First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
That is strange about it mentioning to throw away the drain plug. I reused both of mine and they were fine. It almost looks like they had a thin layer of PTFE paste on the threads so i just put the smallest dab on the first two threads of each and no leaks.

I didn't use an offocial procedure to change the t-case fluid, I just drain the t-case and filled till it bled out the filler hole.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
They want you to get a new plug because of the sealant on the threads. Otherwise its not an issue if you apply some of your own. As for the transfer case, there is a train plug and a fill plug. I replaced mine with an amsoil equivalent.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
That is strange about it mentioning to throw away the drain plug. I reused both of mine and they were fine. It almost looks like they had a thin layer of PTFE paste on the threads so i just put the smallest dab on the first two threads of each and no leaks.

I didn't use an offocial procedure to change the t-case fluid, I just drain the t-case and filled till it bled out the filler hole.
They want you to get a new plug because of the sealant on the threads. Otherwise its not an issue if you apply some of your own. As for the transfer case, there is a train plug and a fill plug. I replaced mine with an amsoil equivalent.
hey do you have a link for such. Thanks.

OP
OP
Andy

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is what I used. The t-case uses an approved fluid replacement but the transmission in our trucks is a new fluid type so don't try to replace that.
That's what I was going to order. Wanted to find some replacement plugs and I'm finding nothing online that I trust. Any help appreciated. Even the links to the instruction don't have part numbers for the replacement parts.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

tmcolegr

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Platinum 4x4 & 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
AB3Z-7482-A Washer (Sealing) - Transfer Case Drain & Fill Plugs
6C2Z-4N282-AA Plug - Front & Rear Axle Drain
E8UZ-4N282-A Plug - Front & Rear Axle Fill
AB3Z-7A010-B Plug - Transfer Case Fill
AB3Z-7A010-D Plug - Transfer Case Drain

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
AB3Z-7482-A Washer (Sealing) - Transfer Case Drain & Fill Plugs
6C2Z-4N282-AA Plug - Front & Rear Axle Drain
E8UZ-4N282-A Plug - Front & Rear Axle Fill
AB3Z-7A010-B Plug - Transfer Case Fill
AB3Z-7A010-D Plug - Transfer Case Drain
Thanks. I knew some of the parts were missing from the online diagrams. Now where to find them at a reasonable price. Ford website over priced

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Just did mine at 6500 miles. Only used the 4x4 a little bit so no surprise, the front diff was still really clear with not a whole lot of metal on the magnet. As for the rear, wow came out shiny silver at the start and shiny black at the end. First words out my mouth were “god damn”.

I’m going to leave the transfer case alone since the front diff was still good and I barely use 4x4.

Personally, I’m a royal purple fan so I got the 70W-90 for both. Unfortunately royal purple doesn’t make an ATF fluid that works with Mercon LV so I’ll probably stick with ford motorcraft there. If you haven’t changed the rear, I HIGHLY!!! recommend doing it. Photo below is from the rear diff.

B25839E9-EDB3-49EA-AF73-E9AABF00CE46.jpeg

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just did mine at 6500 miles. Only used the 4x4 a little bit so no surprise, the front diff was still really clear with not a whole lot of metal on the magnet. As for the rear, wow came out shiny silver at the start and shiny black at the end. First words out my mouth were “god damn”.

I’m going to leave the transfer case alone since the front diff was still good and I barely use 4x4.

Personally, I’m a royal purple fan so I got the 70W-90 for both. Unfortunately royal purple doesn’t make an ATF fluid that works with Mercon LV so I’ll probably stick with ford motorcraft there. If you haven’t changed the rear, I HIGHLY!!! recommend doing it. Photo below is from the rear diff.

Hi,

Did you reuse the plugs that were previously installed or replace them? If you reused them how'd did you reseal the bolts? Some thread lock or something. Novice here, and was going to do such in a few weeks...any insight appreciated. Thanks

DMAX

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,

Did you reuse the plugs that were previously installed or replace them? If you reused them how'd did you reseal the bolts? Some thread lock or something. Novice here, and was going to do such in a few weeks...any insight appreciated. Thanks

DMAX
I reused mine. You can go to autozone and fine the sealer that other guys have been talking about on here. I went on amazon and used some high temp, high pressure paste. Only takes a dab between the fingers and it will seal it well.

Permatex 56521 High Performance Thread Sealant, 50 ml

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I reused mine. You can go to autozone and fine the sealer that other guys have been talking about on here. I went on amazon and used some high temp, high pressure paste. Only takes a dab between the fingers and it will seal it well.

Permatex 56521 High Performance Thread Sealant, 50 ml
Hey I have the 59235 high temp seal. Should work as well is my guess. How much of this stuff did you put on the plugs. Just a little towards the top of the plugs? Thx for letting me pick your brain.
Permatex 59235 High Temperature Thread Sealant, 50 ml Tube

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey I have the 59235 high temp seal. Should work as well is my guess. How much of this stuff did you put on the plugs. Just a little towards the top of the plugs? Thx for letting me pick your brain.
Permatex 59235 High Temperature Thread Sealant, 50 ml Tube
squeeze out just a dab (only an amount as thick as a nickel) on your index finger. Rub it between your thumb and index finger and then apply it to the threads of the plug. Basically try to have it fill in the threads with the amount you have. It will spread evenly when you screw the plug in. In fact, it might be more then you need but I treat it similar to all liquid transferring piping.

once screwed in and tightened, use a blue shop paper towel (or shop towel) and wipe off any excess. Boom you’re done ??

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver

Pretty amazing how much metal floating around in the rear diffs.
Sponsored