RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Very clunky around town, very often it clunks when slowing down, speeding up, etc. It likes to keep gears high unless you step on it around town, so sometimes I’ll just put it in sports mode if I know I’ll be using it around town for a while.
It does like to keep it in higher gears for sure, and sport mode definitely changes that, but the clunking doesn't sound right to me. I've never had mine clunk when slowing down.

Wondering if you might be a bit low on fluid?
Sponsored

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
It does like to keep it in higher gears for sure, and sport mode definitely changes that, but the clunking doesn't sound right to me. I've never had mine clunk when slowing down.

Wondering if you might be a bit low on fluid?
Yeah could be a possibility. I may take it in to get checked out. I just don’t have a lot of faith in dealerships. Working up the courage to do it lol..

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
When I started thinking about getting a mid-size truck I was already leaning toward the Ranger but somewhat looked into a GMC. To me, the Ranger had the nicer styling, enough horsepower, the shade of blue I liked, and remembering when I had my '90 F150 that it NEVER gave me ANY problems. After some homework I found the GMC's V6 had 306hp which is pretty good, but with using 93 octane in our 2.3 turbo (stock tune), you can get pretty close to that number and my Ranger was considerably less than the GMC. I also eventually learned of reliability issues with the GMC's that turned me off completely to it. (Laughably), I didn't even consider any other brands.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been a “Ranger guy” for years - not a fanboy, I just like the styling, size, payload, and reliability. When they stopped making the NA version, I waited patiently, hoping they would come back. I saw the ROW Rangers online and was jealous but there was something about the larger headlights that turned me off. I stopped paying attention to the possible re-introduction to NA because my Ranger was still running well, looking good, and meeting my needs. When I saw that the 2019 was finally here, I headed to a dealership to see one close up. There was no choice but to trade in my ‘01. My 2019 XLT is definitely living up to its reputation.

Chevy and GMC? Too much rake - what’s with those square wheel wells?
Tacoma? Under-powered and uncomfortable.
Frontier? It’s like if vegetable lasagna was a truck.
Gladiator? It’s not a work truck and it’s Fugly.
Ridgeline? Again, not a work truck - nice new styling but not for me.

Tremor vs. ZR2? The ZR2 looks like it’s trying too hard. The Tremor just has a stance that speaks for itself. It’s a bit like Rocky vs. Apollo Creed.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Some of you might flame me for this, but the Ranger looks are more subdue compared to the competition and that's just what I like. No fake vents, odd shapes out of place, it's just refined simplicity.

Only gripe I have is the huge pressed "Ranger" on the tailgate, id like it to be smaller or eliminated at best, I already know it's a Ranger, I could care less if the guy behind me knows it. But oh well, when life gives you pressed letters on your tailgate...fill it in with a sticker, and make it twice as obnoxious by making it reflective?

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
1626186977020.png

The current design language eliminated the Chevy for me. I just find it incredibly ugly. I think the Ranger is much nicer on the eyes. Honestly, all the recent Chevys have such ugly front ends. I don't like the new Silverado and this thing is a travesty
1626187216662.png

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
I researched all of my options before pulling the trigger on the Ranger. In the end it came down to the more capable and exciting powertrain of the Ranger, its interior size/ergonomics, and I just think it looks neat.

My thoughts on the competition:

Tacoma: Drum brakes (on a $40k vehicle in 2021!!!!), powertrain felt sedated, interior felt small/cramped. Bonus: Poke around a current gen Tacoma forum when you get a chance and you'll find two things quite quickly: 1)They're not nearly as well built as their owners would make you believe (their front grills warping/bubbling as an example), 2) The absolute worst, most toxic community I've come across in my many years as a car enthusiast. No other truck compares to the mighty Tacoma. To say otherwise would equate to a personal attack against them. They're not all like that, but you get the idea.

Colorado: My personal runner up against the Ranger, and it was close. I test drove a Colorado back to back with the Ranger and the Ranger was simply more fun to drive (more torque!!). The Ranger having slightly better MPG, higher payload/towing numbers was icing on the cake. Subjective: I like the styling of the Ranger more as well, interior and exterior. Also, I think the Ranger has more available technology/safety features than the Colorado? Could be wrong on that.
Sponsored

Last edited: