What are your thoughts on the Ranger's long-term durability?

Do you believe the 5th Gen Ranger is a durable truck?

• Yes, it is a very durable truck.

• Yes, in comparison with the competition, but not as durable as previous generation trucks.

• It is a moderately durable truck.

• No, not in comparison with the competition.

• No, this truck is not at all durable.

• I am unsure about the durability of this truck.

Results are only viewable after voting.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's a Ford dealer offering that? Cool. Wonder what they use to actually remove the carbon? From what I've read chemicals won't do the job. It actually takes abrasives ( walnut shells) to get it done. When you do it let us know how how it turned out.
That's the impression I had too. There was this post below I read and saved that discussed walnut blasting and using chemicals. I'll admit I have zero knowledge about this as this is my first turbo so I'd like to how it works out if RP gets it done. The walnut blasting looks like it's about $300-$400 according to post #22 which seems like a better way to go to get everything cleaned good and get the gunk out of there too. There's also good before and after pictures from a WB.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-with-crc-gdi-ivdĀ®-intake-valve-cleaner.4721/

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg
Sponsored

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
How can any of us truly know how they will hold up? The American version is too new to know.

Yes, with proper maintenance, they should.

I never keep my vehicles more than 4-5 years so I'll never really know.

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Honestly, I donā€™t trust it long term. Besides all the low quality exterior and cosmetic issues the OP is concerned about which I agree with, Iā€™ve already had to take mine in for a failed driveshaft bearing at only 2000 miles. Lots of stories about the fuel in the oil issue, but I havenā€™t even paid attention to that on mine yet, donā€™t really care. Ive decided Iā€™m going to probably get rid of it right around the 3 year/36000 mile mark, so if anything happens before then, Iā€™m not worried, after itā€™ll be someone elseā€™s problem. The whole truck seems like a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen.
All that being said, I like the looks, I like how it handles and performs on and off road. I love the size, and I generally love driving it. But between the issues Iā€™ve already had with this truck, and past maintenance headaches with a 2016 Mustang GT I owned previously, this may be my last Ford.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Honestly, I donā€™t trust it long term. Besides all the low quality exterior and cosmetic issues the OP is concerned about which I agree with, Iā€™ve already had to take mine in for a failed driveshaft bearing at only 2000 miles. Lots of stories about the fuel in the oil issue, but I havenā€™t even paid attention to that on mine yet, donā€™t really care. Ive decided Iā€™m going to probably get rid of it right around the 3 year/36000 mile mark, so if anything happens before then, Iā€™m not worried, after itā€™ll be someone elseā€™s problem. The whole truck seems like a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen.
All that being said, I like the looks, I like how it handles and performs on and off road. I love the size, and I generally love driving it. But between the issues Iā€™ve already had with this truck, and past maintenance headaches with a 2016 Mustang GT I owned previously, this may be my last Ford.
I'm curious as to what you mean by maintenance nightmare. Care to elaborate a bit more please?

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
I'm curious as to what you mean by maintenance nightmare. Care to elaborate a bit more please?
Expensive repairs post warranty. Premature wear to the engine due to diluted oil. Coked up intake valves. Another driveshaft bearing failure or transmission damage due to unbalanced or incorrectly installed driveshaft. AC system failures (had this issue with the Mustang, thankfully still under warranty)

I donā€™t know. Who knows, may not have another single issue for 250,000 miles.

Itā€™s just not very confidence inspiring to me for some reason.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Expensive repairs post warranty. Premature wear to the engine due to diluted oil. Coked up intake valves. Another driveshaft bearing failure or transmission damage due to unbalanced or incorrectly installed driveshaft. AC system failures (had this issue with the Mustang, thankfully still under warranty)

I donā€™t know. Who knows, may not have another single issue for 250,000 miles.

Itā€™s just not very confidence inspiring to me for some reason.
The diluted oil is something i have been very sceptical about. I have a hard time beliving it especially since my truck does just fine and it has 38,000 miles on it with no problems. For carbon buildup on the valves. Well that just comes down to a normal maintenance that has to be performed for direct injected engines that do not have the added port injectors. Like it or not it mist be done. Does a vehicle seem to have more problems after the warranty? Generally speaking yes but in my honest opinion it doesnt matter what you buy. These things can happen. The only major thing I have had happen to my truck is the HVAC box warping and it was a pain. Thankfully under warranty.

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
Havenā€™t heard about the HVAC box warping. What happened there?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Havenā€™t heard about the HVAC box warping. What happened there?
There is a bulletin for it. Apparently the first design of the distribution box(only controls the temp and where it goes) can warp on either drivers or passenger side where the temp door will not change temp when commanded. The motor would still move but the door woyld come out of the cam. It was a pain but it is fixed now.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
A maintenance nightmare? I would say thatā€™s quite a stretch.. you should buy a BMW, Audi, or something of that sort. Maintenance on the Ranger is about as simple as it gets

20Ranger4wd

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Sport 4x4
A maintenance nightmare? I would say thatā€™s quite a stretch.. you should buy a BMW, Audi, or something of that sort. Maintenance on the Ranger is about as simple as it gets
No doubt, but I donā€™t care how simple it is to work on, I donā€™t want to have to be fixing crap constantly. And I donā€™t care what brand it is these days, parts ainā€™t cheap. So far this thing didnā€™t even make its first oil change before its first failure. And my previous Ford didnā€™t make it 10K. Probably just my bad luck, but in the last 11 years, weā€™ve also had a ā€˜10 Jeep Liberty, a ā€˜12 Grand Cherokee, and a ā€˜18 Dodge Durango R/T (still have that one) as our family hauler, and had zero issues with any of them. And I always thought Dodge stuff was crap growing up....

Iā€™ve been a Ford guy since I was 16 years old, (all of my other vehicles before the Jeeps and Durango) but Iā€™m about done. Besides being the most unreliable vehicles Iā€™ve owned in the past 10 years, I donā€™t really care for any of the current lineup except for the Ranger and the Mustang. And theyā€™ve now shat all over the Mustang name and legacy with that ridiculous Mach-E ā€œMustangā€ crossover suv.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I love it. Slowly buying parts to build it into a prerunner. I'll be old before I know it so I'm enjoying it. The thing is a blast and that's what matters for me. I'll upgrade the radiator and intercooler and probably a trans cooler. Gonna fully cage it and beat it in the dirt. I want 14-16 inches of travel in the front and 16 in the rear. The most expensive mod for it will be a superduty. When the engine gives who knows what I'll put in there. I want to keep it forever it will be legendary.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
you wont have to worry about that.
in 20yrs Tesla will have bought out every manufacturer by then....or at least bought out every politician to regulate the country to suit his needs and no one elses.

Lol, true that.
I was being sarcastic about not buying. In 20 yrs I might be in a old age home....
Anyway, in10 yrs we will be renting, won't be allowed to own anything & we'll
all be happy... so 'they' claim.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
No doubt, but I donā€™t care how simple it is to work on, I donā€™t want to have to be fixing crap constantly. And I donā€™t care what brand it is these days, parts ainā€™t cheap. So far this thing didnā€™t even make its first oil change before its first failure. And my previous Ford didnā€™t make it 10K. Probably just my bad luck, but in the last 11 years, weā€™ve also had a ā€˜10 Jeep Liberty, a ā€˜12 Grand Cherokee, and a ā€˜18 Dodge Durango R/T (still have that one) as our family hauler, and had zero issues with any of them. And I always thought Dodge stuff was crap growing up....

Iā€™ve been a Ford guy since I was 16 years old, (all of my other vehicles before the Jeeps and Durango) but Iā€™m about done. Besides being the most unreliable vehicles Iā€™ve owned in the past 10 years, I donā€™t really care for any of the current lineup except for the Ranger and the Mustang. And theyā€™ve now shat all over the Mustang name and legacy with that ridiculous Mach-E ā€œMustangā€ crossover suv.
Maintenance is different than repairs.. although repairs should be fairly simple as well. Your word choice is kinda odd to me. Sounds like you have more of a bone to pick with Ford than just reliability issues? Also sounds like Ford really has hurt you over the name choice of the new Mach E. Maybe just go back to dodge now?
Sponsored