10 Speed fluid and filter change

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
So I'll be taking my Ranger to my trusted shop to change the fluid and filter when it needs an oil change and plan on them changing the plastic pan out for one that has a drain plug. I am doing that so when my extended warranty is out, I can do it myself without the mess that Ford seems to think owners enjoy (my only other Ford loved to spill oil from the old filter onto the sub frame and steering linkages). My question is that except for the tuning and valve bodies, these 10r80's are mostly the same as GM's 10L90 as they both designed this transmission. GM has an aluminum pan with a drain plug for 1/3 the cost of the aftermarket ones I've seen. Anyone know if they are a direct fit? Any reason to spend more for the aftermarket? Saying to not have GM parts on a Ford truck isn't a worthy reason to me. Truck currently is just shy of 78k and shifts great. And no, the GM 10 speed doesn't have a dipstick in the engine bay either, I looked at parts list and in my family members engine bay at their 6.2/10 spd combo, in case anyone was wondering.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Sadly, not a direct fit. The 10R80 and 10L80 are cousins, not brother and sister. There's enough differences that not many if any at all parts interchange.

Aftermarket vendors would have jumped on that in a heartbeat if they could sell the pan to double the audience.

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
That is what I was wondering. I knew there had to be a reason that it wasn't recommended here. Any idea as to why they wanted to have different pan bolt up patterns?

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Best pic I could find, one side of the GM one has a .. bit of a bulge to it (?? or whatever you call that shape). It's on the other side as well away from that tube thing. So I am sure they wouldn't line up. Not sure and doubt that pic is to scale so they may be closer in size than this one makes it seem, but not the same shape.

TD201904_SouzaSezz_04.jpg

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Seeing the pictures side by side, I can see the difference now. Shame. Still want a drain plug so I'll be picking up and after market and have time to decide if I want the extra capacity or not. I think they went backwards adding one to the rear diff but taking it away from the trans. At least the rear diff you could easy place a drain pan and control how fast the cover was coming off.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
FWIW, the PPE 'shallow' pan still holds about 3/4 of a quart more than the OEM pan. The deep one of course, holds several quarts more.

I didn't feel the need to go deep, more important to have fresh fluid in there rather than capacity. I'd save the $20 difference and just do the regular one, but that's me. Don't know your use case.

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
That's good to know. Most of my driving is basically empty driving, although I have already pulled a trailer with this truck. Houston traffic can really heat up trans fluid though, which is why I was disappointed there wasn't a screen to see trans temp like the GM trucks. It's not a 4x4 (next truck maybe) and I've never had a desired to take an expensive vehicle off roading anyhow but I do like to camp and fish, no boat as I am not at that point in life.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Seeing the pictures side by side, I can see the difference now. Shame. Still want a drain plug so I'll be picking up and after market and have time to decide if I want the extra capacity or not. I think they went backwards adding one to the rear diff but taking it away from the trans. At least the rear diff you could easy place a drain pan and control how fast the cover was coming off.
They took the diff drain plug as well in late 2021. You can see where it was cast to have one, but... nope. It's gone.

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
They took the diff drain plug as well in late 2021. You can see where it was cast to have one, but... nope. It's gone.
Glad mine is a 19. I read though the thread of what has been removed and never have I been so glad to have an early build on a vehicle. I thought they were supposed to make improvements over time?

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
You can get to the temp through an app like Torque Pro and an adapter. You'll find that the temp runs from about 190-225 most of the time. The temp of this transmission is pretty well regulated and the cooling stack of the truck is up to the job.

Several of us pull heavy travel trailers and monitor our temps, as a matter of fact, I just got done doing a trip to the GA mountains fully loaded and never saw anything above 225, and that was sitting at a stoplight.

The shallow pan will do just fine for you. I wouldn't spend the extra money.

Here's my towing log from the trip. Nothing much to see here. Temps are well in check even loaded down on a 93 degree day.

https://datazap.me/u/ctechbob/log-1690927853?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6&solo=4

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
I guess I'll pony up for the app. I've never paid for an app before as I've not believed in buying an app. I just like to keep an eye on actual engine and trans temps while I'm driving in congested traffic and/or pulling a trailer. Engine stays below 200 when in bumper to bumper in 100+ degree heat.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I guess I'll pony up for the app. I've never paid for an app before as I've not believed in buying an app. I just like to keep an eye on actual engine and trans temps while I'm driving in congested traffic and/or pulling a trailer. Engine stays below 200 when in bumper to bumper in 100+ degree heat.

It's worth the $5 or whatever it costs now. Just make sure you get a decent OBD2 dongle. You'll probably spend another $20+ on that depending on what you choose.

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
It's worth the $5 or whatever it costs now. Just make sure you get a decent OBD2 dongle. You'll probably spend another $20+ on that depending on what you choose.
Yea I've got the Obdlink MX+, should work fine. Would Torque Pro read trans and abs codes (not that I'm expecting to need the capability).

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Yea I've got the Obdlink MX+, should work fine. Would Torque Pro read trans and abs codes (not that I'm expecting to need the capability).

Honest answer from me, I don't know. Never needed to and I have Forscan if I had to. I'm sure someone here will have a better answer than that. I mainly use Torque for data logging and displaying real time info when I'm towing.

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Thanks, I'll look into it before purchasing.
Sponsored