Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Depending on the price, I might end up trading in my Ranger for that frontier. I first have to "feel" the body panels, and get a sense for the durability of the "body" components. Don't get me wrong, the Ranger has an incredible engine and solid transmission, but literally everything else about the truck feels cheap. Body panels are thin and feel hollow at the doors (I'm terrified of a side impact on the Ranger, like having a can of Soda protecting me), paint chips and scratches if you so much as look at it the wrong way, and the plastic on the inside (door handles specifically) feels like I could snap it if I squeeze hard with my hand (and I don't even lift bro!).

I'm definitely going to be ready for a vehicle with higher quality "body" and general plastic materials in a few years. Truly the opposite of built "Ford" tough imo, I'm afraid to lean on the door for fear of causing a dent ;)
Paint and chips? Got my Ranger summer of 2019. I live in the boonies on a dirt/gravel road. I also travel to WV to my property. Old trails...lots of brush dragging against sides.

Zero chips. Zero scratches.

Of course I ordered mine with mud flaps and don't have nobbies sticking out 6 inches past the fenders.

Zero issues with the paint.
Sponsored

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
My hood bends a bit when the dryer from the car wash blows on it. I’m not thrilled with that.
I hand wash mine because I'm afraid the Carwash will scratch or peel off the paint. Even moderate pressure on the roof causes it to flex, very concerning.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
OK... I'll Bite. How do you watch the roof when going through a car wash?
The most obvious answer would be by standing in the bed of the truck as it goes through the wash...

That said, I knew when I posted that that the wording wasn't quite right, and I should have said "watch the headliner flex", or something to that effect. Depending on the force of the dryer, you will see it flex, hear it pop sometimes, and sometimes it will cause the sunglass case cover to open on its own.

For those of you that wonder why I don't just wash it myself and avoid all this kerfuffle, I have back issues that prevent me from doing things like this anymore. I would be happy to be back where I could wash my own vehicles...I do miss it.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'm terrified of a side impact on the Ranger, like having a can of Soda protecting me
You do understand that body panels have literally nothing to do with side impact protection? And that the ranger has a "good" rating for side impact protection from IIHS? (Old frontier did ok with that but was pretty bad overall. I assume they improved things in the update but it hasn't been tested.)

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Depending on the price, I might end up trading in my Ranger for that frontier. I first have to "feel" the body panels, and get a sense for the durability of the "body" components. Don't get me wrong, the Ranger has an incredible engine and solid transmission, but literally everything else about the truck feels cheap. Body panels are thin and feel hollow at the doors (I'm terrified of a side impact on the Ranger, like having a can of Soda protecting me), paint chips and scratches if you so much as look at it the wrong way, and the plastic on the inside (door handles specifically) feels like I could snap it if I squeeze hard with my hand (and I don't even lift bro!).

I'm definitely going to be ready for a vehicle with higher quality "body" and general plastic materials in a few years. Truly the opposite of built "Ford" tough imo, I'm afraid to lean on the door for fear of causing a dent ;)
Juan , I believe all new vehicles are like that. Weight savings. I just came from a Taco and its the same. Heck even glass is thin now. Good luck Bret

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
As someone who does not yet own a truck but planning on getting one in the next few years, I think the Nissan would be a strong contender for me overall - I like the look of it and it should do what I need it to do. Waiting to see what the next gen Ranger is like before I pull the trigger on anything.

One thing that I don't understand is - why do all trucks seem to fall into only 2 very specific size categories, mid-size and full-size, and each truck within those categories is basically the exact same size (+/- maybe 2%). Like if you compare the various dimensions of different mid-size trucks, they are pretty much all close to identical.

In terms of the interior seating room (back seats in particular) I find mid-size trucks a bit too small and then full-size trucks are absolutely massive, with nothing in between. I can't be the only person who would love something that's half way between a mid-size truck and a full-size truck in terms of size. Why doesn't this exist? Every time a new gen version of a truck (i.e. the new Frontier) comes out I am crossing my fingers that they would make them a bit bigger in the interior but it never seems to happen.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Paint and chips? Got my Ranger summer of 2019. I live in the boonies on a dirt/gravel road. I also travel to WV to my property. Old trails...lots of brush dragging against sides.

Zero chips. Zero scratches.

Of course I ordered mine with mud flaps and don't have nobbies sticking out 6 inches past the fenders.

Zero issues with the paint.

Tod, I'll agree with others in regard to chipped paint. On our truck though it's just frontal, nose in the wind chips.

But it's brutal here in the Rockies... even the "top soil" where we live is basically sandy aggregate.

My '02 Tacoma had issues with this to though. This winters been tough. Lets see how Ranger Smith looks come spring time

I will say the rocksliders we installed and the Weathertech mudflaps protect the side of the truck. No issues there whatsoever. With the sliders you don't get the 1920's / 30's running board look, but you do get protection. Best of both worlds.

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
it does exist....regular cab, supercab and supercrew sizing adjusts your interior space.
I guess my post was a bit ambiguous... I meant a mid-size supercrew vs. full-size supercrew... ideally I'd like a supercrew that falls in between those two, mainly referring to the size of the cab but also referring to the overall size of the truck as well. Like the F150 supercrew has rear legroom of 43.6 inches and the Ranger has rear legroom of 34.5 inches.... give me a supercrew with 38.5 inches of rear legroom and a 5.5 foot bed and I'd be happy.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
As someone who does not yet own a truck but planning on getting one in the next few years, I think the Nissan would be a strong contender for me overall - I like the look of it and it should do what I need it to do. Waiting to see what the next gen Ranger is like before I pull the trigger on anything.

One thing that I don't understand is - why do all trucks seem to fall into only 2 very specific size categories, mid-size and full-size, and each truck within those categories is basically the exact same size (+/- maybe 2%). Like if you compare the various dimensions of different mid-size trucks, they are pretty much all close to identical.

In terms of the interior seating room (back seats in particular) I find mid-size trucks a bit too small and then full-size trucks are absolutely massive, with nothing in between. I can't be the only person who would love something that's half way between a mid-size truck and a full-size truck in terms of size. Why doesn't this exist? Every time a new gen version of a truck (i.e. the new Frontier) comes out I am crossing my fingers that they would make them a bit bigger in the interior but it never seems to happen.
Go sit in a Ranger Supercrew. Plenty of room. :like:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I actually have not sat in one in person so hopefully you're right and it's bigger than I am expecting. Looking for a vehicle that can carry 4 adults (and gear) relatively comfortable on 2-4 hour trips ideally.
My son and grandson ride in the back seat of my supercrew with no problem. My son is 6’3”. He has gone on some fairly long trips with us, but I think if it were a VERY long trip, he might get a little uncomfortable. I wish you the best in finding a truck that fits your needs. :) I will say, though, that I LOVE my Ranger!:turkey:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I actually have not sat in one in person so hopefully you're right and it's bigger than I am expecting. Looking for a vehicle that can carry 4 adults (and gear) relatively comfortable on 2-4 hour trips ideally.
The the Jeep Gladiator at 38.3" has the most rear seat legroom of the midsize trucks, but it is about 8" longer than a Ranger and the MSRP is in full size territory. it's not just about dimensions.
How high off the floor you sit, where your feet have to be, headrest intrusion etc all play a part in comfort.

wmadoty

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Technology Manager
please let dodge drop out first.

they'll cram a hellcat engine into theirs to get best in class numbers....and not worry about all the kids wrapping them around telephone poles.
I loved the Super Bee! I would have gotten one as my first car but I could not afford a new one. Asked a dealer about getting a used one and he told me there were no used Super Bee's, only new ones and those that had been crashed by teenagers.
Sponsored