First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've had several Fords, and usually I look at everything in the segment to see what I want to get. This time I didn't. For Rangers I had an 89, 95, 03, and an 03 Sport Trac (still a Ranger), along with a Focus and two Fusions. Value for the price is why I went with the Ford. For the same price as a base model Accord I got a nearly loaded Fusion. Same with the Focus, although the transmission was junk and Ford bought it back from me after 6 months. The lack of hassle involved with that brought me back to Ford for my next car. The seating position kept me from a Taco, and the reputation GM has lately kept me from there. The gladiator was about twice what I paid for a similarly equipped Ranger.
Sponsored

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I chose the Ranger for (in no particular order):

(1) Aesthetics (I know, this is subjective);
(2) Powertrain;
(3) Towing capability;
(4) Payload availability;
(5) American;
(6) Comfort inside (have you been inside a Tacoma???);
(7) Nostalgia (my first vehicle was a Ranger in high school and I owned another after).

The other trucks in this segment are good. I just found the Ranger checked the most boxes for me personally.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have a couple of friends who have had Taco's and had frame rot it took one of them three months to get the frame replaced and the other six months and both say the trucks where never the same afterwards.
Another guy I know from where I work had a Colorado and had transmission problems all GM would do was to tell him there standard reply it was working with in acceptable limits and brushed him off.
The Ridgeline is a mini van with a bed and not a true truck. If I would ever lean in that direction I'd wait for the upcoming Ford Maverick.

Me I have always been a Ford guy and the true nature of the other trucks keeps me from ever wanting to look at them. All the hype and resale value mean nothing if you hate what you drive. I have never hated any of the Fords I have owned and driven.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven mostly Fords, so I'm inclined towards Ford, however I did a LOT of research before purchasing my new Ranger. I crossed off the Frontier due to it being too old and getting terrible mileage (I had an old Nissan pickup years ago that was a pretty good truck). I crossed off the GM twins due to the horrible experiences my brother has had with GM products recently. I crossed off the Ridgeline because it isn't really what I need (a frame on body truck). So, for me it came down to the Ranger and the Taco.

I test drove the Taco and was not impressed with the drivetrain at all. It did have things I liked and I honestly didn't notice some of the perennial complaints (seating position mostly). I really wanted to try and do an objective evaluation, so I ended up making a list of all the things that were important to me and I weighted them based on what was MOST important to me. I then filled out the items. The Ranger Lariat came out on top so I ended up ordering one very early in its production. I actually ordered it before I could test drive it, but about a month after I ordered a local dealer got one in stock and I was able to test drive it and at that point I had no doubt I made a good decision.

Wednesday will be my two year anniversary of me actually owning my truck and I would not change anything - I love this truck and it has performed flawlessly for me. The powertrain continues to amaze me.

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder
The Ranger is the F-250 of the midsize truck market. I wouldn't even consider any other brand. And besides my Dad retired from Ford's 35 years service, he was a Welding Engineer and my Grandpa retired from Ford's World Head Quarter's building 7th floor, he was a Tool & Die maker, he handled the tooling for Latin America back in the 70's.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
They wanted to add $3,000 to the price tag for those two items. I told them they were out of their mind. In an act of compromise I got the extended 10 year/100k mile warranty package and GAP insurance and they dropped the cost of the level and tires. They still got the extra $3,000, but I wasn't paying $3,000 for what amounted to about $1000 in parts.
I don't quite understand that "compromise". You said you weren't going to give the satisfaction of giving the dealer $3,000 for tires/left, which you calculated to be $1,000....
BUT, you felt ok with the trade-off with the GAP and extended warranty for $3,000. UMMMMMM, those two weren't even close to $3,000 in cost.. So, where is the "feel-good" factor in that?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I don't quite understand that "compromise". You said you weren't going to give the satisfaction of giving the dealer $3,000 for tires/left, which you calculated to be $1,000....
BUT, you felt ok with the trade-off with the GAP and extended warranty for $3,000. UMMMMMM, those two weren't even close to $3,000 in cost.. So, where is the "feel-good" factor in that?
Because i planned to get those items anyhow. GAP insurance was about 700 and extended 10yr/100k was a little over 2k

Maybe i should have worded it that i let them feel like i was compromising.

jrmckins

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
What made you choose the Ranger over the Chevy/Toyota mid size trucks? How do you feel the Ranger Tremor stacks up to the Colorado ZR2?
Why I bought the Ranger over Chevy & Toyota:
1. I won't buy Chevy
2. I test drove a Tacoma and ... meh
3. The Toyota dealer lied to me.

missesbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew Sport
My reasons were pretty simple...I couldn't fit a full size truck in my townhouse's garage, needed something with decent MPG, and something with a decent tow capacity. I had a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee that I LOVED that fit all of these parameters, but when I had to get rid of it due to a coolant/exhaust issue, the Ranger was the mid-size truck that fit my needs. I'm getting used to it feeling like a truck (that JGC was so comfy) and figuring out the towing, so happy with what I have.

HikingViking

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had a 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel and it was by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. It had the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in (road trip from Cincinnati to Minnesota was unbearable). The ride was overall garbage as it road harsh and bucked easily from any bumps in the road. The interior was incredibly cheap and was in the shop multiple times, seemingly every week it had a new rattle and the Bose system was unusable as the bass would rattle everything like a 90's shit box. Had a 2019 Tacoma and while it was vastly more comfortable then the Canyon it left a lot to be desired on the interior, things like the seating position I did not care for and the lack of seat adjustment was frustrating as well as the clunky dash control knobs and the radio interface was that of 10 years ago. My 2019 Ranger XLT FX4 is by FAR better in every single aspect bumper to bumper inside and out. This is my 2 cents on the subject, should have looked at a Ranger a long time ago.

The Canyon Diesel was also a turd for power to the point it was almost dangerous pulling into traffic or trying to merge on the highway.

Last edited:

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
What made you choose the Ranger over the Chevy/Toyota mid size trucks?
Towing capability, highway handling, and driver/passenger comfort. As someone over 6-feet tall, I found the Tacoma seating position to be near torture for anything other than short trips.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Better MPG than my 2014 Tacoma, more (usable) power on tap than the new Tacoma, I like Ford's technology better than Toyota, come from a GM/UAW family but refuse to buy a Chevy. So far I am very happy with my choice, the Ranger is a great vehicle.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I came from 2019 Honda Civic Si. It needed a transmission at 11k miles, then blew a turbo at 19k miles. Honda denied coverage on both claims, but I won an arbitration case vs them for the transmission, and they paid a $5000 settlement to keep the turbo case out of court. Their reason for denying? I ran a stage 1 tune.

I decided to sell my car and buy a truck, so I dont have to borrow my wife's SUV, when I need to tow one of our trailers or my boat.

Initially, I waa looking at a Taco, specifically a TRD Pro with a manual transmission, but I could not find one after contacting several dealers. One dealer said he had one he could get for me, but wanted MSRP + $5k, to which I was like hell no. I was still looking for a Taco though.

Then, I tested drove an Automatic Taco and it felt really dated on the inside, and while I didn't hate it, I didn't love it. There was no way I am going to spend $50k on a truck that I don't love.

My wife's cousin works at a Ford Dealership and let me know I could custom order through Ford, so I began to look at the Ranger.

My Si is also a 4cyl. turbo, so I really liked the concept of the ranger, but was concerned Ford may pull the same warranty stuff if I ran a tune, but then found out about the stage 3 warranty (6yr/100k for $1000, covers tuner and aftermarket upgrades)

I then test drove a ranger, and loved it. Placed my order for a Lariat 4x4 w/Tremor package back in February. It was just built and shipped to the dealer(Shipped today in fact) and I am hoping to have it within the next few weeks.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that as long as my wife's cousin puts his name on the title, I get D plan pricing.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
My wife's cousin works at a Ford Dealership and let me know I could custom order through Ford, so I began to look at the Ranger.

I then test drove a ranger, and loved it. Placed my order for a Lariat 4x4 w/Tremor package back in February. It was just built and shipped to the dealer(Shipped today in fact) and I am hoping to have it within the next few weeks.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that as long as my wife's cousin puts his name on the title, I get D plan pricing.
Sounds dishonest...
Sponsored