Slight Skipping when accelerating

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I just turned 1,000 miles and I've been noticing a slight skipping when starting off especially when it's cold (not warmed up). It's been happening since around 500 miles but I figured it would work itself out.

This is my first turbo vehicle and I know there's a delay when "punching it" as the turbo spins up. I'm ok with that. Also, it seems the transmission shutters a little when in 1st/2nd gear and seems to be confused on which gear to use. It's not bad at all but I can certainly feel it.

Maybe it's just me but are others experiencing the same thing?
Sponsored

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just turned 1,000 miles and I've been noticing a slight skipping when starting off especially when it's cold (not warmed up). It's been happening since around 500 miles but I figured it would work itself out.

This is my first turbo vehicle and I know there's a delay when "punching it" as the turbo spins up. I'm ok with that. Also, it seems the transmission shutters a little when in 1st/2nd gear and seems to be confused on which gear to use. It's not bad at all but I can certainly feel it.

Yeah, I think it’s just the way mechanical things work. Even though we have really advanced vehicles from a technological standpoint, they’re still, for the most part, mechanical. Old people like me remember that engines need a certain amount of time to get up to speed when they’re cold and that they react differently to throttle positions depending upon conditions... Remember that your truck is not a video game but is a “real time” mechanical entity, and that it is affected by environmental conditions.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have the same behavior. The service manage at my dealership claims that the stutters in acceleration stem from poor programming in the transmission shift strategy. He says the overdrive continually engages and disengages in its search for the most economical spot. To me it feels like a fuel delivery issue (like it's cutting out) bit he insists it is not.

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Yeah, I think it’s just the way mechanical things work. Even though we have really advanced vehicles from a technological standpoint, they’re still, for the most part, mechanical. Old people like me remember that engines need a certain amount of time to get up to speed when they’re cold and that they react differently to throttle positions depending upon conditions... Remember that your truck is not a video game but is a “real time” mechanical entity, and that it is affected by environmental conditions.
Video game? What's that? I'm 62. Lol

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Video game? What's that? I'm 62. Lol
I’m getting old and starting to think like everybody’s younger than me... I was thinking about all of the high tech computer controls these vehicles have, yet at the heart of things remains a mechanical internal combustion engine. No insult intended. My truck seems to be operating more smoothly as I put more miles on it (I’m at about 4K now).

OP
OP
FX4Offroad

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I’m getting old and starting to think like everybody’s younger than me... I was thinking about all of the high tech computer controls these vehicles have, yet at the heart of things remains a mechanical internal combustion engine. No insult intended. My truck seems to be operating more smoothly as I put more miles on it (I’m at about 4K now).
Lol. No worries...no insult taken. I was trying to be funny...guess it was funnier in my head, as usual.

I'm also hoping it will get better with time/mileage.

Noseoil

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger / 2013 Honda Civic / Red Rocket mini bike (zoom!)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
"The service manage at my dealership claims that the stutters in acceleration stem from poor programming in the transmission shift strategy. He says the overdrive continually engages and disengages in its search for the most economical spot."

This is certainly possible. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used an after-market programming system & seen an improvement in throttle response. If it's just a software fix, it should be fairly simple with a remapping program & a tweak or two in the system's shift points. Does this happen in "S" mode, or is it gone?

One thing is certain, the newer vehicles are completely computer controlled now. As was already said, the interface between mechanical & computer is real. It's creating truly "cyborg" vehicles in this sense. There are gremlins running around out there & they're just looking for a place to set up shop & wreak havoc in computer systems, appliances, cars, trucks & airplanes, to name but a few things.

The future is here now, some old farts like me aren't necessarily comfortable with all of it, but that's not the issue, is it? Progress will continue in all things, our input & feelings on the subject are irrelevant.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
"The service manage at my dealership claims that the stutters in acceleration stem from poor programming in the transmission shift strategy. He says the overdrive continually engages and disengages in its search for the most economical spot."

This is certainly possible. I'd be interested to know if anyone has used an after-market programming system & seen an improvement in throttle response. If it's just a software fix, it should be fairly simple with a remapping program & a tweak or two in the system's shift points. Does this happen in "S" mode, or is it gone?

One thing is certain, the newer vehicles are completely computer controlled now. As was already said, the interface between mechanical & computer is real. It's creating truly "cyborg" vehicles in this sense. There are gremlins running around out there & they're just looking for a place to set up shop & wreak havoc in computer systems, appliances, cars, trucks & airplanes, to name but a few things.

The future is here now, some old farts like me aren't necessarily comfortable with all of it, but that's not the issue, is it? Progress will continue in all things, our input & feelings on the subject are irrelevant.
When I switch to sport it does definitely help but does not eliminate it. One thing I am coming to understand about this truck is that, in its quest to have good gas mileage, it always seems to be too high of a gear. It makes it feel jittery and guttless. Then, if you want to accelerate a little, it needs to downshift.

Here's a thread talking about various tunes guys are using. I am planning to get the Livernois tune when I can sneak it past the old lady. :)

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/livernois-vs-5-star-tuning.4056/

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
I have the same behavior. The service manage at my dealership claims that the stutters in acceleration stem from poor programming in the transmission shift strategy. He says the overdrive continually engages and disengages in its search for the most economical spot. To me it feels like a fuel delivery issue (like it's cutting out) bit he insists it is not.
Your dealer's description is exactly what mine feels like when it jerks and lurches.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO

Well, kinda. I notice when in "D" it will skip gears and such. 1 to 3 to 5, etc. Takes a little getting used to. Chances are that is what you're noticing. If you have the trailer towing package try pressing the trailer towing button. It's like sport mode lite. It will not skip gears and holds the gears slightly longer. Improves the drivability quite a bit.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
When I switch to sport it does definitely help but does not eliminate it. One thing I am coming to understand about this truck is that, in its quest to have good gas mileage, it always seems to be too high of a gear. It makes it feel jittery and guttless. Then, if you want to accelerate a little, it needs to downshift.

Here's a thread talking about various tunes guys are using. I am planning to get the Livernois tune when I can sneak it past the old lady. :)

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/livernois-vs-5-star-tuning.4056/
I see this behavior also when driving at slow speeds on some roads. When this happens I push the tow/haul button and this behavior completely goes away. I find myself using the tow/haul mode frequently when driving on city/residential streets. Pushing the tow/haul button is in fact using a different "tune" (same for sport mode) that Ford provides us for free.
Sponsored

Last edited: