Anybody planning to lower their 2019 Ranger?

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
So about a fuel economy change. My Trip 1 odometer has about 12,000 miles on it(apparently it rolls over at 10k). I'm average 19.4 on the Trip 1. I reset my Trip 2 after the drop and so far after about 800 miles it appears I'm seeing about about a 9% increase. It's still pretty early. I'd like to put a few thousand more miles to see if the increase holds out.
20210721_084233.jpg
20210721_084211.jpg
Interesting! That is an actual noticeable change.

I average right at 24.5 MPG, yes that is correct (several engine management related mods) and I have noticed just a tick better MPG. I'm not even sure if that's true with the varying weather conditions lately
Sponsored

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update for anyone interested. I have the full Belltech lowering kit. I also bought an inexpensive set of four 20" F150 FX4 wheels with TPMS sensors. I ordered 1" thick adapters from BORA to adapt the F150 wheels to the Ranger hub -started a post about it. The adapters will be here in 3-4 weeks.
My plan is to install the lowering kit sometime in August. I will go slow and try to document as I go. The only thing I will still need are tires for the 20' wheels.
I am a husband and father of four. I work a full-time and a part-time job so finding time for my stuff can be challenging. I have to be patient with money and time. But, I am slowly getting things together for my build. I will definitely keep you all updated - if you care.
wheels.jpg
I really like these and I'm anxious to see how these will look. I have a set and considered plugging the holes and changing the bolt pattern.

Reactions: Doc

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I really like these and I'm anxious to see how these will look. I have a set and considered plugging the holes and changing the bolt pattern.
I am excited also. Going to be a bit before I get everything together but I will post pics ASAP.
I considered having them powder coated matte black or magnetic gray. I will test fit and see how they look.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
First tow with the drop. Trailer is about 5300lbs, around 600lbs over the ball. WDH. 7 links on my WDH leveled my trailer. Front end height is about the same and rear end is about .5-.75" down. Towed pretty much like stock. Trailer was calm and truck felt confident.
20210729_125815.jpg

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
First tow with the drop. Trailer is about 5300lbs, around 600lbs over the ball. WDH. 7 links on my WDH leveled my trailer. Front end height is about the same and rear end is about .5-.75" down. Towed pretty much like stock. Trailer was calm and truck felt confident.
20210729_125815.jpg
That is impressive and reassuring. Glad to know that the kit doesn't ruin all of the trucks towing and hauling capabilities. Good looking combination you have there. I would have taken pictures too!

Tell us about that Stang. Looks like you road race. Would love to hear about it.

Last edited:

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
So about a fuel economy change. My Trip 1 odometer has about 12,000 miles on it(apparently it rolls over at 10k). I'm averaging 19.4 on the Trip 1. I reset my Trip 2 after the drop and so far after about 800 miles it appears I'm seeing about about a 9% increase. It's still pretty early. I'd like to put a few thousand more miles to see if the increase holds out.
20210721_084233.jpg
20210721_084211.jpg
Depending on your driving style or the roads you drive I wouldn't be too happy with that MPG.
Right now I am getting 25.2 on a mix of 89 and 91 octane. I drive 60% highway and 30% rural and 10% city. I am light footed most of the time because I can't stand the rat race around here. Driving fast and aggressive just gets me wound up so, I lay low. But even when I am running fast late at night I only drop to 24.5 on summer gas.
I am hoping that I can see an improvement in MPG with the lowering kit - help justify the cost to my wife!
What do you think is keeping your MPG low?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I used the top hole on the shackle for the 5" lowering and then trimmed the extra that is for the 4" drop.

PXL_20210705_222619767.jpg

PXL_20210705_222613767.jpg

PXL_20210705_222539820.jpg

PXL_20210705_222516211.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210705_222424609.jpg

PXL_20210705_222503191.jpg
I wonder if just the rear shackles would work for a slight rear drop for us 4x4 guys to level out without having to raise the front? Of course I doubt Belltech would sell just the rear shackles...

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I wonder if just the rear shackles would work for a slight rear drop for us 4x4 guys to level out without having to raise the front? Of course I doubt Belltech would sell just the rear shackles...
Never mind, I read the instructions and it would appear that Belltech shackles would LIFT the rear. You use the OEM shackles if you want the full 6" drop with their flip kit.

I just would love to have someone make a different shackle to lower the rear a little. There is room for it. Not much, but it might give at least and inch or so lowering in the rear.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Never mind, I read the instructions and it would appear that Belltech shackles would LIFT the rear. You use the OEM shackles if you want the full 6" drop with their flip kit.

I just would love to have someone make a different shackle to lower the rear a little. There is room for it. Not much, but it might give at least and inch or so lowering in the rear.
Have you people who keep talking lowering shackles actually looked at the oem shackles on the truck? You. Might be able to shorten them an inch. That will get you maybe a half inch lowering of the truck. Not worth the effort. To level you need like a 2 inch drop of truck. To raise the rear axle of the truck 2 inches (lower truck) would require shortening the shackle almost 4 inches. Not going to happen. To get a 2 inch drop you need to do an axle flip. Then you need higher arch springs so the shackle doesn't get ridiculously long.

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You could purchase the rear axle flip kit and modify the supplied shackles or fabricate your own from flat stock and achieve a 2 - 3 inches of lowering and possibly retain the use of the original shock absorbers. I would have to think that the OE shocks have enough travel to allow for that. The length of shackle required for this might dictate a midpoint connecter/stabilizer between the right and left shackle plate. A tubular spacer, bolt and locknut would suffice. Another thing to keep in mind is that you would have to shorten the suppled carrier bearing mounting stand-offs to retain the proper pinion angle. None of this would require a great deal of work. Having fabricated multiple items similar to what you would need, I could even supply you some specs and drawings on what I believe it may require to achieve this

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
You could purchase the rear axle flip kit and modify the supplied shackles or fabricate your own from flat stock and achieve a 2 - 3 inches of lowering and possibly retain the use of the original shock absorbers. I would have to think that the OE shocks have enough travel to allow for that. The length of shackle required for this might dictate a midpoint connecter/stabilizer between the right and left shackle plate. A tubular spacer, bolt and locknut would suffice. Another thing to keep in mind is that you would have to shorten the suppled carrier bearing mounting stand-offs to retain the proper pinion angle. None of this would require a great deal of work. Having fabricated multiple items similar to what you would need, I could even supply you some specs and drawings on what I believe it may require to achieve this
I think what this thread has taught me is the whole “level the truck by dropping the rear” will never be as cheap or easy as leveling the front to match the rear. The dream is gone lol.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I think what this thread has taught me is the whole “level the truck by dropping the rear” will never be as cheap or easy as leveling the front to match the rear. The dream is gone lol.
Don't ever stop dreaming and never say never. Cheap may be a stretch, easy is relative. Belltech has done most of the work. Just need to come up with the right arched multi leaf rear springs. Keep the faith.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I wonder if I drill a hole through the shackle like an inch above where the leaves attach to it, then attach the leaves to the new hole, if it will drop the truck an inch.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I wonder if I drill a hole through the shackle like an inch above where the leaves attach to it, then attach the leaves to the new hole, if it will drop the truck an inch.
Not really. It'll lower the rear bumper by just about that inch, but you'll see less than half that over the axle.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Not really. It'll lower the rear bumper by just about that inch, but you'll see less than half that over the axle.
Maybe a little more than half of the inch. I haven't cycled the rear suspension to see how much the shackle goes back when fully compressed. At full bump we'd be able to see how much higher we could mount the leaves to the shackle, but I doubt it's anything significant and probably not worth the time. I truly despise the leaves under frame is there any benefit to it?
Sponsored