Ranger vs the competition

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
What made you choose the Ranger over the Chevy/Toyota mid size trucks? How do you feel the Ranger Tremor stacks up to the Colorado ZR2?
I was somewhat inclined toward the Ranger due to my exceptionally positive experience with my previous vehicle: a 2003 Ranger. Nonetheless, I think I gave the competition a fair chance to earn my new truck dollars. The Ranger stands alone in its combination of power and fuel economy. Purchase price of the Tacoma meant there wasn't good value there. Frontier was so, so old. Strongly considered getting a Colorado, in part for the 6-ft bed, despite past terrible experience with GM, but it just wasn't as fun to drive as the Ranger.
How do you feel the Ranger Tremor stacks up to the Colorado ZR2?
Doesn't matter to me. With how I use my truck, I'm clearly not the target market for those packages.
Sponsored

GrinchsDog

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mach1
I test drove the Colorado and Taco.

My friend owns a 19 Colorado so I drove his and went to a dealership. I thought it was well-rounded but nothing jumped out. It was probably my second choice.

The Taco came with several friends saying how great they were. I was completely unimpressed by the way it drove to the price tag. It honestly felt like Tacos are relying on reputation and aren't trying as hard as Ford or Chevy. It also has the worst rear seat legroom. I'm 6'2 and I set my driver seat and tried to get in the rear seat, couldn't make it. So worthless back seat might as well be a two-door.

The Ranger was fun to drive. The ten-speed just feels different. The specs from MGP to towing were solid. I can also get in the back seat behind my standard seat settings, cramped but can make it work. I also am a ford person and liked the look.

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
I wanted a new truck, never purchased from a dealership before. Tacoma was around 40K for the TRD-Off road package I liked, too expensive. Nissan Frontier hadn't been updated yet, Colorado was okay. Ranger had a bunch of incentives, I did a test drove and loved it. Still very happy!

Also, turbo go fast. Vroom-vroom.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
In '18 I was intrigued on what all this fuss was about with the Ranger coming back. So I studied it for about a year. Then I found this forum. Then the search was on. No ordering for me.
At the time I was working at a Toyota dealer. I liked the Tacoma, but when the '16 refresh came along, all that stopped. It just screamed POS to me.
I liked everything this Ford had to offer. I found my "Sport" not too far from home. Still happy.

MattSucks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
My wife wanted a Taco very badly. I rented a Tacoma once and it was tight with 2 kids, so I was looking for something different. I have also driven a friends TRD Pro and was unimpressed, it was slow for being a $50k+ truck. I liked the room of the Ranger, and after driving it was sold. Doesn't hurt getting 0% financing too.

Steve in CO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
For me, it was the best value for my money. Best drivetrain came standard in everything from the base model to the top of the line model. Best payload and best towing capacity (without having to upgrade to a Gladiator or diesel GM twin). And the most comfortable driver's seat of all the comparable trucks.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
At a car show 2 yrs ago I sat in all 3 trucks, I liked the Ranger the best.
I did a lot of research, lots of videos & just read more reviews.
I did not drive all 3, only the Ranger. I have no real loyalty to any
manufacturer. I think of what I need, look for the best vehicle at best price
& buy it. Having said that, I usually buy Japanese for cars & American for trucks.
I look for quality & reliability. I see a lot more older Rangers around here then
the other 2. I liked the numbers(specs).

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
The last GM truck I bought was a pos. I got rid of it brand new after only 11 months of ownership. My two Tundras were awesome and pretty much flawless I put 146k on one and 67k on the 2nd . I do not need nor want a full sized truck this time around. The Ford powertrain attracted me first. Secondly I like the simpler turbo setup vs complicated displacement on demand , cylinder deactivation setups yada yada in the competitions trucks - too much hardware / engine tech to break IMO . I like the size and look of the Ranger over similar segment trucks. The interior design I also like. FWIW.

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
The Tacoma's 4-cylinder engine had 159 horsepower, and it had a 6-speed transmission.

The Colorado/Canyon's 4-cylinder engine had 200 horsepower, and it had a 6-speed automatic.

The Ranger's 4-cylinder engine has 270 horsepower, and it has a 10-speed automatic.

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
...and the Colorado/Canyon was too funky, and the Tacoma just seemed dated...

winmag4582001

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
Ranger
Pros: Low price, HP/Tq
Cons: Extremely limited suspension, build quality, possibly resale value
Chevy
Pros: Has a diesel option, a workable suspension
Cons: Low power, build quality, resale value
Toyota
Pros: Quality, off road capability, resale value
Cons: None

I chose the Ranger because of power and price. Got $4500 in rebates and 0% for 60 on the ranger. $33k and change financed. A comparably equipped Tacoma would have ran $44k, no incentives and 1.9% for 60.
I looked at the Colorado with the Duramax for a few seconds until I seen the price, giggled and left.
My truck is just a pavement princess. I go hiking, but don't do any real off road stuff.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
order of my preference
1- Gladiator- isn't offered in 2 door and that was a deal breaker but I still really want it
2- Ranger- it's slightly too big but is EPIC to drive then a deal popped up 0% for 84 months and almost $9000 off MSRP i couldn't pass on that
3- GM- with a diesel but overpriced and just didn't drive that awesome
nissan... never again
toyota... never again

BTW this is the first ford product i have ever owned and I'm loving it so far

a572mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 1958 Cessna 182
Occupation
Airport Engineer
I'm a long time Ford Guy, but I went into this with an open mind.

Colorado - My job set me up with a crewcab LT with a V6 as a rental for 3 months back in 2018. I really liked it, especially the transfer case with full time 4wd setting, and it seemed to have a little nicer console than the Ranger. I did test drive one with Duramax in it, but I couldn't justify the premium. I wasn't a fan of the front bumper and the super low airdam. I think that if I'd have bought a Z71 Colorado, I'd have been happy with it.

Tacoma - I really wanted t like it, but I couldn't. The fact that the only way to get heated seats was with a sunroof that took away even more of the non-existent headroom coupled with drum brakes and an underwhelming powertrain made me hate it. The only thing it has over the Ranger or the Colorado is resale value, and I'll be damned if I was going to join the Tacoma cult and drive a pickup that I don't like just to have resale value.

Ranger - Great interior, great headroom, great power, good mpg. It also seems to me that this thing is almost like a shrunken 3/4 ton pickup.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Because it was a Ford. Of all the manufacturers, I've had the best experience with Ford.
Same here. We loved our 2014 Explorer, and Ford and our Ford dealer did everything for us that they said they would do, with no arguments and no hassles. So when the Ranger came out, I did not even think about buying another brand.
Sponsored