Who else is planning to lower their Ranger ?

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I appreciate your ingenuity! My Ranger is a daily driver and my time is limited but I would love to try fabricating like you do! Please keep us informed on V2.0!
Oh yea, not only is my truck a daily driver, it's a work truck so keeping it on the road it critical. The night the spring broke, I was heading home from picking up some supplies for an A/C install the next day. Had to slam together a road worthy repair to meet my commitments.

My plan is to publish my re-worked Pacer solution one fully sorted out. The cost of just shipping a pair of the Dever, Icon or OME springs is close to the total cost of the 3 Pacer springs delivered so I think a more affordable path is available.
Sponsored

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crew 4x4
Occupation
USMC Retired; Mech.Engineer
I've started work on my version 2 at the back.

After about 25k miles on my lowered Ranger, one of the re-arched OEM mono leafs broke at a manufacturing flaw in the spring.

I've bought 3 oem spec leaf springs from (don't laugh) a later AMC Pacer. Dimensionally a near perfect fit but with huge arch abd much softer.

The arch gives me plenty of room for the flipped axle, the 3rd spring and long, soft leafs give me plenty of options to stiffen the rate to something more appropriate for the Ranger.

The plan is to balance ride height and stiffness to keep my lowered stance and soften the bone jarring ride.

V 2.0 at the front will use custom coils, longer and softer than OEM again to keep lowered stance and improve the ride.
Hard Knox wanted to say thanks for the pixes and advice on the lowering of the ranger.
I'm looking still at machined 6160 Al saddle perches for the flip and thru bolting and clamping with a 1/4" thk rubber cush between the flipped tube and the spring perch. Not sure about re-arching though. Thoughts? Again, thanks for the scoop.
BTW, should I be concerned on the drive shaft and pinion angles?
Semper Fi,
Papa Bill

Reactions: Doc

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Hard Knox wanted to say thanks for the pixes and advice on the lowering of the ranger.
I'm looking still at machined 6160 Al saddle perches for the flip and thru bolting and clamping with a 1/4" thk rubber cush between the flipped tube and the spring perch. Not sure about re-arching though. Thoughts? Again, thanks for the scoop.
BTW, should I be concerned on the drive shaft and pinion angles?
Semper Fi,
Papa Bill
I would be VERY hesitant about adding cushioning anywhere in the axle to spring system. That whole area needs to be mechanically/dimensionally stable.

Yes, pinion angle must me taken into account. I used a magnetic angle finder to measure the output flange angle at the transmission, then the input flange on the diff. Once flipped, used the u-bolts to dial the pinion angle back to spec. (Basically output flange minus 1°)

Without re-arching the spring, you'll get the better part of a 6" drop. If that's not your target, longer shackles will be needed to reduce the drop.

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Greeting Gents and Gals,
Been studying the 2019 Ranger undercarriage along with some good advice from SOHK, and I may have a lowering rear solution .
1. Get pinion measurements for correct angles.

2. Going to get lifting shackles for the rear springs and raise the back end however much , (2"-4"?), then Flip the axle so it is axle / spring vs. spring / axle configuration.

3. Obtain some aluminum lift blocks and 2 - axle perches 3.15" dia., along with 2 pcs 1/2" thk steel for 2 hold down pads on the bottom of the spring.

4. The hold down pads(2) are 5" x 6", and then drill holes for the u-bolts templating off the the aluminum hold down on the bottom of the spring pack.

5. Tie all together with aluminum lifting blocks, 5"x6" with the same holes.
Longitude

6. Should do OK. I just have to find the rear shackles for lift. and perches. I'll machine the pads and plates and lift block.

Thoughts,Comments, Recommendations>
Thanks Gents.
Semper Fi,
PapaBill

Attachments

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Greeting Gents and Gals,
Been studying the 2019 Ranger undercarriage along with some good advice from SOHK, and I may have a lowering rear solution .
1. Get pinion measurements for correct angles.

2. Going to get lifting shackles for the rear springs and raise the back end however much , (2"-4"?), then Flip the axle so it is axle / spring vs. spring / axle configuration.

3. Obtain some aluminum lift blocks and 2 - axle perches 3.15" dia., along with 2 pcs 1/2" thk steel for 2 hold down pads on the bottom of the spring.

4. The hold down pads(2) are 5" x 6", and then drill holes for the u-bolts templating off the the aluminum hold down on the bottom of the spring pack.

5. Tie all together with aluminum lifting blocks, 5"x6" with the same holes.
Longitude

6. Should do OK. I just have to find the rear shackles for lift. and perches. I'll machine the pads and plates and lift block.

Thoughts,Comments, Recommendations>
Thanks Gents.
Semper Fi,
PapaBill
Welcome! Belltech beat you to it. Check out the thread "Anybody else planning to lower their Ranger". We have a few members who have already installed the full lowering kit and, some of us have kits on order. Pictures and reviews are included in some of the posts. The kit is available as individual pieces if you are only looking to bring down the rear. See you there!

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welcome! Belltech beat you to it. Check out the thread "Anybody else planning to lower their Ranger". We have a few members who have already installed the full lowering kit and, some of us have kits on order. Pictures and reviews are included in some of the posts. The kit is available as individual pieces if you are only looking to bring down the rear. See you there!
Kevin,
Thanks for the scoop. This will work and they had step-by-step instructions that even I could follow.
Yes, I'm looking at only the rear. Front is OK.
Lord knows why they jacked up the back end as high as they did. It is tough to get anything in and out of the bed. Maybe following the 1960's trend of "muscle car cool"?
It is interesting that I was going to make all those parts except for the U bolts. Your information and recommendation will save a lot of machine time.

Thanks again for you help.
Semper Fidelis,
Bill

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Justin,
Thanks for your information on the lowering the Ranger. I think if just the rear is lowered , it might "squat it"? Don't want that.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Semper Fi,
Bill

PapaBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Justin,
Thanks for your information on the lowering the Ranger. I think if just the rear is lowered , it might "squat it"? Don't want that.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Semper Fi,
Bill
Justin,BTW, Great pixes and instructions from Belltech.
Great job.
Thanks,
SF
Bill
Sponsored