Biggest tires, no lift?

Covid_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Just wanted to contribute something that would have helped me when I was deciding what tires/wheels I wanted. On 2 separate occasions in less than 7,000 miles I've had rocks cut into my stock hankooks; once just enough to cut/lodge itself in the rubber, the other time actually puncturing the tire. I wanted something that would inspire a little more confidence on trails and also fill up the wheel wells a little better. Finally settled on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's.

I also really liked the looks of the Fuel Shoks that I've seen a few users her put on their ranger so I decided to change everything at the same time. It seems pretty well accepted here that 265/70/17's will fit with no issues, but for anyone also looking to change out their wheels, this was not the case for me. The Fuel Shoks have at most a +20mm offset vs the stock +55 and they are an inch wider as well. I was able to move the crash bars and get most of the clearance I needed, but there was still some rubbing at full lock, especially in reverse.

I ended up with two choices: custom crash bars or leveling kit. I went for the Ready Lift 2" leveling kit so as not to lose too much of the factory rake and I'm really happy with the results.

Wheels are basically flush with the body now so the truck has a much better stance IMO. The BFG's also seem to ride better than the Hankooks so far with hardly any difference in road noise.
DSC00419-Edit.jpg
DSC00421-Edit.jpg
DSC00424-Edit.jpg
I have this same truck and looking for this exact stance. Yours look GREAT. I dont see in the thread what offset you chose. Did you select 20 or go with stock?

Hectormucino

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger xlt sport
Still haven't found a dedefiniti answer to how big you can go on the sport 17 wheels(current 255/65) without a any mods/lifts/levels.
I may just order some 265/70 and take my chances. I can't imagine that would be an issue as the FX4 tires are 265/65. That's dam close. Worst case i'll just level the front if I have to

Also do you need to upgrade the spare? Or because it's a temp it's not a problem to run a bit lower diameter tire for a short time.
I just fitted 265/70/17 with a level kit and it looks like I could have gone bigger

0B660950-5EED-4121-A6AD-B69DC0926BF0.jpeg

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Tyler, are these pics before or after your level lift? what is your wheel offset? i swapped my bars out for readylifts.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Biggest tires no lift didn't apply to most trucks in here but they do look good.

Cwcole

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Update: Normal flat land driving I have had no issues, however, while turning sharply and driving across a street gutter at slow speed, something did rub. I could not identify where it rubbed because it was wet.

While searching for the rubbing, I did notice that the top of the spindle is very close to the tire (about 1/4" or a tad less). I don't think this was the point of contact but I am curious if it is too close?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I can confirm a snug but no rub fit for 265/70/r17 BFG ATKO's
Stock wheels.
Stock ride height.

They do look a little like Pizza Cutters. Not as wide as I expected but it is close enough to the spindle that I would NOT GO WIDER.

I was going to see if I could adjust the Intrusion Protection Beams / Crash Bars but they were put on by the 800lb Ford Gorilla. I may still do it but w/o any rubbing, I'm not sure why I would.

Wife is a little sensitive about the "tall height" of my truck already and I was afraid she'd notice the 3/4" height difference. She hasn't yet.

1615611430278.png

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
How much bigger can we go with no lift? Looking at 265/70/17 which are 31.6 vs the stock 265/65/17 which are 30.5. so that only equates to 1/2" difference in diameter approx.

On youtube " The Ranger Station " he puts 265 70 17 cooper sst pros on his and takes it on TAT trail across country with no lift and no crash bar removal. He shows some pretty aggressive angles and climbs with no rubbing. He says that's biggest you can go with no lift

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Still trying to find more info on 18" wheel users, wondering if 270/65 is the largest we can do with no lift, no cutting of crash bars, 100% stock. Or is 265/70 will work too with no rubbing? Anyone have pics or experience by chance?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Still trying to find more info on 18" wheel users, wondering if 270/65 is the largest we can do with no lift, no cutting of crash bars, 100% stock. Or is 265/70 will work too with no rubbing? Anyone have pics or experience by chance?
1615985102786.png

Knowing how my 265/70/17s fit I would say you can, but given how close they are to the spindle, I'd recommend a 1/4" spacer. I'm probably going to add a 1/4" spacer to mine any way just to help me feel better.

I ran the numbers and a 265/65/18 is the same width, same heigth, and only 0.1 inch smaller in circumference. If it were my truck, I'd run that size.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
@GTGallop offers some very good insight. Sometimes, our desire to go as big as possible can cloud our judgement. His spacer recommendation is spot on but avoid the desire to go with a wider spacer just to get a bit of poke - you could end up pushing your tires into your crash bars when locked.

Adding spacers is the same as reducing offset. Here’s how too much poke messes things up. The lines represent the crash bars - the shaded tires (rhs) represent the new position.

CD921890-763B-424B-97BD-F98B5430532A.jpeg

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
@GTGallop offers some very good insight. Sometimes, our desire to go as big as possible can cloud our judgement. His spacer recommendation is spot on but avoid the desire to go with a wider spacer just to get a bit of poke - you could end up pushing your tires into your crash bars when locked.

Adding spacers is the same as reducing offset. Here’s how too much poke messes things up. The lines represent the crash bars - the shaded tires (rhs) represent the new position.

CD921890-763B-424B-97BD-F98B5430532A.jpeg
Ahh I saw this, but I am really noob when it comes to modding a truck. This is the first time I have ever gone a little bananas wanting to mod a truck since the Ranger is very nice. Does bilstein 5100 shocks do anything in regards to this? It says on the features it is an alternative to coil spring spacers but not sure what exactly it does. I kind of went down the rabbit hole of all the different forums and pulled the trigger on some 1500's to make the ride more comfortable since I was bouncing all over the place on a washboard trail. Sorry if I sound real new to all of this..

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
1615985102786.png

Knowing how my 265/70/17s fit I would say you can, but given how close they are to the spindle, I'd recommend a 1/4" spacer. I'm probably going to add a 1/4" spacer to mine any way just to help me feel better.

I ran the numbers and a 265/65/18 is the same width, same heigth, and only 0.1 inch smaller in circumference. If it were my truck, I'd run that size.
Thank you for the reply, all your guys help that are a lot more knowledgeable really helps me figure this out a bit more. Still really new to all of this modding truck type stuff. Getting a little more comfortable with the terminology.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, if I add bilstein 1500’s, what size would I be allowed to go up to, or a recommended size? Is there additional mods I have to do as well before going a bigger size?