Ranger vs the competition

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
What made you choose the Ranger over the Chevy/Toyota mid size trucks? How do you feel the Ranger Tremor stacks up to the Colorado ZR2?
Sponsored

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Because it was a Ford. Of all the manufacturers, I've had the best experience with Ford.

Deleted member 1634

1) Best gas fuel efficiency and powertrain in the segment
2) I get Z-plan pricing on Fords, so about 10% off w/out having to deal with the stupid haggling BS

And honestly that's probably pretty much it. All the others in the segment meet or exceed my needs/wants, so if it wasn't for either of those 2 reasons, I might have gone with something else. Or at the very least would have seriously considered something else. I'm not too picky. In the grand scheme of things all the competition is pretty similar, it just comes down to very specific and unique features and preferences. Most of which I don't have much of an opinion on or need for.

Tremor vs. ZR2 debates already in progress:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ranger-tremor-vs-colorado-zr2-bison.12215/
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fx-4-tremor-front-locker.12357/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Been driving Fords and Mercury’s for the last 35 years. My father in law worked for Ford for 28 years in Tennessee. So started with a Merc Villager for the family van and I got a Mountaineer. Then in 97 picked up a standard cab Ranger 3.0 for my daily. That ride got retired this past December. Drivetrain was still solid the frame, not so good! That brings me to the 2020 Ranger I’m in now. All those years and nothing major will continue to have me stick with what works and doesn’t break easily! Guys at work that own the others are always complaining about something that’s not right. They don’t ask me because I just laugh ?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Honest truth? COVID came along and in March 2020 I could get a brand new vehicle for 0% down 0% APR for 84 months, and 3 months deferred payment. My credit score at the time was only about 770 I think. Dealerships got desperate around this time.

I have never owned a new vehicle in all my life. Work provides a take home vehicle and I sold my 06 Dakota a year prior because I put like 100 miles on it in that year.

Now I do drive more often now, strictly out of pleasure not for commuting. After one year I still only have 4,000 miles on my 2019 Ranger.

I knew nothing about the Ranger or any other trucks at the time, Ford just happen to be on the way home from lunch one day and I stopped in. They had a white XLT that was leveled 2.5" by the dealer and had 285/17/70 Toyo OC AT2 already installed. They wanted to add $3,000 to the price tag for those two items. I told them they were out of their mind. In an act of compromise I got the extended 10 year/100k mile warranty package and GAP insurance and they dropped the cost of the level and tires. They still got the extra $3,000, but I wasn't paying $3,000 for what amounted to about $1000 in parts.

The only other Ranger on the lot was a white Lariat with every chrome option that would make a boomer wet their pants.

The choice was easy lol

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Tacoma was outdated, way overpriced, and had a weird seating position. People simply overpay for these and they would be more attractive if they were cheaper but the market has decided they are worth more than they are to me and many others. Drive one then look at the sticker price. There’s a disconnect between those two things.

zR2 is a GM product and in my eyes ugly and overly styled like every GM vehicle.

ridgeline is not a real truck... poor off-road ability and I wouldn’t be caught dead in one.

Ranger could be had in XLT FX4 trim with a rear locker and decent options for 33.5 when I bought mine. It’s comfortable, practical, and looks really good,. It surprises everyone with how good it performs off-road and is often overlooked there because it’s still relatively new to our market. Styling alone is better than the rest. I’m also excited that the bronco is coming out because it will bring more interest and bigger aftermarket to Ranger. We will be spoiled for choice on wheels etc.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Quite honestly, I didn't look at anything else. I have no choice: Ford is totally ingrained in my being. My dad quit high school to build and race Fords, and eventually became an "engineer" at Ford due to his experience and knowledge. My mom, also a leadfoot, drove, worked at, and raced Fords. I worked at a Ford stamping plant briefly after high school, and ended up as a designer at Ford. I needed a new pickup as my 2005 F150 was waning, and I didn't want a full size, so I walked into the dealership and ordered up a Ranger. Could another midsize have been better? Who knows.

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
Tacomas have drum brakes & Birfield joints. I'm not purchasing a ~2020 vehicle with 35 year old technology in it.

I liked the front locker on the Colorado, but I couldn't get over how unreliable their transmission is.

The Frontier hasn't been updated since 2003, but somehow still seemed more up-to-date than a Tacoma.

The Gladiator is VERY expensive and probably fits more in the full-size truck market.

Ridgeline doesn't even deserve a comment.

Although the Ranger is an old platform its the most up-to-date of all of the options. I think the Ranger will have a good run for its money in 2022/2023 when all of the other competitors update their trucks and new ones come onto the scene. It'll be a tight race then. But for 2019-2021 I don't think there's really much "competition" to speak of.

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Tacoma was outdated, way overpriced, and had a weird seating position. People simply overpay for these and they would be more attractive if they were cheaper but the market has decided they are worth more than they are to me and many others. Drive one then look at the sticker price. There’s a disconnect between those two things.

zR2 is a GM product and in my eyes ugly and overly styled like every GM vehicle.

ridgeline is not a real truck... poor off-road ability and I wouldn’t be caught dead in one.

Ranger could be had in XLT FX4 trim with a rear locker and decent options for 33.5 when I bought mine. It’s comfortable, practical, and looks really good,. It surprises everyone with how good it performs off-road and is often overlooked there because it’s still relatively new to our market. Styling alone is better than the rest. I’m also excited that the bronco is coming out because it will bring more interest and bigger aftermarket to Ranger. We will be spoiled for choice on wheels etc.
Exactly how I feel.

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
I come from a toyota family.

Dad drove a 1986 toyota land cruiser.
Mom drove a 2000 toyota sequioa/ 99 4runner.
Both sisters drive toyota's rav4's.

So naturally when the gen3 Tacoma came out I was stoked. I had just graduated college and needed a replacement for my beat up jeep wrangler. Wanted a truck. A daily. I didn't even consider another option. It had to be a tacoma. Hell, growing up my dream truck was the black tacoma from the back to the future movie. My mind was set.

Drove that thing for two years.

Cramped seating space. Shitty gas mileage. Weak transmission, especially on those road trips with uphill travel. The truck had no balls.

When the ranger came out it caught my eye. Good looking truck, especially in black. Had a more aggressive look compared to the softness of the tacoma. But the 4 cylinder engine held me back. I wanted a truck with balls not another weak mid sized truck.

So I went with the tundra trd pro. It was awesome. A dream to drive. But in the city it drove like a boat. So I started looking again and eventually test drove a ranger.

I was hooked.
That turbo got the adrenaline flowing.
The extended head space made me real comfortable.
The gas mileage by itself eventually sold me.

Couldn't be happier. I'll drive this thing for the next 10 years without a doubt.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Wait, what, are you telling me there are other manufacturers that make a mid size truck? Nah, can't be. My Dad, who was the smartest man I know told me, "Son, you can drive any kind of car you want, but Ford makes the best trucks." That was many years ago, and so far it has held true. After owning 6 other Ford trucks that never let me down, I didn't even look at the others.