Transmission Woes

Spocksranger

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
The pcm update and flash were first for mine. So weird how 80 percent of the time before it was a problem the transmission was fine and working ok and then it seemed so quickly to get worse.
Did it fix the issue?
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Did it fix the issue?
I dont want to sour your enjoyment of the truck but full honesty no. My transmission is still a mess and i expect the transmission to need rebuild or replacement shortly after fords joke warranty is up. Ends at 36k and im at 27k. One dealer already said my warranty was void anyway lol. On the upside i think most of transmission issues are solved by the flash pcm and valve body rebuild that dealers will do as the tsb tells them to do so.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Transmission CDF Drum moving out of position was the culprit on my truck. Been trying to chase down the funky shifts and other transmission issues with my truck for a while now, and I should have it back soon (repaired under warranty). Fingers crossed that the transmission problems are behind me...

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Transmission CDF Drum moving out of position was the culprit on my truck. Been trying to chase down the funky shifts and other transmission issues with my truck for a while now, and I should have it back soon (repaired under warranty). Fingers crossed that the transmission problems are behind me...
How many miles on your Ranger?

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just shy of 57k. Problem first popped up (mildly, just before reaching operating temps) around 47k and was a noticeable issue about 5k miles later, to the point it was a safety/drivability concern. I sure as hell wasn't going to pull out into traffic, to any extent, with it acting up like it was. I even had a few people honk at me as I left red lights, had it get stuck on stupid during upshifts, and start slowing down before it picked up the next gear.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I dont want to sour your enjoyment of the truck but full honesty no. My transmission is still a mess and i expect the transmission to need rebuild or replacement shortly after fords joke warranty is up. Ends at 36k and im at 27k. One dealer already said my warranty was void anyway lol. On the upside i think most of transmission issues are solved by the flash pcm and valve body rebuild that dealers will do as the tsb tells them to do so.
Is it too late to get an extended warranty? If so, I'd start saving...about $6,000...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Is it too late to get an extended warranty? If so, I'd start saving...about $6,000...
sadly i dont think i would trust the extended warranty even if i had one. It has been pulling teeth just to get a dealer to do things with the full factory warranty still valid. if my transmission lasts till 36k I will remove all my add ons and take it the nearest dealer in my area and sell. I like the truck a lot and wanna keep it. but im not about to stay in the leaned over position for ford and ford dealers. Abbs was my last new ford, not on account of the transmission or other handful of minor things. purely due to ford and ford dealers not taking care of it as they are supposed to. hosing customers seems like job 1 for ford now. ?

MaxE731

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
If ford was replacing 90% of their transmissions they'd be out of business. The numbers simply don't support that.

I did recently get a TSB performed when I felt it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it had been, and it's settled in pretty well. I asked them to take a look at it because when it's at its best it's really nice to drive, and it seemed a bit off. If the TSB fixes things for good, then great. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it when it's an issue. But again, could most of the 10R80s be getting TSB service? No way, ford would be out of business. How many is it? We'll never know.

In general I hate all automatics, but I've been pretty happy with this one. Are there times when it might make a weird decision? Sure...but that's true of all automatics. So "it doesn't always do exactly what I think it should" isn't really a thing I worry about. It has its own characteristics, and when you learn them you can make it do what you want. A lot of the complaints seem to be along the lines of "it shifts more than the 3 speed hydramatic I'm used to so it must be broken", or "it doesn't use every one of the gears", both of which seem silly--it's got 10 gears and it's going to use them as it needs to. They seem to have (for the most part) achieved good efficiency when cruising light while maintaining the ability to work hard in the low range when that's what you need.

What is a valid concern (vs subjective disagreements about how it works) is whether the transmission will last. In modern times I've had a honda transmission start crapping out around 100k, and had problems years ago with a subaru transmission. Mostly I've driven manuals and haven't had such problems. :) Dramatic rhetoric aside, I don't think there's any evidence that the transmission that's been in one of the best selling vehicles on the road for more than 5 years has massive failure rates. Will some of them fail? For sure. Is it something that people need to be worrying about? Doesn't seem like it. So yeah, it's a valid concern, but one that people should consider once, note that things seem ok, and then just not lose sleep over it.
I thought it was just me needing to get used to the 10-speed tranny. My 2019 wants to run in 6th or 7th gear when I'm cruising at 25-30 in a residential area so it lugs, especially in warmer weather. I've actually got to where I manually shift in those situations so I can stay down in 4th or 5th gear. And it has some hard shifts up and down to 8th when under lower torque situations. If it shifts hard, I can count on it being in 8th when I look at the display. Hope they come out with a fix soon. As much as I love my Hot Pepper Red truck, it's giving me a wondering eye due to the tranny issues.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
if the transmission and leaking hood into the cylinder was fixed these 5g trucks would be so awesome...

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said, we're the Beta testers.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Regarding these failures I've been reading/viewing what I can in grim preparation hoping something (s) can be done to avoid/prolong/postpone some type of failure(s).

The source(s) of faults seem to be a potentially low transmission fluid level (from the factory - and my dealers didn't want to check either), software needing updating, a carrier bearing somehow impacting the trans, valve body and the Teflon bushings in the drum slipping or failing.

I've kept my truck in mostly temperate climates so far - South Florida, middle Georgia with some forays to Virginia and North Carolina during the summer/fall. 'Cold' shifting issues may not be apparent to me. I have used all the Ford push button transmission modes - regular D, S and tow intermittently a variety of loads and distances. I've towed a bit and haven't observed any temperatures in the factory gauges above 'normal.'

So maybe I'm just a lucky average owner so far. Like @Msfitoy may be warning if we want to be long term owners plan accordingly. At minimum the extended warranty. I've got that for the electronics and the AC blend door alone.

So what to do proactively? Getting dealers to step up to help preventively seems unreliable and unreasonably difficult. The software update - if your truck is eligible - sounds like a first/free option.

Apart from keeping an eye on the carrier bearing I don't know if there is a .ore durable fix there.

Checking the transmission fluid level by whatever means is next - the forum-developed dip stick can't get into my hands fast enough.

A transmission fluid and filter change by a shop ahead of Ford's schedule might be a good investment especially if you pay for the PPE upgrade pan. I don't know if the higher capacity one makes sense but I'll consider the argument. At least your fluid level should be right.

Between the costs if the pan and dipstick what are we spending in hardware, $500 so far?

With Ford defaulting to valve bodies as a proscribed solution, an alternative if I want to avoid the whole ordeal might be a 'performance' rebuild since there seems to be addressing some line pressures as they relate to lockup. It seems SunCoast Performance is the authority for Ford Trucks so $1400+ less installation. I have no idea how to deal with the programming at that point.

Going all in with them on their least expensive built trans (overbuilt for our trucks, but maybe a good thing) is seven grand.

Is that a good investment? It's a big percentage of the initial value/cost of the truck. I guess I'd have to determine what my return is in the long run and whether I would rather turn around and start putting money into another depreciating asset. I doubt a replacement truck after I exhaust the extended warranty would be $7K cheaper, more likely $14K more. Of course other stuff is likely to wear out or become obsolete.

I've already 'invested' a few grand into mine in add ins or upgraded parts.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Happen to have that TSB number handy?

yes, I’m too lazy to search the forum for it

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Ford, this is where you chime in and pledge to make it right. Hello? Hello?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
A quick online search for the 10R80 transmission shows there is more than one class action filed and active right now. One is in Massachusetts and the other Alabama. At some point there will be a resolution or mandated repair (valve body) replacement under a TSB.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Hey Ford, this is where you chime in and pledge to make it right. Hello? Hello?
Unlike the F-150 forum(s) we don't rate an actual Ford rep to steer conversation. Maybe good, maybe bad. Poor Phil, he's been great at regaling us with stories of his time with Ford and critiquing the current state of the company but I think independently we have a pretty good take on how Ford is treating their customers primarily because 5G NA is such a limited model in the Ford Universe.

The positive thing is how we deal with issues... The negative is how Ford doesn't acknowledge or assist us. I guess our experiences and the way we relate that to the public doesn't make enough of an impact on the market overall.
Sponsored