Lower rear of 2020 Ranger

genespecialk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL
I would like to lower the rear of my 2020 Ranger Ex Cab to make it easier to load my dirt bike. Are there any kits available for this or has anyone found a way to do it?
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I do not believe there is a kit avalible yet. Also if you take your truck offroad at all I would advise you not to lower the truck what so ever.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I do not believe there is a kit avalible yet. Also if you take your truck offroad at all I would advise you not to lower the truck what so ever.
There are a couple other threads about this. Just search "lowering"

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
No easy way yet, but a kit "soon" is promised.

I had my springs re-arched to add some lift, then flipped the axle over the spring to drop the back end.

End result is my tailgate is about 10" lower than my wife's FX4. For me, a very worthwhile effort.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Haha a low rider for 4.5K for parts. Let the games begin! ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
A reputable old school Spring shop, that has a press brake, can theoretically "de-arch" your stock springs. What's unknown is the force it would take to do that on our thick monoleaf springs and if that capacity would exceed the capacity of the spring shops brake or not.

Shock length might also be an issue.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
A reputable old school Spring shop, that has a press brake, can theoretically "de-arch" your stock springs. What's unknown is the force it would take to do that on our thick monoleaf springs and if that capacity would exceed the capacity of the spring shops brake or not.

Shock length might also be an issue.
My local spring shop had no issues changing the arch in my pair. They do a a lot of work with commercial vehicles so the comparatively puny springs posed no challenge at all.

But yes, with 3" more arch, the unloaded length of the springs made installing the OEM shackles a bit of a challenge.

Deleted member 9836

No easy way yet, but a kit "soon" is promised.

I had my springs re-arched to add some lift, then flipped the axle over the spring to drop the back end.

End result is my tailgate is about 10" lower than my wife's FX4. For me, a very worthwhile effort.
Do you have pics posted somewhere? Sounds nice.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Well, I have searched the forum for a specific thread for this question but no luck.

So, this thread looks like a good place to ask THE question: what is the good,, bad and ugly of removing the shorter (one on the bottom) and just run the main spring??
Will it lower the truck?? Obviously, the load capacity will go down but can be replaced with air bags (had them on my 2005 Ranger...) worked great.

@SOHK_Alumni : was it straight forward to move the spring under the axle?? I mean, do it on the driveway?? or the spring shop had to do it...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, I have searched the forum for a specific thread for this question but no luck.

So, this thread looks like a good place to ask THE question: what is the good,, bad and ugly of removing the shorter (one on the bottom) and just run the main spring??
Will it lower the truck?? Obviously, the load capacity will go down but can be replaced with air bags (had them on my 2005 Ranger...) worked great.

@SOHK_Alumni : was it straight forward to move the spring under the axle?? I mean, do it on the driveway?? or the spring shop had to do it...
Do yourself a favor. If you want to lower the truck then but the kit that cost a bunch of money. Dont want to spend money? Dont lower it. My bets advice

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Do yourself a favor. If you want to lower the truck then but the kit that cost a bunch of money. Dont want to spend money? Dont lower it. My bets advice
I don't mind spending the money if necessary, but in all the threads on lowering, re-arch the springs, the Control Freak 3 link with panard bar (2 wheel drive only), Deaver spring setup, etc., I have not seen any comments on removing the "helper" spring. If Ford goal was best in class load capacity, it may be there only for that purpose and removing it not hurt anything other than total load capacity.

SOHK_Alumni's approach seems likely to be reasonable priced relative the rest.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't mind spending the money if necessary, but in all the threads on lowering, re-arch the springs, the Control Freak 3 link with panard bar (2 wheel drive only), Deaver spring setup, etc., I have not seen any comments on removing the "helper" spring. If Ford goal was best in class load capacity, it may be there only for that purpose and removing it not hurt anything other than total load capacity.

SOHK_Alumni's approach seems likely to be reasonable priced relative the rest.
It may also compromise the handeling of the truck ina way that you dont want. How bad in particular? Can't say but in my opinion it isnt worth it

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

When we started to develop the SCCA Racetrucks, the lowering drastically altered handling and we needed to work hard to get the truck back to neutral handling and go from there to get to the best handling trucks in the series...particularly to adapt to Steve Saleen's weird driving style as well as balance the truck. Lesson here is that just dropping the truck lower may not be the answer without more development of both the front and rear suspension, including new alignment specs too.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored