my 20-foot enclosed toy hauler. I also intended to use active cruise control when hauling the trailer. When I ordered the truck I was told that the towing package did not include the the trailer brake controller but that one would be a available as a dealer installed option. I have not found anyone who knows anything about this dealer installed option.

The problem is described by REDARC, the Australian maker of Tow-Pro Elite Electric Trailer Brake Controller that apparently will manufacture the Ford OEM version as follows:
In releasing the 2019MY Ranger and Everest models, Ford Australia has introduced Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB).

AEB does not interact or affect the trailer brakes but it does change the location in the vehicle where the brake signal for the Tow-Pro Elite can be sourced.

To support this change, REDARC has developed and will release a new Tow-Pro wiring kit for the 2019MY Ford Ranger and Everest vehicles with AEB.

The difference between an AEB and non-AEB vehicle, for the installation of the Tow-Pro Elite, is the location in the vehicle where the brake signal can be sourced.

REDARC, in developing their Tow-Pro wiring kits ensure that the kits: Interface correctly with the vehicle Do not impede the safe operation of all onboard systems Do not trigger fault codes

Ford has released two accessory electric trailer brake controller kits.

One kit for 2019MY vehicles with AEB One kit for PXI, PXII and the 2019MY non-AEB vehicles. Both kits from Ford include the award-winning and Australian made REDARC Tow-Pro Elite Electric Trailer Brake Controller.​

Does anyone know the location of the AEB Trigger wire?

ACC Trailer brakes2.jpg
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
No idea, but I have no idea why they wouldn't just source the brake signal where it's not going to accidentally kill someone if they are stupid and don't read the manual. Why present a brake signal wire at all if there's a better place for it to come from?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I don't think this has anything to do with the brake signal; adaptive cruise and AEB are two different systems.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Redarc appears to be engineering the Ford OEM trailer brake controller (whenever and if ever it is leased). I spoke with the Redarc technical help group last night. They said Ford is engineering a slightly different
version of their controller. It apparently has something to do with electronic signal conditioning.

I don't understand anything about signaling conditioning but I do believe Redarc when they say:
"In releasing the 2019MY Ranger and Everest models, Ford Australia has introduced Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB).

AEB does not interact or affect the trailer brakes but it does change the location in the vehicle where the brake signal for the Tow-Pro Elite can be sourced."
I have not found anyone who can tell me definitively where the location for the brake trigger wire is located now. I hope some other people well call Redarc to confirm this information. They have a US number that will connect you to the Australian headquarters. Has anyone been able to find out from Ford when they are going to release their trailer brake controller or where we might find the break trigger wire. I want to be able to tow my 20 foot enclosed car hauler. I want to be able to use my adaptive speed control. I don't want to be involved in a wreck.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think this has anything to do with the brake signal; adaptive cruise and AEB are two different systems.
Have you installed a brake controller? If so what kind did you use and where did you get the brake signal from?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Redarc appears to be engineering the Ford OEM trailer brake controller (whenever and if ever it is leased). I spoke with the Redarc technical help group last night. They said Ford is engineering a slightly different
version of their controller. It apparently has something to do with electronic signal conditioning.

I don't understand anything about signaling conditioning but I do believe Redarc when they say:
"In releasing the 2019MY Ranger and Everest models, Ford Australia has introduced Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB).

AEB does not interact or affect the trailer brakes but it does change the location in the vehicle where the brake signal for the Tow-Pro Elite can be sourced."
I have not found anyone who can tell me definitively where the location for the brake trigger wire is located now. I hope some other people well call Redarc to confirm this information. They have a US number that will connect you to the Australian headquarters. Has anyone been able to find out from Ford when they are going to release their trailer brake controller or where we might find the break trigger wire. I want to be able to tow my 20 foot enclosed car hauler. I want to be able to use my adaptive speed control. I don't want to be involved in a wreck.
Have you looked at the directions for the AU version? https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Images/uploaded/TPWKIT-012 Fitting Instructions.pdf We're talking about something completely different from the US version--they don't have pre-run wires, and they actually tap into the leads under the hood. As I understand the issue, with AEB the brake lights flash rather than just lighting up solid. If you literally tap into the wire going to the brake lights and use that as your signal to brake, you'll make the brakes go on and off in an emergency rather than staying on. So in the AU version it's important that rather than tapping the brake light wire in the newer rangers you tap a different wire instead. In the US version you're not tapping the signal to the brake lights, you're using a pre-wired brake signal. I suppose it's possible that ford prewired to the wrong thing, but I don't think it's likely. You definitely should not be running wires to the engine compartment in the US version.

As far as the adaptive cruise (different system than AEB) I don't think it flashes the brake lights at all, so I think this a completely unrelated warning. It may be that the warning is because adaptive cruise could try to make small speed corrections without signaling anything to the trailer, potentially overheating the truck brakes over time. (Complete speculation.)

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you looked at the directions for the AU version? https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Images/uploaded/TPWKIT-012 Fitting Instructions.pdf We're talking about something completely different from the US version--they don't have pre-run wires, and they actually tap into the leads under the hood. As I understand the issue, with AEB the brake lights flash rather than just lighting up solid. If you literally tap into the wire going to the brake lights and use that as your signal to brake, you'll make the brakes go on and off in an emergency rather than staying on. So in the AU version it's important that rather than tapping the brake light wire in the newer rangers you tap a different wire instead. In the US version you're not tapping the signal to the brake lights, you're using a pre-wired brake signal. I suppose it's possible that ford prewired to the wrong thing, but I don't think it's likely. You definitely should not be running wires to the engine compartment in the US version.

As far as the adaptive cruise (different system than AEB) I don't think it flashes the brake lights at all, so I think this a completely unrelated warning. It may be that the warning is because adaptive cruise could try to make small speed corrections without signaling anything to the trailer, potentially overheating the truck brakes over time. (Complete speculation.)
Thanks for the post. I do have a copy of those instructions. This just adds to my confusion. So far I have not gotten a straight answer from the Ford Motor Company. You call customer service they tell you to see the dealer. The dealer says there is no trailer brake controller for the 2019 Ranger. And tell you to call customer service. And around and around you go. I've tried the Law Department but I can't get any response there. I am just a shade tree mechanic and don't claim any knowledge of how automated emergency brakes or adaptive speed controls work. I just want to drive my truck with a trailer attached.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the post. I do have a copy of those instructions. This just adds to my confusion. So far I have not gotten a straight answer from the Ford Motor Company. You call customer service they tell you to see the dealer. The dealer says there is no trailer brake controller for the 2019 Ranger. And tell you to call customer service. And around and around you go. I've tried the Law Department but I can't get any response there. I am just a shade tree mechanic and don't claim any knowledge of how automated emergency brakes or adaptive speed controls work. I just want to drive my truck with a trailer attached.
You're overthinking this. Check the threads on adding a brake controller using the prewired leads. Ignore all information from australia.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have a Prodigy P3 installed currently. It works perfectly. AEB and Adaptive cruise have one similarity, they both activate one or more braking wheels by themselves without user interaction. So if Adaptive cruise doesn't work, my guess is that emergency braking may not work(properly?) either.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Use regular cruise control.
The reason adaptive cruise may not be a good idea is it actively slows the vehicle...regular cruise does not. The adaptive cruise braking may not involve brakes -- it can use transmission downshifts to slow the vehicle and that presents a situation where the vehicle is doing all the 'braking' while the trailer brakes do nothing because no brake signal is active. With regular cruise use your brakes to slow down...that involves the trailer brakes and makes for a safer situation.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Prodigy P3 installed currently. It works perfectly. AEB and Adaptive cruise have one similarity, they both activate one or more braking wheels by themselves without user interaction. So if Adaptive cruise doesn't work, my guess is that emergency braking may not work(properly?) either.
Why guess? The manual has a warning for adaptive cruise, and not for any other braking. (Curiously, the warning talks about "a trailer that has aftermarket electronic trailer brake controls" not an aftermarket brake controller in the truck. I actually have no idea what that warning is even talking about. Just badly edited?)

I still suspect that warning has more in common with this:
Hilly Condition Usage

Note: An audible alarm sounds and the system shuts down if it applies brakes for an extended period of time. This allows the brakes to cool. The system functions normally again when the brakes have cooled.

Select a lower gear during prolonged downhill driving on steep slopes, such as mountainous areas, when the system is active. In such situations, the system needs additional engine braking to reduce the load on the vehicle’s regular brake system to prevent the brakes from overheating.
and the concern is more about overloading the brakes without the driver being aware

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Use regular cruise control.
The reason adaptive cruise may not be a good idea is it actively slows the vehicle...regular cruise does not. The adaptive cruise braking may not involve brakes -- it can use transmission downshifts to slow the vehicle and that presents a situation where the vehicle is doing all the 'braking' while the trailer brakes do nothing because no brake signal is active. With regular cruise use your brakes to slow down...that involves the trailer brakes and makes for a safer situation.
Have you ever towed a trailer on I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago or on I-95 from Wilmington the Virginia border. I am 77 and want to use my adaptive speed control

What kind of trailer do you tow.

OP
OP

Alby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're overthinking this. Check the threads on adding a brake controller using the prewired leads. Ignore all information from australia.
I agree that the warning is very poorly worded. It also does not doesn't appear anywhere in the towing brochures. I traded my 150 because I wanted to use adaptive speed control when I'm on the highway. When I ordered my truck I was told there would be a dealer installed trailer brake controller. I can understand why they separated the controller from the towing package because most of the people driving these trucks aren't interested in Towing 7000 lbs

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Have you ever towed a trailer on I-65 from Indianapolis to Chicago or on I-95 from Wilmington the Virginia border. I am 77 and want to use my adaptive speed control

What kind of trailer do you tow.
I used to tow a 3000 LB boat using regular cruise control with no issues - and sometimes thur the Toronto area (Charlotte traffic pales in comparison). If I have to tow a heavy trailer that has trailer brakes I would not not use adaptive cruise, I'd use regular cruise control.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking into it some more, it seems that language was lifted from the f150 manual. On the 150, the integrated controller does work with adaptive cruise. Where does that leave the ranger, with no integrated controller? No idea. I haven't found anything that says why it's a problem, or what happens if you do it anyway.
Sponsored