Jerky acceleration at low speed from stop

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Crew Cab Lariat Blackout
Had the truck just under a month and about 900km on it. Ever since I picked it up I have noticed that when I accelerate normally from a stop, there appears to be a bit of jerkiness in the drive train. Don’t know how else to describe it others than the pickup is not smooth until it get to higher speed, and it feels like power delivery to the rear wheels is pulsing. Once the speed increases it smooths out. Not sure if it is transmission, transfer case, or diff. Was hoping it would smooth out during the break in phase.

Anyone else experience this? Is it an issue I should bring up with the dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canuckian

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it do it in sport mode or tow/haul mode ?
Good question. Will give it a try.

Will also say it is not super pronounced jerking, I can just feel it isn't smooth. I hesitate to say it feels a bit like a binding CV on a front wheel vehicle, but that might lead people too far down the wrong path. Another way of saying it would be it feels like the pulsing or a slightly unbalance wheel at speed, except that it happens a 0-10KPH and the smooths out.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Fords 10 speed transmission is quite stupid out of the box. Both the one in my wife's Mustang, and my Ranger had a fairly rough 1-2 shift until it got some miles on them. I'm gonna say these words, but I don't know exactly what they mean. These trannys have whats called "adaptive learning" that supposedly conforms to the drivers style. Drive it like you will always drive the truck, and hopefully it will settle down with more miles. Mine did. Good luck.

BTW, when I start my Ranger with 8K miles after it sits overnight I have to let the engine idle for approx. 10-15 seconds before I start off. If I don't the tranny slips until the fluid gets to where it needs to be. The wife's Mustang isn't quite as bad, but if it sits for several days I have to do the same thing. BTW, did I say these tranny's are stupid? :)

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
my first thoughts are to get your fluid level verified in the trans.

my only jerkiness now is when its cold and hasn't warmed up enough. this is Canada, show me a transmission that works well in the cold? you'll never find one.

i can have such smooth shifts the only way i know is by watching the tach.
but i can also feel them easily if i'm driving it spirited.

you're well beyond the adaptive cycle, but it might also be worth resetting it and letting it try again.
Same here. I turned the gear display on last week just to see if mine was like everyone says theirs is - struggling to find upper gears. Mine smoothly shifts all the way up to 10th without really feeling it at all.

OP
OP
Canuckian

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Verified in a lunch run. Actually happens between 10-20kph and is not affected by sport or tow mode. Happens throughout drive, so is not warm up related. Also, am in Vancouver, so it’s not really “cold weather”…

will swing back to the dealer to get it looked at. Thanks for input everyone.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Do a search on shudder in this forum. Is that what you’re experiencing ?

OP
OP
Canuckian

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do a search on shudder in this forum. Is that what you’re experiencing ?
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried searching some other terms, but never thought to use .Shudder". Led me to a thread (link), with like to an article describing exactly what I am feeling...

"We've tested three different SuperCrew versions of the 2019 Ranger — a mid-level XLT trim with the FX4 Off-Road Package, and two high-end Lariat models, one with the FX4 Off-Road Package and one without — and all three trucks had the low-speed shudder. When the shudder occurs it's relatively brief, lasting just a second or two, but it happens enough during normal driving to be troublesome — particularly in a brand-new truck. It's most pronounced when accelerating from a stop; as you pass 10 mph or so there's often a brief shudder from somewhere behind the driver's seat. One Ranger driver wrote on the forum that it's like "running over the rumble bumps on the side of the road (just less intense)," which is as good a description as any."

Will follow up with dealer to investigate.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried searching some other terms, but never thought to use .Shudder". Led me to a thread (link), with like to an article describing exactly what I am feeling...

"We've tested three different SuperCrew versions of the 2019 Ranger — a mid-level XLT trim with the FX4 Off-Road Package, and two high-end Lariat models, one with the FX4 Off-Road Package and one without — and all three trucks had the low-speed shudder. When the shudder occurs it's relatively brief, lasting just a second or two, but it happens enough during normal driving to be troublesome — particularly in a brand-new truck. It's most pronounced when accelerating from a stop; as you pass 10 mph or so there's often a brief shudder from somewhere behind the driver's seat. One Ranger driver wrote on the forum that it's like "running over the rumble bumps on the side of the road (just less intense)," which is as good a description as any."

Will follow up with dealer to investigate.
Hi Can,

What you are describing is called Start up shudder and is associated with two piece drivelines like the Ranger has. There is a TSB out that outlines for the dealer how to shim the rear axle pinion to hopefully improve the shudder. Dealer should be able to find the TSB...I will see if I can locate the number and edit this post...

okay...found it...
TSB 20-2277

Best,
Phil

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Fords 10 speed transmission is quite stupid out of the box. Both the one in my wife's Mustang, and my Ranger had a fairly rough 1-2 shift until it got some miles on them. I'm gonna say these words, but I don't know exactly what they mean. These trannys have whats called "adaptive learning" that supposedly conforms to the drivers style. Drive it like you will always drive the truck, and hopefully it will settle down with more miles. Mine did. Good luck.

BTW, when I start my Ranger with 8K miles after it sits overnight I have to let the engine idle for approx. 10-15 seconds before I start off. If I don't the tranny slips until the fluid gets to where it needs to be. The wife's Mustang isn't quite as bad, but if it sits for several days I have to do the same thing. BTW, did I say these tranny's are stupid? :)
I agree , worst experience in "D" ever ...
Hi Can,

What you are describing is called Start up shudder and is associated with two piece drivelines like the Ranger has. There is a TSB out that outlines for the dealer how to shim the rear axle pinion to hopefully improve the shudder. Dealer should be able to find the TSB...I will see if I can locate the number and edit this post...

okay...found it...
TSB 20-2277

Best,
Phil
Shims , boy the guys at Cadillac sure loved those back when i was at the dealship ....shimmed everything from ring and pinion slop to trim panels that rattle ...

OP
OP
Canuckian

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Can,

okay...found it...
TSB 20-2277

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil and everyone. TSB 20-2277 was what I came across also in the other thread.

I am going to schedule a trip to the dealer to address this, request a hood alignment (overhangs the fender on one side) and see if I can get any love on the "Ranger Lean" in the back end. Might request them to check Tranny fluid as well.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I agree , worst experience in "D" ever ...
Shims , boy the guys at Cadillac sure loved those back when i was at the dealship ....shimmed everything from ring and pinion slop to trim panels that rattle ...
Hi NB,

Necessary part of the business with production variability...do not like them either but sometimes necessary...These tapered shims are a head ache as some techs get confused and install them backwards and make matters worse if they do not remeasure their work..

Best,
Phil

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I don’t want to start a whole thing here but I spaced the center carrier bearing down about 5mm and I generally don’t notice it anymore. Just my experience. I just didn’t want to go to the dealer.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Hi NB,

Necessary part of the business with production variability...do not like them either but sometimes necessary...These tapered shims are a ache as some techs get confused and install them backwards and make matters worse if they do not remeasure their work..

Best,
Phil
Oh I agree they have to be , but IMO they took it WAY to far in some instances... Ring and pinion and spyder gears had shims in fractions you would need an engineering degree to keep up with ...but you have that , so your good... Me, not so much... I just stayed greasy and scratched things...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I agree they have to be , but IMO they took it WAY to far in some instances... Ring and pinion and spyder gears had shims in fractions you would need an engineering degree to keep up with ...but you have that , so your good... Me, not so much... I just stayed greasy and scratched things...
Hi NB,

just a bit of a personal back story. My parents did not pay for my undergrad degree. I had to work my way through college. How?....I was a automobile mechanic and worked in an independent VW garage. I worked about 4 hours an evening and 10 to 12 hours on Saturday. I did it all...pull the engine...tear it down, finish assembly of what the owner and his son did not get done...reinstall and get it running. rebuild the transmissions...my speciality... My homework had grease stains on it from time to time and I always had grease under the fingernails. When I came to Ford and got tool boxes full of tools, I kept a tool kit in my desk and my fellow engineers would find me in the lot working on prototypes....They asked me why I didn't take it to the X garage and let the mechanics work on the prototype...I said that I was quicker than the process of getting the X garage to work on relative simple things like changing out an alternator... Take the vehicle over to the mechanics lot in the middle of the test track....wait for the shuttle back to the X garage. Go to the Light Truck Desk, write a PCN (Parts Change Notice...fill out with old and new part numbers of the experimental parts) Throw the PCN in the incoming bin...wait for the shutttle back to the Office. Time to go home. Then wait for the phone call that the mechanic had made the change. Then wait for the shuttle back to the X Garage to pick up the keys. The wait for the shuttle to the Mechanics lot, get off the shuttle and search for the vehicle and drive it back to the office....two to three days to get what I could do in 30 minutes...

I have the upmost respect for true mechanics...it is a hard and honest job... I are one still.

Arrrrg...long post again...Sheesh...

Best,
Phil
Sponsored