SOLVED: Shimmer / slight lugging in rear when accelerating at low speed?

ben8jam

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
My build was after that date and they did mine,big difference
Thanks that’s great to hear. So do I go in and state the issues I’m experiencing and ask the perform a certain TSB? Sounds like some members have had problems with dealers saying they wouldn’t bc of build date etc.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Thanks that’s great to hear. So do I go in and state the issues I’m experiencing and ask the perform a certain TSB? Sounds like some members have had problems with dealers saying they wouldn’t bc of build date etc.
Yep

TomB

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab
Mine was 45 - 47 psi when delivered. I lowered all to 30. I think it came to the dealer that way. Seems weird the dealer didn't check it.
I just read this thread and checked mine.. around the same. Excited to see how much of a difference it makes when I deflate them.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
All, please see comments by our friendly resident retired Ford engineer, P. A. Schilke.

The vibration is a symptom of the Ranger having a 2 piece drive shaft and there 's nothing you can do about it but get used to it. Running proper tire pressure helps, but what you're feeling isn't hurting anything and it's not a big deal. It's just the nature of the design. No worries all.

I personally only feel it myself when I tromp on the gas while turning at an intersection.

Aunte0829

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Sales
***1/27/2019 Update*** Official Solution Available, Air Tires Down to Factory PSI

Does anyone notice a slight shimmy in the rear end when accelerating at low speed? Almost like the transmission is lugging? It's hard to explain and very slight, but more noticeable with more aggressive acceleration. I really noticed it when turning / accelerating into traffic the other day.

My previous daily driver was a 2010 4WD Escape Limited, which, while body on frame, was front wheel drive and drove more like a car. Our family car that I drive on weekends is a 2013 Explorer NA V6, which is quick and has a really nice drive.

That's a long way of saying that it could be I'm just not used to the feel of a bigger BOF truck with RWD (my 2006 Explorer was, but I traded that in 2013). I didn't notice it when I test drove the Ranger (I drove a different truck than I bought), but I also probably drove very conservatively during the test drive.

Not sure if it's normal and I'm just not used to it, if it's to do with the break in period of the engine / trans and I should just go easier on it for a while (it only has like 100 miles now), or if something's up with my trans or rear differential.

Thoughts? I need to take it back to the dealer for the spray in liner, so I could have a tech test drive it, but I'm not sure how familiar any of them are with the Ranger and what's normal and not normal.
I bought a 2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD and took it back a month later with the exact same issue plus shifting problems. After 10 days I got it back with a brand new transmission and the problem seemed to have gone away. It’s been 1 month and the vibration and shifting issues are still there (did they really replace the transmission?). Took it back yesterday and it was driven by the shop foreman who noticed the vibration right away. I left the truck there and I’m waiting for a call back with a response. BTW, tire pressure is at 32psi. I will post updates.
Curious to know if your issue was resolved.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It's 38 PSI for spare tire. 30 PSI for both front and rear.
Becareful quoting tire pressures on the sticker. It depends on what tires came with your truck. My 2019 FX4 came with LT265-65-17 tires and the sticker says 38 psi across the board. If you have a trim with P rated tires it may well say 30 psi. If you changed tires all bets are off.

I run mine normally at 34 psi except when towing, then I run them at the sticker level. Ride much better with an empty box that way. Replacing the rear shocks with Billstiens also helped.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Becareful quoting tire pressures on the sticker. It depends on what tires came with your truck. My 2019 FX4 came with LT265-65-17 tires and the sticker says 38 psi across the board. If you have a trim with P rated tires it may well say 30 psi. If you changed tires all bets are off.

I run mine normally at 34 psi except when towing, then I run them at the sticker level. Ride much better with an empty box that way. Replacing the rear shocks with Billstiens also helped.
I am just correcting Hellrazer. The sticker on door jam says just that. 30 PSI for Front/Rear and 38 PSI for Spare. I always go by the door no matter what brand/tires I get.

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
My FX2 with Hankooks says 35 PSI.
Sponsored