First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
When I got out of the army (1990) I drove a Nissan king cab. That engine had two spark plugs per cylinder. And the jump seats in the back faced each other that folded down, it was only a two door.
remember the old Nissan King Cab SE and XE? these things are still on the road!!

frontierse.jpg
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
remember the old Nissan King Cab SE and XE? these things are still on the road!!

frontierse.jpg
That is what I had. The rear windows are bent at the top and part of the roof. Zero problems, all dependable for a engineering student working part time.

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Have to admit, it looks pretty good alongside the Ranger! How is the ride quality on the Nissan?
I test drove two models a 4x4 SV with had the 17 inch all season tires, and a Pro-X with the 17 beefier all terrain tires.

the SV 4x4 drove very nice, the ride was smooth. On the Pro-x, was concerned about the bigger tires and the Bilstein shocks, and how it would affect ride quality, but I could not tell the difference, and if had not been looking and knew, I would have assumed it was the same truck in ride quality.

the hydraulic steering is a bit stiff, but you get used to it, versus the electric.

And the 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed. What a major difference in the 4.0 V6 in previous years.
Much quieter, 9 speed is perfectly paired. Doesn't continually "hunt" for gears (sometimes I hate the Ranger for getting in that high gear too quick then "lugging" down because it doesn't know to downshift). Once up to speed it pretty well stayed in 9th. If It did downshift, I could not tell it. Shifts flawlessly, and it appears to have a bit more power than the Ranger. Ranger you have that low end torque, but this was just a test drive on the Nissan.

there will be the people who say NO NO NO to the new Frontier, but honestly, unless you've seen it in person, and driven it, well.....

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I drove this one in the BAJA brown color. they had another one it was Tactical Green.

front.png
1631457103379.png

Looks beefier and more like a truck than what Nissan was thinking about coming out with. However, I am still not a fan of the front end. Something about the headlight-bumper-foglight flow that doesn't look right not to mention the grill to lower intakes. BTEHO

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
1631457103379.png

Looks beefier and more like a truck than what Nissan was thinking about coming out with. However, I am still not a fan of the front end. Something about the headlight-bumper-foglight flow that doesn't look right not to mention the grill to lower intakes. BTEHO
I think that was the Navara made for Australia, New Zealand, Central America, South America, Asia, Europe, and South Africa. Made in Barcelona.

General hype was that this was what the 2022 Frontier WOULD be and look like in the US, but that changed.

CF6-mech

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4
Occupation
aircraft mechanic
I would have looked real close at the Frontier if it was available when I was shopping, but I didn't like the old body.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Just getting into 5g Ranger from 2018 Frontier I am constantly amazed how much better the Fords turn radius is.
Has that improved with the new Frontier?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I think the biggest thing the Frontier has going for it is for the people who seriously love to change up their truck. It is basically the same frame as the Titan, just chopped and some cross members relocated. People swap in Titan brakes, suspension, and even the 5.6L engine on the last version of the Frontier and since it's still rolling on the same frame and suspension now, you should be able to continue doing those kind of things.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Way ahead of you on that one, RP - here you go - just copy and paste. Don’t bother sending it to any of the Moderators, I’ve already notified the Administrator. You should probably do it quickly before they delete this offensive thread.

?
I'm an automobile lover PERIOD. I'm not a lunatic attached to one vehicle and/or brand like some people are. I wouldn't consider trading in my Ranger. I love it. BUT that doesn't mean I can't look at other vehicles and love their beauty as well :) I think the new Frontier has A LOT going for it. I had a 2016 Frontier and mine was bullet proof. I beat the absolute crap out of that thing and it kept going. My only complaint with my Ranger is the highway vibration which seemed to go away with some tweaks I made, and hopefully gone for good now that I am getting a one piece driveshaft installed on Friday. I plan to keep her for the long haul.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. But having owned 2 Nissan Frontiers from 2000 to 2018 I never experienced any of those problems. both bought new. In fact my 2000 had zero issues. From the day I picked it up never went back to the dealership except to trade it in for my 2006.
Now the 2006 generation had issues that should have made that list. Tranny cooler in the radiator failure resulting in pink milkshake in radiator and engine! ? but easy fix if you a secondary cooler (std with towing pkg!), was to bypass the radiator cooler and rely on just the secondary only (adding a trans temp gauge as a safety highky recommended!). Then there was faulty fuel level sending units. Had to replace mine at ~100k miles. And finally the timing chain snubbers. These could fail early, mine lasted 130k and is why I sold the truck. to Carmax.
And cmon listing the Takada airbag issue as a Nissan issue. It affected alot more than Nissan.
But I am very happy with my Ranger, it would have been a tough decision. I have no plans to sell my Ranger, hopfuly in this decade!
Not trying to thread crap you Nick, just giving a long time Nissan owner perspective.
Absolutely right about the toccata airbags I'm not gonna bother correcting the spelling. Siri. And I'm very happy that you didn't have those issues. I know there's many people that are probably repeat buyers of Nissans because they have been happy with them. For me, Hondas gave me the least amount of issues but here I am back in Ford again to stay except I will keep my wife in a Honda. A big part of that is because of how they hold their value.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
@GregsFX2Ranger Appreciate the feedback Greg. Haven't had the chance to drive one yet. What did you think of the seats and seating position? How was the steering wheel/column position relative to the ranger? One thing that's drives me nuts with the ranger is how far left the brake pedal is. Not good on my bad lower discs.

Deleted member 9836

No locker even available on the Pro-X unlike standard with FX2...deal breaker.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Just getting into 5g Ranger from 2018 Frontier I am constantly amazed how much better the Fords turn radius is.
Has that improved with the new Frontier?
OMG - YES!
I the last gen Frontier had a terrible turning radius. I am still amazed whenever a need to do a tight turn or u-turn with my Ranger

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
@GregsFX2Ranger Appreciate the feedback Greg. Haven't had the chance to drive one yet. What did you think of the seats and seating position? How was the steering wheel/column position relative to the ranger? One thing that's drives me nuts with the ranger is how far left the brake pedal is. Not good on my bad lower discs.
Seats were comfortable in both the SV and Pro-x, of course the Pro-X seats seemed to be a little better quality. the lumbar control is manual. the rest are power on the SV and Pro-X.
Steering wheel does tilt, but does NOT telescope (pull forward).
One other thing, the console in the Frontier is much better than Ranger, and so is the center armrest.

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
OMG - YES!
I the last gen Frontier had a terrible turning radius. I am still amazed whenever a need to do a tight turn or u-turn with my Ranger
Its improved a bit but not substantially. that is one of the things a guy tested in a youtube video. U turns on a narrower road might be challenging,
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.