First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
I think a big part of the issue is that there simply aren't any Rangers on lots to buy. Before I ordered, I could pretty much buy a Colorado every time I went out and looked at GM dealers. There was never a Ranger in stock, and you're pretty much looking at a 6 month wait to get one.

I very nearly said screw it many times and went with a different vehicle during this wait for my ranger to be built, and I'm sure there are many other people who need a truck quicker than me who went that route.
Sponsored

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Seems like a portion of this is due to parts constraints. I also wonder how much is due to adverting or the lack of. I know we've talked about this but all the others I see/ hear advertising for but I've never seen even one Ranger commercial. Ford's marketing needs to start doing a better job at this once the next Gen comes out. Otherwise they'll keep slipping in sales and make last place.

Surprised to see Toyotas numbers up so much. With one of the worst drivetrains out there I guess they really have a cult following. :devil:
I’m thinking this is mainly a combination of lack of units as well as having the maverick as part of their inventory. I went to a Nissan dealership before getting a ranger and they had 15 or so Fontiers on their lot. Ford dealerships didn’t have any Rangers. So that combined with competing against the Maverick and Bronco for that matter would make sales go way down. Nissan and Toyota only have two trucks whereas Ford has three, the Maverick being very sought after and most likely taking away sales from the Ranger.

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
I've just been sitting here for a moment thinking about this; and it really is a perplexing situation to have a vehicle that was essentially brought here by market demand and then not receive any follow up marketing support. I'm talking your traditional "you asked, we listened," ad campaign.

When I read the tale of how the Ranger was brought back to the US market, there is an often quoted instance of Ford USA determining that mid-size truck demand would wane in favor of the Aluminum F-150. That belief came to be only partially realized by Ford as they saw many of their customers go to Toyota or GM for their Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon. So they acquired Ford Australia's T6 Ranger for USA development and the rest is history.

Now (2019) Ford has a truck that is more capable than the competition, more fuel efficient than the competition, and has all of the sizzle of a "new" model, and they decide not to advertise until their competition catches up 1 generation later? So perplexing to me. The only reason that really makes sense to me is that they knew internally from day 1 that the Bronco production was going to be a disaster and encouraging Ranger sales would only exacerbate that.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
One possibility is that they brought the Ranger back to 'prove' the US platform so that it was ready for the Bronco.
Another just as likely is to meet CAFE numbers.
And I wonder, would Toyota and Nissan have introduced their new model had it not been for the US Ranger.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
And they brought it back just in time for a silly little pandemic to ruin all their well laid plans....

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have seen absolutely no Ranger advertisements here in the Portland metro area. At my Ford dealer they do have a bunch of fleet Rangers on the lot along with a bunch of fleet Mavericks and F-150's. All are white. I have seen a bunch of different Rangers that are company trucks. The city of Tigard has all Rangers. My company F350's big old boats for PSR and Sales guy rigs. No thanks. Ford is missing the boat for sure. These are fantastic trucks in there class but obviously Ford doesn't put any kind of priority on selling them. SAD!

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I think the Ranger has/had three main issues.
1. Supply chain.
2. Bronco priority.
3. Ford will do no marketing that could even remotely cost them the sale of so much as a single F150. IMO this may be the biggest single issue.

The F150 is their holy grail. And if many F150 owners would be honest and/or did their homework, a Ranger with it's capabilities is all they need. Ford knows it. But they sure as hell aren't going to educate the public on that fact. Ford promotes the 6G Ranger in the ROW as they don't have the F150 fear. It'll be interesting to see how they handle marketing here for the 6G.

I too feel some frustration with Ford's handling of the Ranger. Heck, still waiting on my '23. But there is another part of me that is glad that this generation hasn't blown the doors off of the market from a sales perspective. My truck will be a bit unique. I can't walk to the mailbox without seeing a Taco. Or 12. See the GM Twins regularly. Nissan? Ditto. But the damn Taco's are pervasive.

And if all goes according to plan, shortly after I receive my Ranger, Ford will finally release the 6G to NA. Sealing the deal as to my truck being more unique. I personally like that. Like it a lot.
Sponsored