Sponsored

Pop/Clunk noise when turning wheel at a stop/low speed

Jhbryaniv

Well-Known Member
First Name
John
Joined
Sep 19, 2022
Threads
5
Messages
2,788
Reaction score
7,463
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
1
I’m glad you figured this out and man, I’m tired of hearing stories of how “technicians” mess up vehicles for a simple oil change - one took a sawzall to the belly pan of my Passat to make a hole to drain the oil instead of removing it.

Others remove fender liner push pins in Rangers and never replace them. Some have put on the wrong filter, stripped drain plug threads, etc. ?
still others run the drain plug back in with an impact and claim no responsibility when the bolt strips the next time its taken to them . . . they were the only ones who ever serviced the car.

this required the entire oil pan to be replaced.

assholes.
Sponsored

 

RangerDanger617

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Mar 25, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
131
Reaction score
500
Location
Boston, MA
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Noticed this today. Mechanically stock ‘23 FX4 XLT with original tires. Tire pressure is normal. Nothing feels odd. No vibration or pulls that weren’t there before. No irregular behavior on highway.

Low speed turning sometimes results in a pop/clunk noise. Almost sounds like running over stray gravel or a plastic bottle. Not every turn results in this. Hard to replicate and not sure where it is coming from.
 

TJC

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tony
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Threads
47
Messages
4,155
Reaction score
10,650
Location
North Carolina
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I’m glad you figured this out and man, I’m tired of hearing stories of how “technicians” mess up vehicles for a simple oil change - one took a sawzall to the belly pan of my Passat to make a hole to drain the oil instead of removing it.

Others remove fender liner push pins in Rangers and never replace them. Some have put on the wrong filter, stripped drain plug threads, etc. ?
I added a Valvomax and no longer need to drop the pan. I can easily route the drain hose directly into the oil drain pan, and never get a drop of oil on me. The oil filter is a different situation, but I am exploring using magnets to hold the flap in place.

I like them so much that I now have installed them on all 3 of my vehicles.
 

RangerDanger617

Well-Known Member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Mar 25, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
131
Reaction score
500
Location
Boston, MA
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Two common culprits are:
  1. Loose/missing lug nut(s)
  2. Loose/popped front anti-sway bar link
Update:
I remembered I had recently reconfigured the layout inside my toolbox to get the straps closer to the driver's side of the bed. I noticed that everything was much looser and free to move now. The ratchet set and some other stuff was now flopping back and forth. I reset everything to the way I had it before and decided to drive and make multiple turns on my trip ... not a sound.
 

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Apr 12, 2021
Threads
134
Messages
5,532
Reaction score
14,583
Location
22973
Vehicle(s)
2026 Marsh Gray Ranger Raptor, 1995 Harley XLH1200
Occupation
Mom Joke Professional
Update:
I remembered I had recently reconfigured the layout inside my toolbox to get the straps closer to the driver's side of the bed. I noticed that everything was much looser and free to move now. The ratchet set and some other stuff was now flopping back and forth. I reset everything to the way I had it before and decided to drive and make multiple turns on my trip ... not a sound.
Boy I hate rattles, squeaks and unknown noises. I recently put heat shrink on all the zippers of my backpack because they would rattle and drive me crazy while driving.
Sponsored

 
 








Top