First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
According to the online manual: Towing - Recommended Towing Weights (fordservicecontent.com)
Max towing on a light duty hitch (i.e., bumper pull) is 3500lbs.
With heavy duty hitch (i.e., receiver hitch) is 1650lbs without trailer brake and 7,500lbs with trailer brake.
The confusing part is that it doesn't mention if the bumper pull max is with a trailer brake, so why would the heavy-duty hitch be only 1650lbs without trailer brakes?
And I read 'trailer brakes' as brakes on the trailer, not meaning Trailer Brake Controller.
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yes you can do 7500lbs pull. This is my setup. The receiver says 8k with weight distribution hitch. Catch is the ranger is rated for 7500. Factory wiring, i bought and installed it.

Even legaly you are good.
I am no lawyer
But if this brakes the law as in not equipped from factory good luck with your wreck,
Then at least half of the heavy duty trucks running goosenecks and 5th wheels are not as equipped from factory. They all have aftermarket attachments. Could be a few with factory 5th wheel or gooseneck connections from factory????? No not predrilled holes in bed, but actual attachments.
I use surge brakes on my trailers, utility trailers, because brakes on trailers at a certain weight are required by law.
Though 7k is the heaviest i can go because my GENY HITCH is only rated for 7 k.
So..........
I am not properly equipped, and cannot tow 7500 lbs.
Ball rated for 8k and pins rated at 10k.
So yeah, you can tow, all rangers are the same. Just make sure you have proper equipment.
Be safe, drive smart, keep the rubber side down.

20220211_100153.jpg

20220211_101800.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mm10

mm10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SC FX4
Thanks all. The manual link was helpful as well. And to clarify again for all the IANALs out there, I was just looking to confirm that my research was correct so A) the truck was able to tow at the higher listed capacity (ie specs the same between), then B) if Ford itself considers the addition of Ford parts which comprise the package effectively constitutes a trailer tow package installed post-factory. I have the dealer contacting Ford corporate to confirm and have submitted a query of my own with an initial response.

What I've confirmed so far, between rep and factory Ford manuals/documentation:
  • The tow package (53R) consists solely of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness and Class IV trailer hitch receiver (Fords is rated at 7,500lbs, installs in factory location in the heavy duty style as reflected in the manual)
  • There is no gear ratio/diff difference (both LSD, 73 code), nor motor/tune differences as the 2.3L ecoboost is the only option across the model for US market
  • There is no WB difference across Rangers, regardless of package/trim
  • Even trucks without the package have trailer sway control and tow mode included (confirmed on mine), and 53R packs appear to not have any further coding
  • There is no cooling upgrades (trans oil, radiator size, etc.) that I can find which would indicate any further differences between those with/without
Further, the CPO truck I picked up luckily has a trailer brake controller which satisfies many states' needs. I don't plan to tow often but if I do, will do so with an appropriately rated ball and associated safety gear.

At the end of the day, I think it's fair to assume Ford went (understandably) with limited powertrain options as they introduced this gen to the US mid lifecycle to avoid additional testing and certification on a platform which will be updated as part of the global portfolio in a few years. the 2.3 can tow just fine, so no need to bring the diesel or other options over if a single production line variant will satisfy enough of the competitive/market demand.

The market for a small but stout truck is limited compared to the F-150/full size class, and this approach is reasonable given cost/benefit amidst a category dominated by Tacos and about to be muddied by Mavericks/Santa Cruz/etc.

I'll update again if I get official word from Ford, but am happy with the truck so far and look forward to getting great use out of it in the future.

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My kid is moving from Ohio to Tenn for a job location. He's getting a paid move but we might do it in a u-Haul an pocket some cash. I called my insurance agent this morning an asked: "I added a trailer towing hitch to my truck and I might rent a u haul trailer to help move my kid is there any problem?"

Agent said coverage carries over from the vehicle policy. If you buy a trailer you have to insure it too.

Again this is in Ohio so you state my vary. If you do something that causes a problem like overload it or drive too fast you might have problems.

OP
OP
mm10

mm10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SC FX4
Agent said coverage carries over from the vehicle policy. If you buy a trailer you have to insure it too.
Mind clarifying this? ie did they say your car coverage applies to a rented trailer, but owned would require a separate policy?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Mind clarifying this? ie did they say your car coverage applies to a rented trailer, but owned would require a separate policy?
A separate policy if you bought a trailer. Temp use covered.
Sponsored