SOLVED: Shimmer / slight lugging in rear when accelerating at low speed?

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
***1/27/2019 Update*** Official Solution Available, Air Tires Down to Factory PSI

Does anyone notice a slight shimmy in the rear end when accelerating at low speed? Almost like the transmission is lugging? It's hard to explain and very slight, but more noticeable with more aggressive acceleration. I really noticed it when turning / accelerating into traffic the other day.

My previous daily driver was a 2010 4WD Escape Limited, which, while body on frame, was front wheel drive and drove more like a car. Our family car that I drive on weekends is a 2013 Explorer NA V6, which is quick and has a really nice drive.

That's a long way of saying that it could be I'm just not used to the feel of a bigger BOF truck with RWD (my 2006 Explorer was, but I traded that in 2013). I didn't notice it when I test drove the Ranger (I drove a different truck than I bought), but I also probably drove very conservatively during the test drive.

Not sure if it's normal and I'm just not used to it, if it's to do with the break in period of the engine / trans and I should just go easier on it for a while (it only has like 100 miles now), or if something's up with my trans or rear differential.

Thoughts? I need to take it back to the dealer for the spray in liner, so I could have a tech test drive it, but I'm not sure how familiar any of them are with the Ranger and what's normal and not normal.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone notice a slight shimmer in the rear end when accelerating at low speed? Almost like the transmission is lugging? It's hard to explain and very slight, but more noticeable with more aggressive acceleration. I really noticed it when turning / accelerating into traffic the other day.

My previous daily driver was a 2010 4WD Escape Limited, which, while body on frame, was front wheel drive and drove more like a car. Our family car that I drive on weekends is a 2013 Explorer NA V6, which is quick and has a really nice drive.

That's a long way of saying that it could be I'm just not used to the feel of a bigger BOF truck with RWD (my 2006 Explorer was, but I traded that in 2013). I didn't notice it when I test drove the Ranger (I drove a different truck than I bought), but I also probably drove very conservatively during the test drive.

Not sure if it's normal and I'm just not used to it, if it's to do with the break in period of the engine / trans and I should just go easier on it for a while (it only has like 100 miles now), or if something's up with my trans or rear differential.

Thoughts? I need to take it back to the dealer for the spray in liner, so I could have a tech test drive it, but I'm not sure how familiar any of them are with the Ranger and what's normal and not normal.
You sure it's not the rear suspension, especially with an empty bed. Trucks tend to be less composed, especially the rear end.

Edit: The 2006 Explorer while RWD and body-on-frame, does have a bit more weight over the rear axle, compared to a truck.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You sure it's not the rear suspension, especially with an empty bed. Trucks tend to be less composed, especially the rear end.

Edit: The 2006 Explorer while RWD and body-on-frame, does have a bit more weight over the rear axle, compared to a truck.
It could very well be. During the most noticeable instance of it happening (accelerating and turning into traffic), my initial thought was that my wheels were skipping off the ground, but I thought "nah, that couldn't be".

ETA: With only 100 miles on the tires, I suppose it's even more possible.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It could very well be. During the most noticeable instance of it happening (accelerating and turning into traffic), my initial thought was that my wheels were skipping off the ground, but I thought "nah, that couldn't be".
Could it be the rear wheels were losing traction, due to ice or snow on the ground?

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could it be the rear wheels were losing traction, due to ice or snow on the ground?
Not ice or snow, but we still have a crap ton of sand / salt on the road here from a previous storm, and with the tires so new liked I added above, it's very possible.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
i'd say give it some more mileage. Let the transmission "learn" your driving style. Let those gears and bearings in the rear diff mesh together and get a solid pattern. At least 1000-1500 miles.
BTW, when I get to test drive one, i won't be conservative, I'll drive it like I stole it.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not ice or snow, but we still have a crap ton of sand / salt on the road here from a previous storm, and with the tires so new liked I added above, it's very possible.
Well you paid a bunch of money for a new vehicle, so if it bothers you enough it should be taken to the shop. At the very least it will ease your mind.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turns out my tire pressure was at 45 (!) PSI instead of the recommended 30 PSI. I just adjusted them down to 30 PSI, so we'll see if that improves things!

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say for sure but I used to get a similar feeling driving my F150 on the over salted roads in the beltway. The tire pressure may help too.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
My tires were super high as well. Like 41 psi.
All trucks come off the trailer with the tires about 10-15 pounds more than recommended, which is necessary for transport. The trucks are lashed down significantly tight to prevent the suspensions from compressing enough to release the chain tie-downs. That’s on your dealership guys, that’s part of of the pre-delivery process; deflating the tires to recommended PSI. Overly inflated tires will absolutely make a massive difference in your ride quality and traction. If losing traction on a RWD vehicle feels awkward it’s probably because you’ve been spending a fair amount of time driving FWD or FWD w/ rear wheel assist (AWD) vehicles.

SlinkyFriend

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus
All trucks come off the trailer with the tires about 10-15 pounds more than recommended, which is necessary for transport. The trucks are lashed down significantly tight to prevent the suspensions from compressing enough to release the chain tie-downs. That’s on your dealership guys, that’s part of of the pre-delivery process; deflating the tires to recommended PSI. Overly inflated tires will absolutely make a massive difference in your ride quality and traction. If losing traction on a RWD vehicle feels awkward it’s probably because you’ve been spending a fair amount of time driving FWD or FWD w/ rear wheel assist (AWD) vehicles.
That’s interesting. I didn’t have a any issues though, for the most part my tires feel fine. Granted roads haven’t been that bad.

Jimiv123

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, FX4, Sport Package, Magnetic
Occupation
IT Grunt
Turns out my tire pressure was at 45 (!) PSI instead of the recommended 30 PSI. I just adjusted them down to 30 PSI, so we'll see if that improves things!
Mine was 45 - 47 psi when delivered. I lowered all to 30. I think it came to the dealer that way. Seems weird the dealer didn't check it.

rangerdrive

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Just to add to the existing data here, my tires were at 35 psi when I took delivery.

Shaggy1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 DCLB Tacoma

So when you start a test drive, check the TPMS and see what they're set for? :LOL:
Sponsored