Differentials and Transfer Case Fluid Change

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Changed the front and rear axle fluids yesterday. Front was pretty clean but the rear was metallic, thick, and luckily found out it was slightly low. Very easy to do. I’d recommend doing the rear. Only 3500 miles and my buddies and I were amazed how bad the previous rear fluid looked. It’s easier then changing the oil luckily. Cheers

DMAX.
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I am in the middle of changing my transfer case fluid. I noticed that the drain and fill plugs do not have any sealant on the threads from the factory. It appears they have some crush washers instead. Do I need to replace these crush washers? Is it safe to just use some of the same thread sealant that I used on my diffs?

Ranger 4 Play

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the middle of changing my transfer case fluid. I noticed that the drain and fill plugs do not have any sealant on the threads from the factory. It appears they have some crush washers instead. Do I need to replace these crush washers? Is it safe to just use some of the same thread sealant that I used on my diffs?
Planning to do mine soon!
Did you end up use the thread sealant on the tcase? I'm thinking I will
and/ or did you reuse those washers?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Planning to do mine soon!
Did you end up use the thread sealant on the tcase? I'm thinking I will
and/ or did you reuse those washers?
I re-used the washers, and added just a bit of thread sealant. No leaks so far, truck performs fine..but I've only done some short in-town trips since the fluids change. I'll be taking it off road this evening to go check out the Neowise comet, and think I'll put about 20-30 miles on it in 4WD. Plan to check the transfer case as well as both diffs for leaks tomorrow just to be sure.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I lock the axle often and use 4x4 to get out of my driveway, so at 17k now, I'm changing mine.

Are you guys pulling the back off or just squirting new stuff in?

Any opinion on Lucas products?

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I lock the axle often and use 4x4 to get out of my driveway, so at 17k now, I'm changing mine.

Are you guys pulling the back off or just squirting new stuff in?

Any opinion on Lucas products?
I just drained factory fluid, re-installed drain plug with a dab of thread sealant. Filled through filler plug hole until it flowed out of the filler hole, replaced fill plug (again, with a dab of sealant).

I also added a strong neodymium magnet to the head of the drain plug (just stuck it on there) which increases the strength of the magnet inside at the tip of the plug. Not sure this really helps much, but it can't hurt.

No opinion on Lucas. I used Amsoil (First time I've ever used anything from them. I just wanted synthetic, and it seems to have great performance reviews). I asked around at a few parts stores and got a bunch of mixed opinions.... everything from "just put in the cheapest" to "ONLY use product X" for whatever reason. Ultimately, I'm not sure it really matters a ton. I've not heard anything bad about Lucas, if that matters. Best of luck!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Add me to the list of people who changed their rear differential fluid and found nasties. 6200 miles and should have done it sooner. Dark and found a 5/8" long machining chip stuck to the magnet, some other fines in drained oil. I worked in a machine show while going to school, so I know what a machining chip looks like.
Drain plug 1.jpg
Drain plug 2.jpg

At least it was on the magnet.
I just drained factory fluid, re-installed drain plug with a dab of thread sealant. Filled through filler plug hole until it flowed out of the filler hole, replaced fill plug (again, with a dab of sealant).
This is what I did also. Used some sealant for use with synthetic oil. Was going to do both but realized before I drained the front front (luckly) I needed another quart of fluid. (bad math) Used Valvoline full synthetic 75-90. Always tomorrow when your retired.

tnewcomb6370

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Did both my diffs today. Like everyone said the rear was real dirty, the front no so much. My Ranger has a little over 10K on it and had a lot of metal in the oil for the rear. Glad I changed it.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I haven’t done my own maintenance in many years but I have a good dealer (IMO) that has been servicing my Fords over the past 16 years or so..

So stupid question - would these mechanics “clean” that plug of the metal filings before putting back in?
When I bring it in in 2 months it should be close to 13k miles (around 19 months old of driving). I know they won’t suggest I do it, but I’m in the group that likes to get the break-in filings gone in all the spinny parts.

I’m sure all you DIY’ers would clean the plug (assuming it’s not disposable), but does anyone know how the stealerships handle it?

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t done my own maintenance in many years but I have a good dealer (IMO) that has been servicing my Fords over the past 16 years or so..

So stupid question - would these mechanics “clean” that plug of the metal filings before putting back in?
When I bring it in in 2 months it should be close to 13k miles (around 19 months old of driving). I know they won’t suggest I do it, but I’m in the group that likes to get the break-in filings gone in all the spinny parts.

I’m sure all you DIY’ers would clean the plug (assuming it’s not disposable), but does anyone know how the stealerships handle it?
Do it yourself. It’s so simple to do.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Woah that collected quite a bit of metal.
The fine metal on the magnetic plug is normal... that's why the factory uses a magnetic drain plug. It's merely a function of brand new gear sets wearing in... again, that's normal.

Does it hurt anything to change the lube... nope. I changed the rear diff lube on our 2019 Ranger at 7,500 miles with the Ford specified Motorcraft 80W-90.

I'll change the front differential lube next year... maybe.

One thing everybody should do though is check the drain and fill plugs for the front and rear differentials. 3 out of 4 on mine were not tight from the factory.

More HERE

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The fine metal on the magnetic plug is normal... that's why the factory uses a magnetic drain plug. It's merely a function of brand new gear sets wearing in... again, that's normal.

Does it hurt anything to change the lube... nope. I changed the rear diff lube on our 2019 Ranger at 7,500 miles with the Ford specified Motorcraft 80W-90.

I'll change the front differential lube next year... maybe.

One thing everybody should do though is check the drain and fill plugs for the front and rear differentials. 3 out of 4 on mine were not tight from the factory.

More HERE
Agreed fine, emphasis on fine, is normal break in wear. Still it is good to get it out. 5/8 inch machining chips are not normal and should not be in there. Too many have been finding them.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Agreed fine, emphasis on fine, is normal break in wear. Still it is good to get it out. 5/8 inch machining chips are not normal and should not be in there. Too many have been finding them.
5/8" machining chips? I call bullshit. Show the photo's and I'll believe it. Until then... it's bullshit.

No way that makes it through Ford QA in the modern era.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
5/8" machining chips? I call bullshit. Show the photo's and I'll believe it. Until then... it's bullshit.

No way that makes it through Ford QA in the modern era.
Look at post #52! That's what came out of my rear differential.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Gotya. Thanks. One more question. The manuals say to throw away drain and fill plugs on the axles after replacing fluid. Is that right? Feel like you can reseal them no?

1D245398-B780-4852-92E9-88FC9563E8F3.png
Can you post the full PDF for the Rear Differential if you have it? Thanks!!
Sponsored