What are your thoughts on the Ranger's long-term durability?

Do you believe the 5th Gen Ranger is a durable truck?

• Yes, it is a very durable truck.

• Yes, in comparison with the competition, but not as durable as previous generation trucks.

• It is a moderately durable truck.

• No, not in comparison with the competition.

• No, this truck is not at all durable.

• I am unsure about the durability of this truck.

Results are only viewable after voting.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Maintenance is different than repairs.. although repairs should be fairly simple as well. Your word choice is kinda odd to me. Sounds like you have more of a bone to pick with Ford than just reliability issues? Also sounds like Ford really has hurt you over the name choice of the new Mach E. Maybe just go back to dodge now?
I too have a problem with the Mustang Mach E. Actually the E part. Sort of an oxymoron, probably coined by the marketing/eco people. No E vehicle will live up to the Mach name. Now I am going to cut the eco off the boost. Are they going to put more loud fake exhaust noise on the E stuff. Sorry it is not the fossil fuels, its too many animal farts. :eek:
Sponsored

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Maintenance is different than repairs.. although repairs should be fairly simple as well. Your word choice is kinda odd to me. Sounds like you have more of a bone to pick with Ford than just reliability issues? Also sounds like Ford really has hurt you over the name choice of the new Mach E. Maybe just go back to dodge now?
Uhh, yeah that’s what I meant with “I’m about done with Ford” And yeah, it is disappointing that Ford chose to ape the legacy and history of the Mustang to try to sell an electric SUV. I’ve been in the Mustang community for years, have owned 4, including the 86 GT that I still own. A lot of us feel the same way.

Moving along, I’d argue that repairs are a type of maintenance, so I’m quite happy with my choice of words, but I’m not going to waste my time splitting hairs...

If you love Ford, that’s awesome. Enjoy. I’ve spent my whole life defending Ford around the Chevy guys and the Mopar guys, and the import guys. I’m not happy with certain things about the brand and their current products, and feel fully qualified to have that opinion.

While I still love the Ranger, and consider it my favorite midsize truck, I have doubts as to its durability, which is the topic of the thread.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Having spent time in Australia over a couple of long vacations, I was able to see 5G style Rangers on the road up close and personal. Loved the look of the trucks and they aged well. Given the ocean air and outback, I feel if they held up in Oz, America will be a piece of cake. I bought my 2019 in November, have about 10,500 miles now without any issues. My advice is not to project negativity into the future, enjoy your truck in the now, if issues come up deal with them at that time. Ford trucks have a long and storied history. They have earned the benefit of the doubt.

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
At least at elevation the engines do t last. Local dealer has 2 with bad motors in right now and said they’ve had a few others. Tons of fuel in the oil from piston rings and blow by and the lower viscosity is killing main bearings. I’ve started changing the oil at 3000 miles and I get about 0.5qts out more than I put in. That’s quite a lot of fuel.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
At least at elevation the engines do t last. Local dealer has 2 with bad motors in right now and said they’ve had a few others. Tons of fuel in the oil from piston rings and blow by and the lower viscosity is killing main bearings. I’ve started changing the oil at 3000 miles and I get about 0.5qts out more than I put in. That’s quite a lot of fuel.
I feel like if it was this common you would here of a lot more people having issues on here... ??‍♂

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Think there is a difference between what gas you put in it? Do you put premium?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
My conversation with Joe (owner of UPR) was he suggested going with higher viscosity synthetic oil. I'm not confident enough to try that since I don't know how to monitor the impact on the motor.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
About 19 months and 5500 miles. At my late (senior) age and low annual miles with my eye on a small RV trailer I expect this to be my last truck if It takes as long to get to 100K as my last PU - So yes. I portend it to be *atleast reliable to 100K miles from what I can see just now.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
22,000 miles and going strong. I have many trips from NJ to NC in the future so the miles are going to add up fast. My favorite option has to be the adaptive cruise control on these trips. I hope it lasts because these trucks are getting to friggin' expensive.

I don't find myself "defending" Ford because I don't give a crap what you drive. You want to drive a crappy Chevy or Dodge go for it. I had a Dodge van many years ago and parts started falling off of it. One day I pulled the emergency brake handle and it came off in my hand. You know what they said? I pulled it too hard. HAHAHAHAHA.

Recently I've had a 2007 and 2015 Mustang GTs, a 2013 F-150 Screw Ecobeast, and now a 2019 Ranger. The F-150 Screw (another first year vehicle - Ecoboost) gave me some problems but they were all resolved by a reliable Ford dealer. Ford gave me a FREE three year extended warranty for my problems (I had to ask) which I did not have to use. Ford stands behind their products and have never let me down.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, now what scientific conclusion have you reached on the longevity of the Ford Ranger? You should try your local soothsayer. :ontheloo:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Ford tests to the equivalent of 150,000 miles of a 90% customer. No one here is a 90% customer as this is just flat too grueling. We are talking Mining operations, Oil field service, Package delivery in Los Angeles for example. Ranger was and is no exception to this criteria.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

KJ Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4WD
6,000 miles into it... 7 months, or so. 2020 XLT FX4.

I've got fuel in the oil. Dipstick reads ridiculously high. Oil & filter changes at 1,500/3,000/6,000. I'm putting in 6-quarts (Mobil 1, 5W30 Extended Performance), and getting out well-over that amount.

Oily residue inside the Driver's-side, rear-wheel. After two trips to the Dealer, they just replaced the rear-axle/seal, yesterday.

I hear some sort of brake squeal in drive-thrus and stop-and-go traffic... no one's figured that one out, 'cause I can't "duplicate" it for the Dealer.

The exhaust drips onto my driveway. Looks like an oil stain, but I'm reading, "It's supposed to do that".

BUT... it sure LOOKS cool, and I dig drivin' it.

I'll be turning the big 5-0 when the Raptor (potentially) hits NA. I just may try and move up into one.

In closing...

I love MY truck when I'm in it, or looking at it.

I worry about THAT truck, when I'm just sitting here, thinking about it ?

Mr.Mel

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1965 Mustang
Occupation
Selling Stuff
Interesting the Ford Dealer is offering the cleaning as alleviating all of the potential issues listed but no mention at what mileage that should be performed at or most importantly no mention in the manual this Service is to be done. So the Dealer says it needs / should be done but Ford does not show it in a Maintenance schedule.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
6,000 miles into it... 7 months, or so. 2020 XLT FX4.

I've got fuel in the oil. Dipstick reads ridiculously high. Oil & filter changes at 1,500/3,000/6,000. I'm putting in 6-quarts (Mobil 1, 5W30 Extended Performance), and getting out well-over that amount.

Oily residue inside the Driver's-side, rear-wheel. After two trips to the Dealer, they just replaced the rear-axle/seal, yesterday.

I hear some sort of brake squeal in drive-thrus and stop-and-go traffic... no one's figured that one out, 'cause I can't "duplicate" it for the Dealer.

The exhaust drips onto my driveway. Looks like an oil stain, but I'm reading, "It's supposed to do that".

BUT... it sure LOOKS cool, and I dig drivin' it.

I'll be turning the big 5-0 when the Raptor (potentially) hits NA. I just may try and move up into one.

In closing...

I love MY truck when I'm in it, or looking at it.

I worry about THAT truck, when I'm just sitting here, thinking about it ?
Perhaps your biggest problem is condensation caused by short trips....exhaust dripping in drive way and engine oil holding moisture ......your mileage indicates you are driving a lot...more than average, but maybe too short of trips in-between long ones. The engine in any any vehicle will build up condensation due to variance in OAT and operating temps and humidity. Engines need to be run enough to evaporate (burn off) condensation....if you watch some folks exhaust as they drive, water comes out due to short trips creating condensation and engine not hot long enough to burn out the moisture.
Sponsored