First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I started with bigger pickups the. In 1991 I bought a new 91 Dakota, then I got a 95, then the last year of Dakota 2011. I traded the Dakota in on a 2019 Toyota Tacoma. It was a 6cyd 2 we.
Worst truck I've ever had. I live in flat Illinois. On the highway the transmission way too many times. So I saw a slightly used 2019 Ranger XL. They advertised it as loaded. It wasn't. So I traded it in on a new 2019 XLT 4wd. I bought it in 2020 April 2 for o%/84 months. I could not say no. Wow what a truck I love the turbo, the transmission 10 speed. The truck rides so great and the ride is so smooth. The Ford beats the Chevy model, I looked at them. Junk, I drove a GMC Canyon. Not impressed, could not compare to the Ranger. The Toyota cannot compare at all.
During our blizzard I has to take my daughter home, our Nissan sits too low, and was a snowplow!. So I out it in 4wd high
And took them home!!
Sponsored

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
1st I've been a FORD guy for 45 years, 2nd I am a FORD master tech, 3rd my 94 Ranger had 386,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still running great. I would NEVER buy the Taco because their drive train is weak, transmission is a POS. The Chevy isn't that bad but the H.P. and torque come in at way too high an RPM, which is no good for going off road. Having a turbo here in Colorado works well, the Ranger doesn't lack for power like the Taco and the GM twins.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
A 4x4 Ranger really is 3 vehicles all in one:

1) It’s a new 15 yr old f-150
2) it’s a new bronco
3) it’s a Mitsubishi Evo MR

It’s a great compromise rig that can do most of what a person wants.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting article although they got at least a couple things wrong:
  • 900 more lbs of towing capacity on the Ranger (should have been 1100 - 6400 vs 7500)
  • You have to buy the towing package to get the 7500 lb towing capacity - this is very deceiving as all the tow package gives you is the hitch - what you need to tow 7500 lbs is a class IV hitch.
But I guess they still chose the Ranger so...... :clap:

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
What made you choose the Ranger over the Chevy/Toyota mid size trucks? How do you feel the Ranger Tremor stacks up to the Colorado ZR2?
I chose the Ranger, not so much I lieu of the competition, but because the trade offer and substantial rebates that lowered the price by $5k! I was honestly a skeptic of the truck but after my research, driving it, and comparing it to the competition, the Ranger was a clear standout.

Tremor vs ZR2…Hmm, tough, but I really like the look of the ZR2 over the Tremor. It’s an impressive package. Chevy did a good job making it look aggressive and a more than decent suspension. Put the Ranger powerplant in the ZR2 and wow it would be awesome.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
I thought about this for a long time. I started looking a few years ago and almost pulled the trigger on a Ranger (should have) last year when the dealers were offering crazy deals. But I kept talking myself out of it.

My first car/truck was a Ranger back in 1990. Since then I have had (mine or company cars) many cars from Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, GMC, Saturn, Subaru, Kia, and Ford. I remember the ones I loved and the ones I hated and usually the Fords were my favorites.

When I decided to get a truck this time around, I took my time and watched every review video I could find on all trucks in the market (full and mid-size) and test drove many of them. I really wanted to love the Colorado/Canyon, but it just didn't excite me. The Ranger just felt right and it had the right specs and features I was looking for, along with the best transmission and engine. I needed a Super Cab for the bed length, so many of the crew-cab only trucks were out and I wanted something small enough to park in a garage.

I've only had it a month, but I have no regrets, other than I wish I did this a year ago when I could have gotten a better deal.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So Taco wins the safety segment because of radar cruise control? Come on. And they give the Taco props for having more engine and tranny options, even if they are not as good as the Rangers sole option? I hate the trend in these reviews of trying not to hurt anyone’s feelings.
I agree. I guess they are saying the ranger would win if they also offered it in 2.0, 1.8, 1.7, 1.6, 1.5 and 1.0L options ?

That being said, my ranger has radar cruise control.....?

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Couple of things. I only really had two choices. Ranger or Colorado. The Ranger just happened to have the best deal at the time (bought it on 5/28/21). I bought it just in time as June had no incentives left what so ever. I ended up getting close to 4K off on my Ranger.

Now why only between the Ranger and Colorado?

Well I had a 2019 Tacoma and although I had no major issues with it, I just did not like it. It did not feel as refined as the Ranger did. I did have some minor driveline issues with the rear end that the dealership could not figure out. I ended up getting rid of it. So the Tacoma was out of the picture.

The Frontier? It's a great freaking truck. I had a 2016 which I beat the living crap out of it and I had zero issues with it. Why didn't I go with a Frontier again? Severely outdated designed. I did not want to pay the same amount for a truck that's essentially 12+ years old.

The Gladiator, really over priced and no incentives so no go.

The Ridgeline, well I don't consider that a truck, so no go.

That left the Ranger. I love it so far. Great price and had the options I wanted (rear locker, 4x4, and 4 doors). I don't like the way the transmission feels. That is my only complaint. On the highway, which is most of my driving, it's great. Around town? Not so fun with this transmission, but I can live with it.

The Ranger, vs Tacoma, Ridgeline, and Frontier as far as reliability? MY personal opinion, all those other options are more reliable in the long run. I do not think this will be as trouble free in the high mileage range as those other options based on my research, but I hope I am wrong because I love this truck and want it to last.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of things. I only really had two choices. Ranger or Colorado. The Ranger just happened to have the best deal at the time (bought it on 5/28/21). I bought it just in time as June had no incentives left what so ever. I ended up getting close to 4K off on my Ranger.

Now why only between the Ranger and Colorado?

Well I had a 2019 Tacoma and although I had no major issues with it, I just did not like it. It did not feel as refined as the Ranger did. I did have some minor driveline issues with the rear end that the dealership could not figure out. I ended up getting rid of it. So the Tacoma was out of the picture.

The Frontier? It's a great freaking truck. I had a 2016 which I beat the living crap out of it and I had zero issues with it. Why didn't I go with a Frontier again? Severely outdated designed. I did not want to pay the same amount for a truck that's essentially 12+ years old.

The Gladiator, really over priced and no incentives so no go.

The Ridgeline, well I don't consider that a truck, so no go.

That left the Ranger. I love it so far. Great price and had the options I wanted (rear locker, 4x4, and 4 doors). I don't like the way the transmission feels. That is my only complaint. On the highway, which is most of my driving, it's great. Around town? Not so fun with this transmission, but I can live with it.

The Ranger, vs Tacoma, Ridgeline, and Frontier as far as reliability? MY personal opinion, all those other options are more reliable in the long run. I do not think this will be as trouble free in the high mileage range as those other options based on my research, but I hope I am wrong because I love this truck and want it to last.
Hi Steve,

I can not use my crystal ball to forecast you Ranger longevity, but Ford tests Trucks to the equivalent of 150,000 miles of a 90% customer. Industrial customers. So your Ranger should deliver much mileage.

I pride my tenure in Ranger with the fact that so many folks had high mileage Rangers that delivered. i have no bout that the 5G Ranger will deliver similar results.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Forrd Motor Co. Retired

Deerhunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Ops
Price and price alone for me. I was shopping for a stripped down small truck, vinyl interior for under $25,000 out the door price. It would be my daily driver/fun truck. I had absolutely no intentions of towing with it. I have a fine and fancy loaded out GMC Sierra Z71 that I bought brand new in 2018. It now has 17,000 miles on it. Still looks and smells brand new inside and out. My daily driver for the last 14 years has been a 1997 single cab Tacoma. I was looking to replace it for something with a little more interior room than a single cab. I wanted an extended cab. I shopped for Ranger, Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon, and Frontier. Ranger was the only one that could get me that out the door price I was looking to stay under. I will tell you this, I got a whole hell of a lot more truck than I paid for. It's exactly what I wanted, plus WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY more. I didn't do any research on the engine, prior to owning. No other truck in this class(small truck) can touch the towing capacity and the power this thing has. Fuel mileage has far exceeded my expectations as well. Bone stock, I was getting 26-28MPG. After level and 18" rims and 32" tires, I am still getting 19-22MPG..... When I'm taking it easy on the highway :crackup: Most of my driving is interstate. Once the truck was mine, it was then that someone brought to my attention the towing capacity. The truck came with a factory tow hitch, so I hooked up to my 21' bass boat with my standards set low and took off. I was, and still am blown away at how well this "small" truck tows a 21' bass boat. My beautiful Z71 will just sit there and become a show truck now lol. I have no reason to use it for local fishing. That being said, for the longer fishing trips, where I'm traveling for more than an hour and staying overnight, I will use the Z71, due to seating comfort and room for gear.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I don't like the way the transmission feels. That is my only complaint. On the highway, which is most of my driving, it's great. Around town? Not so fun with this transmission, but I can live with it.
Just curious, but what is the "feel" of the transmission that you don't like? Is it that it shifts too much (too many gears)? Or is it something else?

I was concerned about having a transmission with 10 speeds, worried it would be shifting all the time, but in practice, many of the shifts you can't even feel unless you REALLY pay attention. For me, it has been a non issue.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Just curious, but what is the "feel" of the transmission that you don't like? Is it that it shifts too much (too many gears)? Or is it something else?

I was concerned about having a transmission with 10 speeds, worried it would be shifting all the time, but in practice, many of the shifts you can't even feel unless you REALLY pay attention. For me, it has been a non issue.
Very clunky around town, very often it clunks when slowing down, speeding up, etc. It likes to keep gears high unless you step on it around town, so sometimes I’ll just put it in sports mode if I know I’ll be using it around town for a while.
Sponsored