First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
IT

Can I say I don't really understand the fold flat front seat. What are you supposed to put there, that isn't going to cause an issue when you take a righthand turn and it all comes sliding over into your lap while you're driving? I mean sure a person could strap it down, but I can guarantee based on the weird looks my wife gives me when I use a seatbelt to do that with a cooler in my non-fold flat front seats or in the rear seats, that 99% of people wouldn't even think of doing that. They'd just drop that big box full of kitchen knives on that fold flat back and then wonder what went wrong when they wake up in the hospital with stab wounds.
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Can I say I don't really understand the fold flat front seat. What are you supposed to put there, that isn't going to cause an issue when you take a righthand turn and it all comes sliding over into your lap while you're driving? I mean sure a person could strap it down, but I can guarantee based on the weird looks my wife gives me when I use a seatbelt to do that with a cooler in my non-fold flat front seats or in the rear seats, that 99% of people wouldn't even think of doing that. They'd just drop that big box full of kitchen knives on that fold flat back and then wonder what went wrong when they wake up in the hospital with stab wounds.
Well , when something that isnt flat (the earth ? maybe ? ) can be folded down and made flat , it can become useful , don't under estimate flat surfaces , very helpful ... but never around when you need one ...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Thought I heard in one these reveal vidoes that the TRD off road did come with a 6 speed as an option. I'm sure more exact information will be out soon.
Yup Toyota.com's Tacoma page shows a 6-speed manual available, as well as ext cab/6'box and crew cab/5' & 6' box options. In North America, Ford and Toyota market at opposite ends. Tundra is just a placeholder for Toyo owners wanting to stay in the fold to tow their camper. Tacoma is where the engineering and market focus is. Ford is all in on F-series, Ranger is the red-headed stepchild, there to keep the tooling warm for Bronco production, and It doesn't matter to Ford if Ranger sales are down at the bottom. i gather that production will be biased toward Raptor; low production, high ATP, more production capacity for Broncos.
As a Ranger guy, i'm disappointed, but I understand Ford's priorities.
In 2019, when Ford discontinued the Focus & gm the Cruze in North America, Toyota invested $170 million in TMM Mississippi to expand Corolla production.
Late 2021, they moved all Tacoma production to Mexico for the 2022 MY, and still outsold all others. The 4G Taco now rides on the same frame as the Tundra, reducing production cost across Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia
As Ford and gm both discontinued all sedans and midsize 6'box configurations, Toyota is there like the family dog to pick up the scraps that fall on the floor.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Sure you can. You can say whatever you want.

Seems gimmicky to me. But who knows.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think the idea with the fold-down seat is for guys that are parked at a job site and need a quick desk for a laptop or what have you. It's a neat idea - I know a few tradesmen that use their passenger seat as their desk.
I've always worked out of my truck and have had to use the back seat for reading blueprints. I like the way the F150 has the folding arm rest where you can turn it into a small desk so to speak. I wish they had that years ago as it would've come in handy especially now with tablets. I always kept a few clip boards around for doing estimate or invoices.

1684880449591.png

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Yup Toyota.com's Tacoma page shows a 6-speed manual available, as well as ext cab/6'box and crew cab/5' & 6' box options. In North America, Ford and Toyota market at opposite ends. Tundra is just a placeholder for Toyo owners wanting to stay in the fold to tow their camper. Tacoma is where the engineering and market focus is. Ford is all in on F-series, Ranger is the red-headed stepchild, there to keep the tooling warm for Bronco production, and It doesn't matter to Ford if Ranger sales are down at the bottom. i gather that production will be biased toward Raptor; low production, high ATP, more production capacity for Broncos.
As a Ranger guy, i'm disappointed, but I understand Ford's priorities.
In 2019, when Ford discontinued the Focus & gm the Cruze in North America, Toyota invested $170 million in TMM Mississippi to expand Corolla production.
Late 2021, they moved all Tacoma production to Mexico for the 2022 MY, and still outsold all others. The 4G Taco now rides on the same frame as the Tundra, reducing production cost across Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia
As Ford and gm both discontinued all sedans and midsize 6'box configurations, Toyota is there like the family dog to pick up the scraps that fall on the floor.
The funny thing is it almost seems they put more effort into the 5G vs the 6G Ranger when they brought the 5G to North America. They offered more cab/box combos from the start, unique front steel bumper and unique tailgate and tail lights, an all new frame and an all new powertrain vs overseas models. Even interior trim pieces and fabrics were unique to a certain degree. I'm not saying the 6G doesn't have a lot of improvements in things like interior quality, but the main difference is powertrain choices and decontenting vs the overseas models on the 6G. I remember when the guys from Australia and other regions were jealous because the North American Ranger was nicer then theirs. With the 6G the reverse has happened.

Yes there is the Raptor and it's an awesome truck, but it's also very expensive. Take that model away and I don't see a lot to get excited about with the 6G except for an available V6 and better quality interior trim.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
The funny thing is it almost seems they put more effort into the 5G vs the 6G Ranger when they brought the 5G to North America. They offered more cab/box combos from the start, unique front steel bumper and unique tailgate and tail lights, an all new frame and an all new powertrain vs overseas models. Even interior trim pieces and fabrics were unique to a certain degree. I'm not saying the 6G doesn't have a lot of improvements in things like interior quality, but the main difference is powertrain choices and decontenting vs the overseas models on the 6G. I remember when the guys from Australia and other regions were jealous because the North American Ranger was nicer then theirs. With the 6G the reverse has happened.

Yes there is the Raptor and it's an awesome truck, but it's also very expensive. Take that model away and I don't see a lot to get excited about with the 6G except for an available V6 and better quality interior trim.
10-4. The short answer is that Ranger was the catalyst for Bronco.
The long answer:
The Bronco revival was advancing from water cooler gossip and napkin sketches to the "let's do this" stage. Meanwhile, Ford ended all vehicle assembly & production in Australia and discontinued the problem child NA Focus at the Wayne, MI Assembly plant (MAP). various Bronco concepts were considered, from an Escape based model, a pickup, midsize an F-series derivative probably others. The Escape-based Bronco Sport and later the Maverick were also green lighted and given to Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly (HSAP)
It was decided to ship the Ranger tooling to MAP, DOT- it, expand 2.3L Ecoboost production and mate it to the F's 10R80 10-speed AT. Marketing said build everything except the regular cab-2.1M /7ft box and see what sticks. Meanwhile the Bronco was designed around a modified Ranger T6 frame and running gear, and to be built alongside Ranger. Map has a max capacity of around 270,000 T6 vehicles (the built a maximum 320,0000 Focus' * at one point) so ample production of both seemed possible. Then the perfect storm of Covid 19 disruption and wild demand for the Bronco hit. Ranger drew the short straw and Bronco production was is biased over Ranger.
I can imagine there was/is heated debate over cancelling the 6G Ranger for NA altogether so that Bronco demand could better be met. As it is, MAP ran at around 62% capacity in 2022; about the same so far this year due to parts shortages. All Ranger 6ft box options have been cancelled, the hybrid and some other powertrain combos pushed back or cancelled; Ford is cryptically saying that the Raptor has a 2-speed transfer case while other models have "shift on the fly 4WD" - 4H only?
Outside North America the Ranger is the workhorse truck, the F-Series are absent everywhere except Australia, and a vast network of accessory and body mfg.' has grown up around Ranger. Part of the turf war is that the F's will stay king of the hill in its homeland, and every other vehicle can go pound sand.
I envision a day when the Ranger morphs into the F-150: smaller dimensionally than the SuperDuty, and more affordable than today's F-150. Ranger P706 program is scheduled to run through the 2031 model year, but could be changed or cancelled anytime.

*Correction: At one point, MAP built at a 320,000/yr production rate . 2014 was the NA Focus' best year with 219,634 sales.

Last edited:

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
This will be a 2 passenger (which is still one to many unless it's a dog) SuperCab , no rear seats or seatbelts, no illusion that a normal human could fit back there , BOUT DAMN TIME!!! I will have to give that a serious look just on the merits of their admission that they have been doing it wrong all these years ...
That and decades of saying rear drum brakes are superior for off-roading, and not a cost/design measure/

Devil6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went and read their stuff. Not speaking on trucks here, just the level of the unveiling and the promotion by Toyota... it far surpassed Ford's reveal of the Ranger.

The manufacturers clearly don't view these models with the same level of importance.

Ford had one little webpage with some swipeable bullet points of features. Toyota writes their hype-pages like they've invented the next big thing in pickup trucks. They have literally dozens of different aspects of their trucks that they're promoting like they're each a new invention that retools midsize pickup trucks as we know them. They claim each model is purpose-built for every individual desire and explain the differences between them.

Ford released a short commercial for the Raptor and then expected YouTube guys to do the rest without even ever driving the trucks... and there's been virtually no hype on the non-Raptor Ranger.

For example, there's no info on the 2.7L motor (which also isn't in the Order Guide), no major color changes, a few pictures of the interior touchscreen, and apparently the rear shocks are mounted outboard. Woohoo. (The only reason we even know that is because we read this forum, most people have no clue and Ford hasn't even effectively told us why we should care.)

If I was a regular, uninformed, truck shopper trying to decide what to order, I'd be marching into the Toyota dealership and getting my name on the list.
So, just saw this. Ford’s reveal was far superior, in fact it keeps revealing. First reveal was no rebound control in the shocks, then A/C failure, then transmission shuttering/ DPFE sensor, and one day EGR and turbo failure. Can’t wait for the camera to start acting up. Ford’s 2019 Ranger reveal just keeps going.

Last edited:

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
The 2021 reveal is still ramping up.

I foresee a TRD 6 speed in my future. Especially if the tow capacity is similar to the automatic. Toyota was always good about matching both.
With no more tremor option, unless ford adds it back, this will be my last ranger.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I feel the same. Glad I have my 5g, if I was forced to buy something else currently it'd be New Tacoma > New GM Twins >>> Ranger 6g.

As great as the 5g is (other than the stupid gas tank), the 6g is a bit of a miss for me.

Plan on keeping my 5g until it dies at this point, the only worry I have is the lack of continuing aftermarket support (see limited selection of sliders/etc).
yup, the 6g is a fail. (ford doesn't want to sell me a truck with the stuff I want.) toyota comes closer, but it's also gotten too damn big and they're also bad about bundling stuff in combinations I'm not looking for. thank god I don't need a new truck.

and honestly, watching the way ford's dealt with even minor stuff like the cracking parking brake boot or the disposable egr sensors, it's not like ford's given me a lot of reasons to be loyal. I'm happy enough with the truck I've got, but ford just isn't working very hard to convince me to buy another one.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
From what I’ve read, you can’t get the TRD with the manual. TRD is only available with the hybrid and you can’t get the hybrid with the manual in any trim. The manual is only available in the lower trims, I think.
toyota's always been terrible about locking various options to specific trim lines and making you take a bunch of crap you don't want in order to get the stuff you do. that's actually one of the reasons I preferred the 5g ranger--ford made pretty much everything available on a scab instead of mandating that you needed 4 doors to get a high trim, and didn't make me taking a freaking sun roof. now, of course, ford has thrown that configuration flexibility out the window with the 6g.
Sponsored