What are you guys towing?

lsunk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford f250, 2015 ford fusion
Hey everyone, Im currently in the market for a new truck and Im seriously considering the new ranger. One requirement is for my truck to be able to tow my boat. I currently use my 6.0 diesel to tow it, but its way overkill. On paper it seems like it should be no issue, but wanted to see what kind of weights you guys have towed so far (particularly up boat ramps) . I estimate my boat weighs about 6,000 lbs fully loaded including trailer. I wont be going far, just from boat ramp to storage (approx. 3 miles). Thanks again!
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
With the stunted bed, I struggle to understand what you would could possibly put in it that would tip the scales at 1000#. Are you hauling a concrete slab to your campsite? My trailer is 4200# wet, and I have a weight distributing hitch, so I will make the tongue weight as high as possible then remove some of that with the torsion bars. With my full family, plus all our stuff, I couldn't hope to have 1000# of gear in the truck. Especially since most bulky stuff goes in the trailer.

Please note that this is not a sarcastic asshat reply, I'm genuinely curious what I could put in the bed :)
No concrete slabs included , but the driver and passengers are included, four people would be 6-800 pounds of it.
Two bicycles, a cooler full of ice,chairs screen room etc. You do the math.
Read J2807 with a grain of salt which will protect your BP.
Remember "Rating" and "capacity" are terms which are often used interchangeably.
Pulling a boat up a ramp in first gear is surely not the same as accelerating to 70MPH up a long grade.
They are not interchangeable, the first is calculation with arbitrary parameters, the latter is a demonstrable absolute.
My guess is that the Ranger will do well for you with applied common sense adherence to ratings, but YOUR guess is the one which counts.

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
No concrete slabs included , but the driver and passengers are included, four people would be 6-800 pounds of it.
Two bicycles, a cooler full of ice,chairs screen room etc. You do the math.
My passengers are all small, I didn't really include them in my guesstimate. But I can see my cooler being in the 1000# range :) I usually put that in the camper though for obvious reasons...

Makes sense to me now.

My friends material calculator says the estimate of roughly 2500# is pretty accurate :)

http://mtffarms.com/calculator.htm

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
1555547737714-2089000980.jpg
1555547713801-1001194994.jpg
Actually, the take away from that circled portion is that trailer tongue weight is part of payload.

10% is generally too little tongue weight ...so if you choose to tow a 7500 pound trailer with 900 pounds tongue weight and four hundred pounds of passengers in your Lariat SuperCrew, be prepared for only about 250 pounds of cargo. Even if you agree with the 10% per J2807 your cargo will be only 400 pounds.
To me this means that a realistic trailer for the new Ranger would be about 5000 pounds, which would leave a thousand pounds for people and stuff to max out.

I bought mine for maximum payload (STX SuperCab) and overkill for a trailer under 2500 pounds. Subtracting tongue weight I am then left with 1500 pounds for people and stuff to maximum payload.
Leaves me with a good margin of a thousand pounds of space for toys and gear, of which I would prefer not to use 100%.
This is the type of discussion that I was hoping for thank you. Blindly accepting fords ratings are logical not all are equal. I have a class A not all tractors can pull the same amount. And these can't either. I hope that this makes sense. And as for you trolls that don't have a ranger go somewhere else. Here's what I want to tow and here's what I want to tow it with. Thanks Floyd

Last edited:

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Actually, the take away from that circled portion is that trailer tongue weight is part of payload.

10% is generally too little tongue weight ...so if you choose to tow a 7500 pound trailer with 900 pounds tongue weight and four hundred pounds of passengers in your Lariat SuperCrew, be prepared for only about 250 pounds of cargo. Even if you agree with the 10% per J2807 your cargo will be only 400 pounds.
To me this means that a realistic trailer for the new Ranger would be about 5000 pounds, which would leave a thousand pounds for people and stuff to max out.

I bought mine for maximum payload (STX SuperCab) and overkill for a trailer under 2500 pounds. Subtracting tongue weight I am then left with 1500 pounds for people and stuff to maximum payload.
Leaves me with a good margin of a thousand pounds of space for toys and gear, of which I would prefer not to use 100%.
This is the type of discussion that I was hoping for thank you. Blindly accepting fords ratings are logical not all are equal. I have a class A not all tractors can pull the same amount. And these can't either. I hope that this makes sense. And as for you trolls that don't have a ranger go somewhere else. Here's what I want to tow and here's what I want to tow it with.
Ditto. You should probably read the manual very carefully before trying to tow anything. Good luck.
I have and it's ambiguous at best my next move is to visit the good folks at the MDOT commercial enforcement. ÀAAH and then see what they say.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I have and it's ambiguous at best my next move is to visit the good folks at the MDOT commercial enforcement. ÀAAH and then see what they say.
There's nothing ambiguous, there's a little simple math, and I have no idea why you're acting like this. You wanna ask someone else, knock yourself out. Maybe they can help with the math.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
There's nothing ambiguous, there's a little simple math, and I have no idea why you're acting like this. You wanna ask someone else, knock yourself out. Maybe they can help with the math.
I have ocd. And have violated my rule #1 change the things you can accept the things can't and know the difference. Called FORD 7500 OK called MDOT enforcement 7500 OK. Ohhh that's three rules. Ocd again. Am sorry for being a ass. Any hard feelings???

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have ocd. And have violated my rule #1 change the things you can accept the things can't and know the difference. Called FORD 7500 OK called MDOT enforcement 7500 OK. Ohhh that's three rules. Ocd again. Am sorry for being a ass. Any hard feelings???
I only have hard feelings for the concrete slab I'm going to pour specifically the right size to put in the bed of my truck and drive around with.

:) No harm in learning direct from "the horse's mouth".

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Has anyone had the opportunity to tow a flat deck car hauler with a car on it, about 5000-5500lbs?
I’ve been waiting two months for my tow hitch to arrive, as my truck didn’t come with the tow package, but am anxious to know what to expect.

DMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The Ranger will tow it, just take enough time that you don't have to try and speed. Keep an eye on big trucks and that pressure wave.
I am still going to add a set of air bags to take up a little bounce, cause that worries me no matter what truck I'm driving.
That's a nice trailer, very similar to mine. I have towed mine a few times now to get used to it's handling and Friday me and the wife are taking it to North Alabama for it's maiden camping trip. I will let everyone know how it goes.
It's only 2.5 hrs. to the site, but a good amount of large inclines and curves, some back roads and some interstate. I'm hoping everything goes well.
Well we made it. Friday was wet and stormy with very high winds, so I towed slow to fight the cross winds. Took me a bit longer to get to the campsite but the truck did well. Only had one crazy 18 wheeler pass me in a rainstorm doing about 80 and that got real sporty for a moment, but the truck and trailer handled it really well.
On the return trip it was sunny and no wind so I stayed around 55-60 mph and I sometimes forgot the trailer was back there. The truck handled to big hills, merge lanes and several quick stopping moments like a dream.
I did drop a lot of gas mileage though. It averaged out at 12 mpg on the return trip.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Well we made it. Friday was wet and stormy with very high winds, so I towed slow to fight the cross winds. Took me a bit longer to get to the campsite but the truck did well. Only had one crazy 18 wheeler pass me in a rainstorm doing about 80 and that got real sporty for a moment, but the truck and trailer handled it really well.
On the return trip it was sunny and no wind so I stayed around 55-60 mph and I sometimes forgot the trailer was back there. The truck handled to big hills, merge lanes and several quick stopping moments like a dream.
I did drop a lot of gas mileage though. It averaged out at 12 mpg on the return trip.
12 ain't bad, had ford put my redarc in about 230 bucks 202 for the unit. Didn't want to screw up a new trk and am not a automotive electrician. Will try to scale trailer, tractor and trk by this weekend. If all goes as I hope will report about towing 6000lbs on I-10.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had the opportunity to tow a flat deck car hauler with a car on it, about 5000-5500lbs?
I’ve been waiting two months for my tow hitch to arrive, as my truck didn’t come with the tow package, but am anxious to know what to expect.
Somewhere back months ago when I was reading every test drive that I could find of the Ranger while I waited was a video test of a comparison of Ranger and Tacoma towing 5000 lbs west of Denver up and over the divide. They both were capable of doing the job. I believe the Ranger beat the Tacoma but not by much. The gas mileage was about 5 mpg. So, that tells me how hard the engines were working. I believe that all Manufacturers are fudging the numbers larger every year to win the bragging rights. I would say just by my experience rule to NOT tow anything close to 7500 lbs. Towing on our roads now days with bad conditions, pot holes, wild semi drivers going too fast with larger and larger loads, driver experience, ability, and age, creates so many variables that giving yourself and the rest of us a large margin of error is prudent. Once that truck and trailer gets away from you for whatever the reason you are going for the ride of your life. It is the tail waging the dog when you put a large load behind a small truck. JMHO

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhere back months ago when I was reading every test drive that I could find of the Ranger while I waited was a video test of a comparison of Ranger and Tacoma towing 5000 lbs west of Denver up and over the divide. They both were capable of doing the job. I believe the Ranger beat the Tacoma but not by much. The gas mileage was about 5 mpg. So, that tells me how hard the engines were working. I believe that all Manufacturers are fudging the numbers larger every year to win the bragging rights. I would say just by my experience rule to NOT tow anything close to 7500 lbs. Towing on our roads now days with bad conditions, pot holes, wild semi drivers going too fast with larger and larger loads, driver experience, ability, and age, creates so many variables that giving yourself and the rest of us a large margin of error is prudent. Once that truck and trailer gets away from you for whatever the reason you are going for the ride of your life. It is the tail waging the dog when you put a large load behind a small truck. JMHO

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Every truck is tested to the same standard. You can't blame it on the manufacturers.
Blame it on J2807 !:LOL:
Then apply common sense.
I bought mine to do everything I plan to do. If that took a bigger truck I simply would not do those things.

The Ranger is biggest truck I'll ever own, with greater abilities than the one I just sold which towed my car dolly, car trailer, utility trailer, enclosed trailer and RVtrailer for 18 years without any ill effects.
Weight is simply not the biggest challenge... Boxy trailers are.
Sponsored

Last edited: