First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
But would they charge you for the part? There was a news report in Louisville where a toyota dealership had a tech doing oil changes not changing the filter on cars. I don't remember if it was all the cars he did or just certain models with hard to access filters.
They shouldn't be charging you but it would not surprise me if they did. The service writer generates the work order and bill based on what's in the computer and the tech does what his experience tells him to do.

No different than flat rate charging. If the computer says it takes 4 hours to do something that is what you get charged even if the tech gets it done in 2 hours. That is why good techs like flat rate work. They get paid for 4 hours even though it only took them 2 hours.
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
No different than flat rate charging. If the computer says it takes 4 hours to do something that is what you get charged even if the tech gets it done in 2 hours. That is why good techs like flat rate work. They get paid for 4 hours even though it only took them 2 hours.
My brother was a dealer mechanic for several years an he hated flat rate because it was a GM dealership an half the vehicles were so rusty bolts would strip an stuff would break an he rarely got done in the paid time frame.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
My brother was a dealer mechanic for several years an he hated flat rate because it was a GM dealership an half the vehicles were so rusty bolts would strip an stuff would break an he rarely got done in the paid time frame.
Well that is certainly is the down side of flat rate. Not sure why you said; "because it was a GM dealership", that is going to be an issue with any brand especially if you are doing a lot of non warranty work.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Well that is certainly is the down side of flat rate. Not sure why you said; "because it was a GM dealership", that is going to be an issue with any brand especially if you are doing a lot of non warranty work.
My older brother an I are big Ford fans. He was a bowtie fan. We'd rip on each other's choice of vehicles. Old habit I guess. He had a position at one GM dealership I asked him what they had him doing an he said "Mostly recalls". I said oh good job security. He didn't think it was as funny as my older brother did.
Sponsored