Tow package and Trailer brake controller install

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
First, many thanks to the members here who posted details on part number and instructions in the various threads. I finally got around to ordering the parts and received them just before Xmas so I could install while I was off work over the holiday.

No in-process photos as it is mostly well covered by the instructions and other threads. Biggest complaint was the number of trim fasteners that broke during removal no matter how careful I was. Never had an issue like this on other cars before but those stupid little white clips were coming off or breaking all too often. I was able to get the connectors for the CHMSL correct the first time after I spent some time looking over the existing one and making sure I knew which type pin went where. And fully make sure you hear that little *click* when pushing those connector pins in place.

The bumper was not too bad other than some more trim snaps that, well, snapped while following instructions. In the end, it doesn't have any obvious impact but was annoying. I used a scissors-style transmission jack to lower and lift it in place which worked quite well.

TBC knob.jpg
Tow package.jpg
Sponsored

redneck wrencher

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Super Crew FX4
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Shop Foreman
I went the " one and done" approach. I installed my TBC switch in place of the left power supply. I moved the socket behind the dash and used a USB adapter to power the wireless charging pad. An Android Auto wireless dongle is plugged into the one factory USB port, and a right angle USB extension in the other, below the tray. The USB adapter is long enough to route out behind the tray and still allow devices to be plugged in. The only downside is the loss of one 12 volt power supply. Everything works as it should.
20230514_132001.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
Looks good! However, it looks like you took the more difficult route. I followed OEM specs and this is the route I took.
IMG_3584.jpeg
Yes, this did require removing a few extra trim panels, but I do think it is a much better place for the trailer control knob than the one the instructions say, plus less risk of hitting it with my knee like I am sure I would.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Yes, this did require removing a few extra trim panels, but I do think it is a much better place for the trailer control knob than the one the instructions say, plus less risk of hitting it with my knee like I am sure I would.
I have mine mounted in the same area (near the shifter). More convenient if you ever need fast access.

06Warrior

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Staying busy
First, many thanks to the members here who posted details on part number and instructions in the various threads. I finally got around to ordering the parts and received them just before Xmas so I could install while I was off work over the holiday.

No in-process photos as it is mostly well covered by the instructions and other threads. Biggest complaint was the number of trim fasteners that broke during removal no matter how careful I was. Never had an issue like this on other cars before but those stupid little white clips were coming off or breaking all too often. I was able to get the connectors for the CHMSL correct the first time after I spent some time looking over the existing one and making sure I knew which type pin went where. And fully make sure you hear that little *click* when pushing those connector pins in place.

The bumper was not too bad other than some more trim snaps that, well, snapped while following instructions. In the end, it doesn't have any obvious impact but was annoying. I used a scissors-style transmission jack to lower and lift it in place which worked quite well.

TBC knob.jpg
Tow package.jpg
What is the brake controller you used and part #. Thanks

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

TBC knob.jpg
Tow package.jpg
Looks like you did the Ford one with the AEB capability. Nicely done and lots of envy from me. =)

I also like your dial placement, perfect for very fast braking if sway ever starts. And after watching some Australian tow experts, I really like that a passenger can also reach your controller.

Nice work! =)

OP
OP
dstig1

dstig1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger SC XLT 4x4
This was everything I got to do the tow package and brake controller:

• KB3Z19D520A - RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER HITCH 2" RECEIVER
  • FU5Z-14489-A - connector sleeve/7 and 4 pin connector
  • KB3Z-15K868-D - wiring harness (remove existing wiring harness/4 pin plug and replace with new harness). I have the rear parking sensors on mine.
  • VKB3Z2C006A - RANGER 2019-2023 TRAILER BRAKE CONTROL TOWING PACK 2

DROZ23

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Beening Badass

TBC knob.jpg
Tow package.jpg
Yep. That is what I am trying to figure out. The ford system is to small, and in the wrong location for me. Thanks for this. That is how I am going to set mine up.

Of happen to have some picture on how you ran the wire for the switch, I would appreciate it.
Sponsored

Last edited: