Here comes more competition for the Ranger

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I saw one at the local dealer when I drove past on the way to Lowes last night. I was wondering whey they had a ridgeline up on this platform, turns out it was not a ridgeline
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Willing to bet that GM already has one in the works...they will have too to be competitive...could even use the old "Luv" name.
Kia...the same as a Hyundai. Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep...could easily build one on their small unibody Jeep/Fiat platforms.
VW on their Jetta platform. Subaru has been there n done that and could easily re-do their Impreza platform.
And every one would be "ripe" for change over to the upcoming "electrical" wave.
Just like the 90's when every manufacturer had to come out with a small suv to stay in the game I think they will have to come out with their versions of the small unibody pickups.

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
If the Santa Cruz or Maverick were around when I was shopping for the Ranger.... I'd probably have one... I'm one of those that like the utility of a truck bed but will probably never tow and if I did probably not over 2-3k lbs anyway... But, that being said, I do love my Ranger and I keep looking back at it and smiling when I walk towards it...

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
1626186458490.png
1626186487691.png

I quite like the truck in the bed, and the steps in the bumper, I wish our trucks had those features to be honest, but hey, the Ranger is a much older platform. I do like the front end of the Santa Cruz, but if I was actually in the market for one of these compact unibody trucks, the Maverick, costing less, and getting 40MPG in the Maverick vs 27 in the Santa Cruz, would be my first choice. I have a feeling that 40MPG is going to be a big deal to small businesses looking to get a small work truck.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hummm. I wonder if a Honda designer jumped ship and went to work for Hyundai?

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Almost looks like a Forester with a truck bed. Maverick looks better but not sure if I like the frone end of it either.

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I think it looks pretty sharp! To call it competition against the Ranger is maybe a stretch though? I see this as being more in line with the Maverick and even Ridgeline (Unibody, AWD). A softer alternative to a traditional truck that's perfectly adequate for light work and running around town.

I feel Hyundai has an uphill battle on their hands with this one. This will have the same stigma that the Ridgeline currently has in that many people will not see it as a "real truck" and it also comes from a brand not normally associated with trucks or looking "tough". To many people appearance or perception means just as much as actual capability.

It's not something I would buy personally but I can appreciate the risk they're taking. At the end of the day more competition is good for the customers so I wish them luck.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Looks like that thing needs a tail gate damper!!!! I personally don't really like the looks of either the Maverick or the Santa Cruz. They are small trucks. I still have my 1999 Toyota Tacoma 2WD super cab truck which is a small truck. I mainly drive my Ranger however and absolutely love it.

Mark Sitter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
When looking at the price difference remember the Santa Cruz Limited comes completely loaded with some items not even available on the Maverick even as options. I have a 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy with the 2.5 Turbo and in sport mode it is certainly a match for my 2019 Ranger. So the Hyundai has more power, probably better build quality, many more features than the Maverick and the 100,000 mile warranty along with 3 years of complementary maintenance. I am sure that if you loaded a Maverick Lariat with every available option you would end up very close in price to the Santa Cruz.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Did not consider it as we needed a towing capable full frame truck.
But had we, at least for me, a 4 door crew would have been a turn off.
Too bad Ford didn't consider following their initial renderings of a 2 door extended cab, along with a crew cab.

2021_FORD_RANGER_MS_RT_SUPER_CAB_14-e1611091701734.jpg

2021-Ford-Courier-compact-pickup-truck-rendering-rear-three-quarter-MT.jpg

JohnDLG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL Supercrew FX4
I kind of dig the different looks of the Santa Cruz, but the hybrid Maverick is just better value.

Gonna replace my car with a Maverick for commuting and will keep my Ranger for actual truck uses.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I like it design looks wise. Interesting no pics of the front interior and seats.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I believe people are going to snatch these, and the Mavericks, up as soon as their available.
Those homeowners who don't need a full or mid size pickup. The weekenders who run to Lowes for bags of soil, mulch, gardening stuff, for their gardens. Small business deliveries. Mom's with a couple of kids who don't want'/need an suv. Those folks that have to hook up their small 4 x 6 utility trailer everytime they go to Lowes/Home Depot.
Throw in 275 hp, same as our Rangers, in a small "truck" that weighs 6-7-800 lbs less and you have a pocket rocket.
And remember, there hasn't been a small pick up since Ford discontinued the original Ranger's in 2011. Ford had gone as far as they could with an outdated design, and sales fell. These new "small" trucks have all the modern bells n whistles that have become part of the norm. There safe, reliable, and easy to drive, park in any garage, and cheap to buy.
I see younger owners starting up the whole mini truck thing again.
And if they do take off, look for the other manufacturers to jump in.
What will be interesting is to see how many of those people buy a Maverick or Santa Cruz instead of a Ranger, especially since there's more leg room in the back of the Maverick. Ford might be cannibalizing some of the Ranger market for the exact reasons mentioned - only need enough hauling space for some mulch or a some bikes, etc. Especially since they actually did a lot of engineering to get the most out of that tiny bed. The Maverick doesn't do what I need a truck to do put it certainly gets done what a lot of people who would have been looking at the Ranger need.
Sponsored