First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
The Pro4X (V6) gets the worst gas mileage of the midsize trucks.
And what kind of average are you talking about?
And what year are you referring to?
Sponsored

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
I like the new frontier alot...interior is way better than the Ranger. If Nissan got its act together and released them two years ago they would have had my money forsure!

Paul
The Prox and Pro4x have a little different style seats, color accents, and the 9 inch screen, and I believe the interior is all black (as shown). That 9 inch touch screen is awesome. Its so bright and hi-def. I honestly hate that huge bezel around the Ranger touchscreen.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The Pro4X (V6) gets the worst gas mileage of the midsize trucks.
C'mon man! ? Mid size trucks get like 20MPG +/-1 or 2
I have had a 4 banger small PU, a mid size 4.0L V6 and now a 2.3L 4 turbo. They all got 18-19 around town and 22 on the hwy on a good day.
Sorry my point! First or last really doesn't matter

And All - whats the deal with dog piling on the OP (and Frontier). What's funny is I just read a post where someone ordered a new Ranger and with all the Ranger trash talk aound here he is second guessing his decision!

I loved my Frontier(s) and I love my Ranger

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
C'mon man! ? Mid size trucks get like 20MPG +/-1 or 2
I have had a 4 banger small PU, a mid size 4.0L V6 and now a 2.3L 4 turbo. They all got 18-19 around town and 22 on the hwy on a good day.
Sorry my point! First or last really doesn't matter

And All - whats the deal with dog piling on the OP (and Frontier). What's funny is I just read a post where someone ordered a new Ranger and with all the Ranger trash talk aound here he is second guessing his decision!

I loved my Frontier(s) and I love my Ranger
I have test driven TWO 2022's with 4x4. Each test drive was about 30 miles. 85% highway. 15% small town. In the SV 4x4, I think I end up averaging 24.9 mpg, the Pro came in about the same with the bigger tires. This was the new 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed.

I know 30 miles isn't a very long drive for an "overall", but I was impressed.

NOW, with that said, the previous gen with the 6 speed? and the 4.0 V6, indeed was a gas hog, and its outdated driver info center didn't even have a mpg calculator, did it?

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I have test driven TWO 2022's with 4x4. Each test drive was about 30 miles. 85% highway. 15% small town. In the SV 4x4, I think I end up averaging 24.9 mpg, the Pro came in about the same with the bigger tires. This was the new 3.8 V6 with the 9 speed.

I know 30 miles isn't a very long drive for an "overall", but I was impressed.

NOW, with that said, the previous gen with the 6 speed? and the 4.0 V6, indeed was a gas hog, and its outdated driver info center didn't even have a mpg calculator, did it?
Mine did not, but I had a ScanGaugeII which did. I used to drive 150miles a day to work pretty much all hwy and maybe got to 22.

55F100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I'm seriously considering the new Frontier...was pretty well set on the Ranger but the unresolved fuel dilution issue put me off the idea plus my 2014 Fiesta ST (made in Mexico FWIW) recently needed $3K in repairs with only 45K miles ?. If and when Ford has a definitive fix for fuel dilution and implements it at the factory I'd maybe go with a Ranger.
(I dealt with serious fuel dilution problems on big diesels when I was a generator tech and no way I want to repeat that experience with my personal vehicle...and yes I do know that not all Rangers have that problem)

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My 2018 Pro4X did have the mpg readout and I averaged 11-12 mpg doing the same drives that my Ranger gets 16-18 on.

The D40 Frontier had a 5 speed auto and a 6 speed manual.

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
I'm seriously considering the new Frontier...was pretty well set on the Ranger but the unresolved fuel dilution issue put me off the idea plus my 2014 Fiesta ST (made in Mexico FWIW) recently needed $3K in repairs with only 45K miles ?. If and when Ford has a definitive fix for fuel dilution and implements it at the factory I'd maybe go with a Ranger.
(I dealt with serious fuel dilution problems on big diesels when I was a generator tech and no way I want to repeat that experience with my personal vehicle...and yes I do know that not all Rangers have that problem)
the 3.8 V6 in the Frontier is direct-injection but that engine has been out 2 years, so they should have had time to tweak any major issues before it hit the 2022.
I have not read about anything about the fuel dilution in detail on the Frontier.

55F100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
the 3.8 V6 in the Frontier is direct-injection but that engine has been out 2 years, so they should have had time to tweak any major issues before it hit the 2022.
I have not read about anything about the fuel dilution in detail on the Frontier.
I haven't seen anything on fuel dilution on the 3.8 Nissan either and FWIW it hasn't been a problem on the DI 1.6 Ecoboost in my Fiesta ST either.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I got offered 32,000 for my Ranger which is about what I paid for it. No rebates/incentives/discounts on a 2022 Frontier. its full msrp!
I can remember the GM when I worked at a dealership 20 years go saying "people only care about one thing: how much they get on trade". I think about this in today's world when I see some people at work trading in 2 or 3 times since this mess started (neighbor is on his 4th truck since mid 2019). In EVERY case it's the same thing "I got $$$$$ on my truck in trade!!" The ONLY number that matters is the difference. IE, you take the asking price minus the trade value. I just don't see any way possible these people are coming out ahead, all of them are buying full size trucks at full MSRP where as before covid you could get them for $10k or more under sticker. Doing it once on a truck a few years old might have been a good deal initially, but doing at full MSRP can not be better than the deals pre-covid. If this mess ever gets sorted out, prices will come back down and people will pay the piper then with major negative equity if this happens in the next 2-3 years. If supply ends up constrained forever, then we're all paying way too much if we buy a vehicle regardless.

Sorry about my rant, back on topic. I think the Frontier looks good. I don't like the GMish "fender vents" (even GM did away with them on the 22' Silverado because of customer feedback), but otherwise it's a sharp truck. The frame is pretty much a carry over (it was years ahead of it's time so not saying that's bad) and Nissan kept the dimensions of the smaller (than most) old Frontier. They essentially took the truck and updated the metal and interior to include much needed tech upgrades. Some features like lane keep are not even an option because Nissan kept hydraulic power steering ( which is not an issue to me, personlly I like it better than EPS and I never use lane keep), but just be aware of everything. I had a 2008 Frontier and it was a very good truck. I do think with Ford, GM (and maybe even Toyota?) will all leave Nissan back in the dust mid 22' when they release their all new 2023 models. That is the curse of owning a Nissan truck. They are good trucks, they just don't have the resources to keep up tech etc to the big players.

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
I can remember the GM when I worked at a dealership 20 years go saying "people only care about one thing: how much they get on trade". I think about this in today's world when I see some people at work trading in 2 or 3 times since this mess started (neighbor is on his 4th truck since mid 2019). In EVERY case it's the same thing "I got $$$$$ on my truck in trade!!" The ONLY number that matters is the difference. IE, you take the asking price minus the trade value. I just don't see any way possible these people are coming out ahead, all of them are buying full size trucks at full MSRP where as before covid you could get them for $10k or more under sticker. Doing it once on a truck a few years old might have been a good deal initially, but doing at full MSRP can not be better than the deals pre-covid. If this mess ever gets sorted out, prices will come back down and people will pay the piper then with major negative equity if this happens in the next 2-3 years. If supply ends up constrained forever, then we're all paying way too much if we buy a vehicle regardless.

Sorry about my rant, back on topic. I think the Frontier looks good. I don't like the GMish "fender vents" (even GM did away with them on the 22' Silverado because of customer feedback), but otherwise it's a sharp truck. The frame is pretty much a carry over (it was years ahead of it's time so not saying that's bad) and Nissan kept the dimensions of the smaller (than most) old Frontier. They essentially took the truck and updated the metal and interior to include much needed tech upgrades. Some features like lane keep are not even an option because Nissan kept hydraulic power steering ( which is not an issue to me, personlly I like it better than EPS and I never use lane keep), but just be aware of everything. I had a 2008 Frontier and it was a very good truck. I do think with Ford, GM (and maybe even Toyota?) will all leave Nissan back in the dust mid 22' when they release their all new 2023 models. That is the curse of owning a Nissan truck. They are good trucks, they just don't have the resources to keep up tech etc to the big players.
Just to add, I am on my THIRD vehicle in less than a year. 19 ram, 20 ranger, 21 ranger.
Netted money on the RAM, got the 20 ranger at a good price with rebates and discounts, didn't like the FX2, traded it for a 21, got $3,000 more for the 20 ranger than I paid, Applied that to the 21 ranger, got almost $3 off with rebates and discounts. I still came out at head with the $3 extra from the 20.
In another story, my lease ended on my 19 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Residual value was crazy low. I purchased end of lease, and sold it back to the dealer for $4940 profit!!
But, you are correct, at some point all this is going to plateau......

I can assure you the 2022 Frontier DOES have lane keep (departure). The hydraulic steering obviously didn't have an effect on that.

P.S. Tech is pretty nice in the 22.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Status
Not open for further replies.