What are your thoughts on normal wear and tear / environmental paint damage?

Do you also obsess over small imperfections caused by Environmental damage to your truck?

• Total voters

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
While waxing near the underside of rocker panel I noticed all the chips. Truck is only 10 months old and have yet to take it off-road. I suspect many of these were there from day 1 but failed to see them until I was up close with my glasses on. Def gotta get this fixed but doubt Ford will accept responsibility since so much time has passed. Looking for quality touch up kits today for Oxford White
When I was getting my Bullet Bedliner sprayed in, I asked about spraying the rocker panels, and was quoted $400.00 cause they said the side rails would have to be removed, labor, ect ect. That cost was only $50 bucks cheaper than the bed liner cost. OUCH !!!
Didn't do it, but I plan on, one day, just giving the rockers a super good cleaning, de-grease/wax, and just taping off the area above the rockers. Going to use some of the spray can bed liner and just coat the rockers...no more worry about rock/paint chips.
Sponsored

RangerRalph

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Kia Soul !
Occupation
I.T.
I made the mistake of clay baring my Abarth and my wife's Kia you really want to see rock chips, scratches and imperfections go over your paint with a clay bar. I try to detail to the level of my sister her vehicles are spotless and the depth of the color is ridiculous.
My sister's Envoy this is 10 coats of wax and various products the top photo is Mothers CMX
Screenshot_20220618-130150_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20220618-130223_Messages.jpg

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I wash it when I have time and weather permits. Sometimes, like winter, its a couple of months.
To help prevent tailgate damage, I installed a dampner... it goes too slow to cause damage...

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
When I was getting my Bullet Bedliner sprayed in, I asked about spraying the rocker panels, and was quoted $400.00 cause they said the side rails would have to be removed, labor, ect ect. That cost was only $50 bucks cheaper than the bed liner cost. OUCH !!!
Didn't do it, but I plan on, one day, just giving the rockers a super good cleaning, de-grease/wax, and just taping off the area above the rockers. Going to use some of the spray can bed liner and just coat the rockers...no more worry about rock/paint chips.
The black spray liner would look nice trimmed out under doors but is steep price for such small coverage area. Seen they have adhesive wraps cheap but the kinda in penny pinching mode at the moment. Hell I still have a practical need for bedliner, tonneau cover and side steps but just haven t pulled the trigger yet
Sponsored