Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
BTW, welcome to the forum, John! I noticed these were your first few posts. Great looking truck and it is nice to have you.

Can you tell me about your exhaust? I really like the look and would like to hear your experience with it.
Sponsored

JCruz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport Super Crew 2wd, 2017 GTI Sport
Occupation
Tile & Stone Contractor
BTW, welcome to the forum, John! I noticed these were your first few posts. Great looking truck and it is nice to have you.

Can you tell me about your exhaust? I really like the look and would like to hear your experience with it.
Sure, first thanks for the warm welcome. I installed the aFE Rebel muffler delete but found it was too loud on startup for my comfort (neighbors and didn’t want my wife to start asking questions). I then added a muffler… still too loud …then swapped for a resonator… finally settled for a Flow 409 SS muffler. ?

F1040047-4B60-4A7D-9D3D-9C38B2EF5644.jpeg

cactuss4

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
With OEM springs front and back, ride harshness should not have changed unless the new shocks are very firm.

I find the OEM ride harsh, part of my pursuit has been a more supple ride along with the drop.

Like others, I've wondered about the extended shackles with the kit, not a whole lot of room at the tailpipe.
One place you might get more harshness is riding on the bump stops in the rear. There is a big knee in the wheel rate when you hit them. I noticed this when adding sumo springs to mine without the spacer. There is a noticeable jolt from off the helper to on it.
Another is high speed compression damping.

WorldPax

First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2000 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Transportation
Fantastic result. Totally deserves the ST badges. Don't be mad when I copy you and follow suit. As a mid-pack national autocrosser I understand and like your alignment settings. Only thing left now is to find a Torsen LSD and these trucks would be perfect little sport trucks.

Did the lowering help or hurt lighting up the inside rear tire coming out of the corners? Without the LSD I'm just planning on a BIG front bar.

Finished!
Settled on going with the -2.0 for now on the front struts after attempting to go with a -2.5 drop. Tried the +2.5 first knowing that -3.0 was not possible without a redesigned upper control arm. I could not achieve an adequate camber or toe setting with the -2.5 drop, so regrouped and went with the -2.0 which pushes the camber adjustments to the limits. ..........................................Simply put, I LOVE IT! Next, a rear sway bar to reel in a bit more rear positivity.

PXL_20210704_235318924.jpg

PXL_20210704_235310453.jpg

PXL_20210704_235304891~2.jpg

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Sure, first thanks for the warm welcome. I installed the aFE Rebel muffler delete but found it was too loud on startup for my comfort (neighbors and didn’t want my wife to start asking questions). I then added a muffler… still too loud …then swapped for a resonator… finally settled for a Flow 409 SS muffler. ?

F1040047-4B60-4A7D-9D3D-9C38B2EF5644.jpeg

You're welcome.

That was my fear about the muffler delete. I really like the look but haven't heard anyone say that they liked the delete. Seems it is always too loud for neighbors and wives. A shorty muffler may be a fix to get the side exit look with a bit of noise control.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic result. Totally deserves the ST badges. Don't be mad when I copy you and follow suit. As a mid-pack national autocrosser I understand and like your alignment settings. Only thing left now is to find a Torsen LSD and these trucks would be perfect little sport trucks.

Did the lowering help or hurt lighting up the inside rear tire coming out of the corners? Without the LSD I'm just planning on a BIG front bar.
Mad, HELL NO! This is a truck that Ford should offer. They are fun and have a ton of potential.
There is still tire spin and I don't know if there is much we can do other than attempting to transfer weight like you suggest. I am curious to see what a rear bar would do. I have a couple of donor sway bars that I am interested in possibly adapting. What are your thoughts on that?

My driveway is full of Ford ST and SVT vehicles. Real and Kevin created. A Focus ST and we even have an Escape ST :sunglasses: that I have created. Lowered, Borla exhaust and Livernois tune equipped. I love the Ecoboost engines.

WorldPax

First Name
Pax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2000 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Transportation
Normally adding or increasing the rate of the rear bar would induce or increase oversteer. I feel like the rear bar might also bind up the rear axle that we're trying to keep planted. I have not played around much with trucks though. A big front bar is a compromise. It will probably make it a little pushy but should keep the rear planted enough to help with the traction issue. Finding a good LSD would solve the traction issue and allow us to optimize the suspension for handling rather than making up for no LSD. I'm guessing it helped a lot to get rid of all that rake in the rear also.

..... I am curious to see what a rear bar would do. I have a couple of donor sway bars that I am interested in possibly adapting. What are your thoughts on that?

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Normally adding or increasing the rate of the rear bar would induce or increase oversteer. I feel like the rear bar might also bind up the rear axle that we're trying to keep planted. I have not played around much with trucks though. A big front bar is a compromise. It will probably make it a little pushy but should keep the rear planted enough to help with the traction issue. Finding a good LSD would solve the traction issue and allow us to optimize the suspension for handling rather than making up for no LSD. I'm guessing it helped a lot to get rid of all that rake in the rear also.
I can understand your thought on the subject. While being a rear wheel drive vehicle, trucks do react a bit different than a rear drive pony car or sedan. I run a 7/8 rear bar on my 1994 Splash and it has helped in the overall feel. That being said, the those two Rangers have ZERO in common with each other. Reducing the rake and ride height has been nothing short of fantastic. The truck feels so much different to me. My guess is that a limited slip will eventually find it's way to the market. It may have already arrived and I just don't know about. I have not checked and I am curious to see if the center section is shared with any other vehicles that may offer such.

First Name
derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 xlt ranger, 34 ford pickup, 302in TR6,
Occupation
retired eng.
I bought the new Belltech lowering kit to lower the rear 4" and the front 2 3/4" It relocates the rear spring under the axel with longer shackles with
various holes for choice of height. The front kit uses a shock with a lower spring platform and spacers to lower/vary the height. A well engineered kit. $730.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
One of the questions that I have seen asked about the lowering of the truck was the affect on hauling.
I have had a 600 plus pound load and 350 pound load. The back dropped approximately 7-8 mm with 600 pounds and maybe 2 mm with the 350 pounds.

Like any additional added weight, there are minor changes in handling with the 600 pounds. Nothing notable. You just know it's there. The 350 pounds made the truck feel very comfortable. Granted these are not monumental amounts of weight, but this does provide an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
These look good, although I wish there was a bit more flexibility. I think would like a more modest 1" - 1.5" drop in the front and 2" - 3" drop in rear, or something like that, so that there's a little bit of room for squat under load.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
These look good, although I wish there was a bit more flexibility. I think would like a more modest 1" - 1.5" drop in the front and 2" - 3" drop in rear, or something like that, so that there's a little bit of room for squat under load.
That is possible with the Belltech struts. They are made for variable height adjustment by choosing the designated spacers for each height. On the back with the axle flip, you can add a hole in the rear shackles that would allow for a 3 inch drop. Two holes drilled and you are good to go. If you do go this route, you may want to consider trimming a half inch off of the carrier bearing spacer shafts as they were designed set with for 4-6 inch drop, five inch being the happy median. You will be caught in the gray area of shock absorber length and the original shocks may work. You would have to compress them to find out for sure

Reactions: Doc

gpsdualsport

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XL ExtraCab 2WD
Hey @19Bluecrew ,
Since you went for the max drop in the front what was your final front alignment settings?
Belltech has something in their instructions about negative front camber at max drop.
The beta test guy @Kevin Franklin was at 1 degree negative camber with a 2 inch drop in the front.
Any info you can share would be appreciated. My lower kit gets installed tomorrow and I have to decide how low to go.
Sponsored