First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
The short of it is making sure that the dealership is following the warranty and policy guidelines set forth by Ford then submit the claims directly to FMC for payment of warranty work preformed
ok that makes sense. Thank you !
I hope I did not open a can of worms for you now lol. Once folks here about you knowing warranty info between ford and dealers they may be swarming you with questions on warranty issues / dealers.
Sponsored

21Blackout

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Warranty Administrator for FMC
ok that makes sense. Thank you !
I hope I did not open a can of worms for you now lol. Once folks here about you knowing warranty info between ford and dealers they may be swarming you with questions on warranty issues / dealers.
You're welcome, You can find the thread I started in my Profile where I'll try to answer said ?s

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
If ford was replacing 90% of their transmissions they'd be out of business. The numbers simply don't support that.

I did recently get a TSB performed when I felt it wasn't shifting as smoothly as it had been, and it's settled in pretty well. I asked them to take a look at it because when it's at its best it's really nice to drive, and it seemed a bit off. If the TSB fixes things for good, then great. If it doesn't, I'll deal with it when it's an issue. But again, could most of the 10R80s be getting TSB service? No way, ford would be out of business. How many is it? We'll never know.

In general I hate all automatics, but I've been pretty happy with this one. Are there times when it might make a weird decision? Sure...but that's true of all automatics. So "it doesn't always do exactly what I think it should" isn't really a thing I worry about. It has its own characteristics, and when you learn them you can make it do what you want. A lot of the complaints seem to be along the lines of "it shifts more than the 3 speed hydramatic I'm used to so it must be broken", or "it doesn't use every one of the gears", both of which seem silly--it's got 10 gears and it's going to use them as it needs to. They seem to have (for the most part) achieved good efficiency when cruising light while maintaining the ability to work hard in the low range when that's what you need.

What is a valid concern (vs subjective disagreements about how it works) is whether the transmission will last. In modern times I've had a honda transmission start crapping out around 100k, and had problems years ago with a subaru transmission. Mostly I've driven manuals and haven't had such problems. :) Dramatic rhetoric aside, I don't think there's any evidence that the transmission that's been in one of the best selling vehicles on the road for more than 5 years has massive failure rates. Will some of them fail? For sure. Is it something that people need to be worrying about? Doesn't seem like it. So yeah, it's a valid concern, but one that people should consider once, note that things seem ok, and then just not lose sleep over it.
Like I said, look around. The F-150 lawsuit says a lot IMHO.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am just trying to help people having issues with their transmission and relay what I have seen work for me and what I have found out from others on various forums, but if folks just want to question etc. that's fine. I can always keep my experiences and work with my tuner to myself. No skin off my back.

You guys are on your own.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is running wonderful but I have had a bump here and there over time with the tranny. It has only happened in D (drive) not S (sport). It happens when I'm just coasting along at speed and let off the gas.....then bump. It hasn't happened that much but I think that is enough to take her in for a check out considering all the issues in here. I'm at 97K and have the extended warranty out to 125K so hopefully I would not be in it for a bunch of dinero..... :oops:

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
I am just trying to help people having issues with their transmission and relay what I have seen work for me and what I have found out from others on various forums, but if folks just want to question etc. that's fine. I can always keep my experiences and work with my tuner to myself. No skin off my back.

You guys are on your own.
Well if it’s any consolation, I’ve read probably a hundred posts with transmission shifting issues and even more comments and not only on here. When I spoke with the dealership they said they were very backed up with transmission issues and mainly the 10 speeds. I can say that I’ve never even had to think about the transmission shifts of my other vehicles. This one is makes itself very noticeable. If I keep this truck and still have issues I’ll be probably using your tune. I’m guessing most probably don’t have or notice issues but for those of us that do, it’s nice to have people trying to figure it out. I’m sure overall the ranger is solid, but I’ve never had a single missed shift in the last 20 years of driving trucks until now. I’ve honestly never had a recall or major issue warranting taking a truck back in until now and now I have multiple issues and a recall. I’m sure most these trucks are fine but mines definitely not one of them. Could I live with it? Possibly. But not with a brand new truck.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is running wonderful but I have had a bump here and there over time with the tranny. It has only happened in D (drive) not S (sport). It happens when I'm just coasting along at speed and let off the gas.....then bump. It hasn't happened that much but I think that is enough to take her in for a check out considering all the issues in here. I'm at 97K and have the extended warranty out to 125K so hopefully I would not be in it for a bunch of dinero..... :oops:
You're 2,000 miles past grenade stage...probably holding out because you still have warranty...best of luck...maybe you'll have the unicorn that makes it past 100K...

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
FWIW, Took my Ranger in last week for a warranty review of the trans, for poor shift behavior. 59k. They said they needed to replace the valve body. The receipt shows they DID NOT actually replace the VB but did replace the separator plates and a few assorted gaskets/seals. They also updated the flash.

100% improvement. Still not ZF8 smooth but so damn close. Completely changed the shift strategy, gear timing, and skip-shift protocols. In the strongest possible terms, I recommend everyone have Ford perform this procedure. It is NOT snake oil.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not worrying about it won't keep it from happening. If the people on this forum are the only ones having the same problems that's still too many. My Scab cost me a great deal of money and it has had a glitchy trans since day one. If this sort of thing is accepted by the end user there is no incentive for the builder do do it better.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Not worrying about it won't keep it from happening. If the people on this forum are the only ones having the same problems that's still too many. My Scab cost me a great deal of money and it has had a glitchy trans since day one. If this sort of thing is accepted by the end user there is no incentive for the builder do do it better.
Hi Bill, I was wondering if your truck has had the pcm flash or valve body swap done yet?

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
FWIW, Took my Ranger in last week for a warranty review of the trans, for poor shift behavior. 59k. They said they needed to replace the valve body. The receipt shows they DID NOT actually replace the VB but did replace the separator plates and a few assorted gaskets/seals. They also updated the flash.

100% improvement. Still not ZF8 smooth but so damn close. Completely changed the shift strategy, gear timing, and skip-shift protocols. In the strongest possible terms, I recommend everyone have Ford perform this procedure. It is NOT snake oil.
Does the receipt call out any specific part numbers? From what I remember of the service manual, the valve body is replaced as a unit or I think you can change the system pressure or TC solenoid by itself, but I don't remember any plates.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Does the transmission do the same thing in tow/haul mode when towing? Or sport mode?

DaveT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
How much does it cost to replace the tranny with a brand new one?