First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Try the Curt Echo Wireless Brake Controller. Plugs into the 7 pin socket then plug the trailer into the Curt. Trailer Brakes are Bluetooth controlled by your phone. Very simple. And it can be transferred to another vehicle if needed.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
No. I had the dealer install it. I'm probably a little more cautious than I have to be, but I usually stay away from making any repairs or modifications to wiring, structural stuff, etc. myself until the warranty expires to avoid headaches on the backend in case there's a fight about coverage. That said, I think the OEM version involves taking down the headliner to run wiring over to the third brake light to ensure that the controller works with the emergency braking system. I'm notorious for breaking little clips and rivets on that sort of thing which was another reason to go to the dealer. It was about $200 for labor + the cost of the controller itself. I used by Ford Pass points to pay for some of the parts, so I ended up paying ~$500 out the door (parts + labor).
There are several unterminated wires tucked up under the dash on my Ranger. I thought these were for the brake controller. Is that not true?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
There are several unterminated wires tucked up under the dash on my Ranger. I thought these were for the brake controller. Is that not true?
Seems to be a hot topic as of late.

Yes the undermined wires are for the trailer brake controller. But, the Ford controller kit only uses two of the four. It uses the wire that powers the trailer brakes and the 12 volt supply to the controller. The other two are used for an aftermarket controller. One is a ground and the other goes to the switch on the brake pedal.

NOTE: I refuse to call it the Ford Redarc kit. Yes, the Ford kit uses a Redarc module as its main controller, but adds a third party module to tie in the Center High Mounted Stop Light for the activation signal. Not to be confused with those of us who installed the Redarc controller before Ford made their kit available..

The Ford kit requires extra wiring to be pulled to the CHMSL. Which requires dropping a part of the head liner along with removal of several trim panels. People have done it without removing the entire head liner.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you have the factory tow package, you can add the controller. The part number for the kit is: VKB3Z-2C006-A. It costs just under $300 delivered to your door.

If you're adapt at following instructions, and have the required trim panel removing tools (which are a must have item!!), the job takes about 2 hours, perhaps a bit more. The kit requires splicing two wires under the driver's side fuse panel (I did this by installing similar type to factory connectors, as I don't like butt connectors!). Two "black boxes" are installed next to the fuse panel, and drilling a hole for the control knob in the panel cover. The pickup for the brake sense is taken from the CHMBL. There is no workaround for this connection, which requires R&R of 5 trim panels. You'd best have extra panel buttons (trim clips), as you will break several in the process.

You'll need enough room to have both driver's side doors wide open! You'll need a heat gun, and proper electrical and hand tools, and a dose of finesse! Otherwise? The dealer will charge you 4 to 5 hours to install it, or twice that if you do it wrong!

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
You'd best have extra panel buttons (trim clips), as you will break several in the process.
Anyone know the Part Number for these. I plan to install the TBC this weekend. I will swing by my dealer for a few extra clips. I do have some generic Subaru and Mazda clips, in case they fit.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I don't know the number. I bought them to use on my then Honda turbo, but they're the same for the Ranger. Your local Ford dealer should know.

The screen dump shows the two types used (purple).

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 16.10.37.png

Vger900

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I personally would recommend against the Curt Echo Bluetooth. I purchased and tried it because I didn't want to do the whole rewire thing. The Curt Echo doesn't work on Ford's due to no power at connection point until trailer is plugged in, even after "activating trailer mode" as they suggested. I've tried multiple times, spoke with Curt and still no joy.

Anyone else get it working on the Ranger/F150?
My Curt worked fine with my camper brakes. I used one of my old unused Android phones Bluetooth and it was dedicated specifically for the Curt brake controller. The gain and sensitivity are adjustable with the phone. Just set it and forget it!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
There is no workaround for this connection, which requires R&R of 5 trim panels. You'd best have extra panel buttons (trim clips), as you will break several in the process.
Yes there is.

You can tap into the CHMSL signal under the dash if you're willing to splice. No headliner removal needed.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman