SOLVED: Shimmer / slight lugging in rear when accelerating at low speed?

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1969 ProStreet Mustang, 94 Lightning, 2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Took delivery yesterday, 47 PSI. Except for the one that had a screw in the tread, that one had 40. New tire being ordered by the dealer.
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Does anyone have a copy of the PDI sheet they could post. When mine comes in I'd like to check it myself. I would be interesting to see how my dealer did the PDI.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a copy of the PDI sheet they could post. When mine comes in I'd like to check it myself. I would be interesting to see how my dealer did the PDI.
Don't know that they hand them out.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
I don't think tire pressure is the true solution to the low speed shutter. I'm running 30 PSI all around and still get the vibration when doing medium pedal launches from a stop.

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Don't know that they hand them out.
It's probably computer entered data but I was hoping someone had already found something on the internet. I spent an hour searching but found nothing specific to Ford trucks or Rangers..

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
I don't think tire pressure is the true solution to the low speed shutter. I'm running 30 PSI all around and still get the vibration when doing medium pedal launches from a stop.
I agree with you. My tires are set properly and I still get the slight shimmy / shudder during low speed acceleration. 2,500 miles or so on the truck, and while it seems less noticeable (maybe I'm getting used to it?), it's still there.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with you. My tires are set properly and I still get the slight shimmy / shudder during low speed acceleration. 2,500 miles or so on the truck, and while it seems less noticeable (maybe I'm getting used to it?), it's still there.
After driving mine for a day, I now understand what you are talking about - it is rather odd. Doesn't really bother me too much, but it would be great to know what is causing it. I don't remember feeling it when I test drove one, but maybe I didn't drive it enough.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I was watching The Straightpipes (Youtube car reviewers) review the Ranger and they mentioned the very slight vibration under acceleration at low speeds. Someone in the comments mentioned that they feel the same thing in their Edge. My hunch is that the engine isn't under boost yet and is "bunny hopping" because it doesn't quite have enough power to acceleration the vehicle. It's kind of like when you don't give a car enough gas while letting the clutch out in a manual, but much less exaggerated. If you hold the brake and launch it at about 1500 rpm, the vibration goes away, which points to the lack of boost under normal starts. But again, just a hunch...

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have one of the earlier builds that falls under the TSB and have been avoiding taking it into the dealer despite the low-speed shudder and rough shifting at times. Yesterday "part B" of the TSB finally happened; rough idle when cold. So I will be taking the truck in to get the TSB performed and wipe the transmission memory clean.

Has anyone noticed rough downshifts when coasting? This seems to happen the most when coasting up a hill towards a light or stop sign. Maybe it is because I am not used to a vehicle that uses transmission braking (if that's what it is) but it is a very noticeable bump when it drops gears. I am wondering if this is related to the TSB issue of rough upshifts and idling or if it is just the way the truck works.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the earlier builds that falls under the TSB and have been avoiding taking it into the dealer despite the low-speed shudder and rough shifting at times. Yesterday "part B" of the TSB finally happened; rough idle when cold. So I will be taking the truck in to get the TSB performed and wipe the transmission memory clean.

Has anyone noticed rough downshifts when coasting? This seems to happen the most when coasting up a hill towards a light or stop sign. Maybe it is because I am not used to a vehicle that uses transmission braking (if that's what it is) but it is a very noticeable bump when it drops gears. I am wondering if this is related to the TSB issue of rough upshifts and idling or if it is just the way the truck works.
I have noticed some transmission gear hunting or delay when coasting uphill. No more rough shifting since the TSB.

I would get the TSB and see if it improves.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I need to get mine in for the TSB for sure it absolutely has the issues that are being described in the TSB thread... That said, I could definitely attribute some of the shuddering under medium load to the ECU pulling timing from a knock sensor. I haven't had a data logger hooked up to test the theory, but that's what it feels like to me. I wonder if anyone running premium fuel notices this feeling at all?

I had the same feeling in my Focus which I did data log several times and it was during knock events running 87 that the engine felt like this.

I need to get the data logger on so that I can see what it's doing under these circumstances.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Regarding over inflated tires... I have heard that the dealerships like to keep the tires over inflated so that if the vehicle sits on the lot for awhile it will have less of a chance of getting flat spots on the tires due to lack of being driven. Same as when the vehicles get transported for long periods of time - transcontinental rail cars, cargo ships to other countries.

Also, if the tires were at proper levels then the dealerships would have to keep going around to top them up as they slowly lose psi each month. If the dealership has over a hundred something cars and half of them have sat on the lot for a few months. That is a lot of tires to be checked on for proper inflation!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Regarding over inflated tires... I have heard that the dealerships like to keep the tires over inflated so that if the vehicle sits on the lot for awhile it will have less of a chance of getting flat spots on the tires due to lack of being driven. Same as when the vehicles get transported for long periods of time - transcontinental rail cars, cargo ships to other countries.

Also, if the tires were at proper levels then the dealerships would have to keep going around to top them up as they slowly lose psi each month. If the dealership has over a hundred something cars and half of them have sat on the lot for a few months. That is a lot of tires to be checked on for proper inflation!
All points considered, all of us got our trucks from a dealer, and all of those dealers 1. Washed it, 2. Filled the gas tank, and 3. Made sure they tried to sell a bunch of add-ons that they have a big margin on, they could at least do the simple thing of making sure the tire pressure is remotely close to correct before I drive it off the lot.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I need to get mine in for the TSB for sure it absolutely has the issues that are being described in the TSB thread... That said, I could definitely attribute some of the shuddering under medium load to the ECU pulling timing from a knock sensor. I haven't had a data logger hooked up to test the theory, but that's what it feels like to me. I wonder if anyone running premium fuel notices this feeling at all?

I had the same feeling in my Focus which I did data log several times and it was during knock events running 87 that the engine felt like this.

I need to get the data logger on so that I can see what it's doing under these circumstances.
I’ve had several tanks of quality 91 through mine(all I run it, and it’s the highest costs e available locally), and still have the low speed shudder.
To me, it feels most like a drivetrain vibration, imagine very similar to an incorrect pinion angle.
Sponsored