Whistle noise when accelerating

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
2019 Ranger Lariat is making a whistling noise when accelerating. Only happens on half to 3/4 throttle. All the hoses and connections look to be tight. Is anyone else noticing this? The noise is separate from the turbo spooling. On a side note, my dads xlt doesn’t have the noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Check your kneuter valve?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Ranger Lariat is making a whistling noise when accelerating. Only happens on half to 3/4 throttle. All the hoses and connections look to be tight. Is anyone else noticing this? The noise is separate from the turbo spooling. On a side note, my dads xlt doesn’t have the noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Michael,

Where does the sound emanate? In the engine bay? It is a remote chance there is a sharp edge of a throttle plate or a metal casting or a hard molded plastic piece in the induction that results in a whistle. These kind of noises are very difficult to isolate and locate. I am guessing this is induction noise. Does this recur every time you accelerate? or only on occasion? If repeatable, take the truck to the dealer for diagnosis.

Have you done any mods like an aftermarket BOV?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor co. Retired

OP
OP

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I swapped the diverter valve and noise is still there.

OP
OP

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Almost sounds like the wastegate noise, but constant when accelerating. When you let off the gas it stops

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Almost sounds like the wastegate noise, but constant when accelerating. When you let off the gas it stops
Well Michael,

So you installed an aftermarket BOV and then returned to stock? Tells me that what ever you did during the install of the aftermarket BOV caused the problem and is still there, even after returning to stock. If this is the case, then you need to retrace all your steps for the install as it is something done during the install.

This is why it is very hard to diagnose certain problems as the full story is not provided.

Good luck...you need to retrace your steps.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
the sound was present before the bov install

OP
OP

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

OP
OP

Finitalia

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just got truck back from the dealer for the noise. They think it’s normal for these trucks to make the noise when cold before engine reaches temperature. It is noise from the wastegate opening and closing. They verified it with another truck they had on the lot that has been sitting for awhile. Let me know if you guys notice this on your trucks when you first start up in the morning. The noise comes on when accelerating and building boost under moderate acceleration, about 3/4 pedal. Engine has to be cold.
Thanks

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
My truck just started making this noise this week actually so I was glad to see this thread. It does it at full operating temp and only at moderate throttle. If I’m next to a car or wall on the road with them on my right, it’s extremely loud. With that, I’m almost wondering if it’s ultimately coming from my exhaust since it’s on the right.
I put in a new air filter today (OEM) thinking it could be my filter causing poor air flow but it didn’t change anything.

Sako887

First Name
Sarkis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My truck just started making this noise this week actually so I was glad to see this thread. It does it at full operating temp and only at moderate throttle. If I’m next to a car or wall on the road with them on my right, it’s extremely loud. With that, I’m almost wondering if it’s ultimately coming from my exhaust since it’s on the right.
I put in a new air filter today (OEM) thinking it could be my filter causing poor air flow but it didn’t change anything.
Did you ever get this figured out? Mine just started doing this a few days ago

Ranger2020zoomzoom

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Na
I installed a Flowmaster Super 10, or just the 10 without a resonator and mine just started doing it as well Uber wide open throttle at 4000-5000 rpm, sounds like a damn jet! It is a very high pitched whistle only in the higher RPM’s under WOT.

I believe it is the waste gate managing boost because the Flowmaster has a lot of flow and not a whole lot of back pressure so when it gets up into the higher rpm’s under WOT it’s managing the boost pressure.

THIS IS ALL A GUESS.

Stock downpipe with Livernois tune 91-93.
Mishimot Charge pipes.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Not doesn't sound normal...never heard this kind of noise on any vehicles I've ever been in...

mikedrees

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XL
Occupation
graphic designer
Mine has been doing the same thing. Only notice it when I'm towing my camper.

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Sounds like a leak of some sort. Maybe a boost leak? Could be the wastegate, bov, or a coupler somewhere along the line. I haven't spent much time under the hood on this engine but check your rubber boots and piping all along the turbo system. My SRT4 would make a similar noise before the boot blew off the intercooler. Easy fix.'

Also, I recommend buying a bluetooth obd2 sensor off amazon. They're like 12 bucks. With that and a free obd2 phone app you can monitor a lot of real time data while you're driving. For instance you can watch your boost while the noise is happening and if its holding at peak psi or leaking.
Sponsored