First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
Did Toyota make a tune change to the new Tacoma’s? My son has a 2021 Ranger FX4 and just had a 3rd Gen Taco surprise the heck out of him off the line. Out of fairness to the Ranger, my son told me he didn’t even know the Tacoma was there until the light turned green. He would have raced him if he had known the Tacoma was next to him. He told me he was impressed with the launch the Tacoma had and that it was far better than the one we test drove a few years ago. If Toyota hasn’t made a change, my guesses would be a Pedal Commander or a tune.
Still got the same ole 6 speed transmission though????? ???
Sponsored

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Thought I'd supply a little update since its been about a week of ownership of the Frontier.

Overall, I'm impressed. I am really satisfied with the power of their truck with its 3.8 V6. This is a HUGE improvement over the previous gen with the 4.0 V6.

The 3.8 is very quiet and very smooth shifting with the new 9 speed transmission. On the highway, it purrs right along in 9th. in the city, I've found that I have to lock out 9th (like in the ranger I had to lock out 8th, 9th, and 10th). I haven't noticed any "lugging" in the lower gears at lower speeds 40-50mph like I did in the ranger.
If there is any "gear hunting" in the 3.8, its very subtle, sometimes not even noticeable. 1st, 2nd, is pretty quick. gains torque/momentum in 3rd and 4th, and the depending on grade, shifts right up to 9th (or 8th).
Engine is a bit noisy until it gets good and warmed up. Doesn't sound any worse than the Ranger (that sounds like sewing machine). Thanks direct injection!
oil changes will be a breeze, as the oil filter is on the bottom of the block in front. No weird mazes to change the oil! filter is $5.50.

Ride quality I'm going to compare to the Ranger FX2, because the PRO-X is a close comparison. initially, took a few days to get the optimum tire pressure. Of course, off the truck it was 50+. Driving home I said, WTF. Recommended cold was 35. 37 cold seems to be the sweet spot. Hankook 17 inch AT2 tires
Just like the FX2, different shocks and different tires. Highway great ride. If you get on a bumpy road, you will feel every bump. If you're on a road with the seams, you feel those as well. Bilstein 4600 shocks on the Frontier. HOWEVER, I got a more choppy consistent ride in the Ranger all the time, versus the Frontier.

Impressed with the mileage. This is a combination of 50/50 highway/city-town.
Highest was 26.8 which plateaued on the highway. Overall since driving off the lot now is 25.1 mpg in 267 miles (obviously city driving dragged this down a bit).

interior quality is good. Seats are comfortable.. No wind noise, No rattles. everything within reach. As with the Ranger, you need to hit a button to control the fan speed, instead of turning a knob. Guess You get used to it after a while. A/C blows plenty cold and forceful.

Touch screen is bright, but it does have some glare on it at certain angles compared to the Ranger's some what "matte" finish touchscreen. Nissan Connect is similar to SYNC. App can control truck functions. Vehicle health reports, etc Hotspot thru AT&T. Navigation is standard on the Pro-x and Pro-4x.

Tailgate has a damper from the factory! LOL All weather
high mats were installed

Well, that's about all I can think about to talk about so far. Any questions you all might be interested in asking I'll try to answer.
frontmpg1.jpg
frontmpg2.jpg
frontier_int.jpg

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Does your calculated mpg match the trucks display mpg??

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
Does your calculated mpg match the trucks display mpg??
I see distrust in the so-called lie-o-meter all over the place here... Is it a prolific Ford issue? I've been in a Subaru for the last 8 years and it's pretty darn close to manual tracking...

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Thought I'd supply a little update since its been about a week of ownership of the Frontier.

Overall, I'm impressed. I am really satisfied with the power of their truck with its 3.8 V6. This is a HUGE improvement over the previous gen with the 4.0 V6.

The 3.8 is very quiet and very smooth shifting with the new 9 speed transmission. On the highway, it purrs right along in 9th. in the city, I've found that I have to lock out 9th (like in the ranger I had to lock out 8th, 9th, and 10th). I haven't noticed any "lugging" in the lower gears at lower speeds 40-50mph like I did in the ranger.
If there is any "gear hunting" in the 3.8, its very subtle, sometimes not even noticeable. 1st, 2nd, is pretty quick. gains torque/momentum in 3rd and 4th, and the depending on grade, shifts right up to 9th (or 8th).
Engine is a bit noisy until it gets good and warmed up. Doesn't sound any worse than the Ranger (that sounds like sewing machine). Thanks direct injection!
oil changes will be a breeze, as the oil filter is on the bottom of the block in front. No weird mazes to change the oil! filter is $5.50.

Ride quality I'm going to compare to the Ranger FX2, because the PRO-X is a close comparison. initially, took a few days to get the optimum tire pressure. Of course, off the truck it was 50+. Driving home I said, WTF. Recommended cold was 35. 37 cold seems to be the sweet spot. Hankook 17 inch AT2 tires
Just like the FX2, different shocks and different tires. Highway great ride. If you get on a bumpy road, you will feel every bump. If you're on a road with the seams, you feel those as well. Bilstein 4600 shocks on the Frontier. HOWEVER, I got a more choppy consistent ride in the Ranger all the time, versus the Frontier.

Impressed with the mileage. This is a combination of 50/50 highway/city-town.
Highest was 26.8 which plateaued on the highway. Overall since driving off the lot now is 25.1 mpg in 267 miles (obviously city driving dragged this down a bit).

interior quality is good. Seats are comfortable.. No wind noise, No rattles. everything within reach. As with the Ranger, you need to hit a button to control the fan speed, instead of turning a knob. Guess You get used to it after a while. A/C blows plenty cold and forceful.

Touch screen is bright, but it does have some glare on it at certain angles compared to the Ranger's some what "matte" finish touchscreen. Nissan Connect is similar to SYNC. App can control truck functions. Vehicle health reports, etc Hotspot thru AT&T. Navigation is standard on the Pro-x and Pro-4x.

Tailgate has a damper from the factory! LOL All weather
high mats were installed

Well, that's about all I can think about to talk about so far. Any questions you all might be interested in asking I'll try to answer.
frontmpg1.jpg
frontmpg2.jpg
frontier_int.jpg
Thanks for the update! Once you do your first hand calc mpg, I’d be interested how that compared to your Ranger’s mpg with the same drive. The Nissan looks great!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I see distrust in the so-called lie-o-meter all over the place here... Is it a prolific Ford issue? I've been in a Subaru for the last 8 years and it's pretty darn close to manual tracking...
I've never had a vehicle where the indicated MPG isn't at least a bit optimistic.

My 2011 Frontier didn't have the MPG indication but my 2018 Pro4X did.

The 2018 was optimistic even when it said I was getting miserable MPG (I averaged around 12. Indicator said 13)

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
I've never had a vehicle where the indicated MPG isn't at least a bit optimistic.

My 2011 Frontier didn't have the MPG indication but my 2018 Pro4X did.

The 2018 was optimistic even when it said I was getting miserable MPG (I averaged around 12. Indicator said 13)
What your 2018 with the 4.0 V6?

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What your 2018 with the 4.0 V6?
Yes.

It and the 2011 had the 4.0/5A but the 2011 got considerably better MPG.

The 2011 was an extended cab SV while the 2018 was a crewcab loaded Pro4X so I'm sure the 2018 was significantly heavier.

The 2011 also had several mods (CAI, full exhaust, and tuner) while the 2018 only had the factory Y-pipe replaced with a Magnaflow unit (the Nissan Y-pipe was a crush-bent choke point in the exhaust).

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Yes.

It and the 2011 had the 4.0/5A but the 2011 got considerably better MPG.

The 2011 was an extended cab SV while the 2018 was a crewcab loaded Pro4X so I'm sure the 2018 was significantly heavier.

The 2011 also had several mods (CAI, full exhaust, and tuner) while the 2018 only had the factory Y-pipe replaced with a Magnaflow unit (the Nissan Y-pipe was a crush-bent choke point in the exhaust).
I don't think ANY PRO4X model with the v6 4.0 ever got any good gas mileage. that was a very thirsty engine.

Amazing, how a re-design can vastly improve mpg on a similar equipped truck.

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
Let me be the first to remind you; Your damper license has been revoked. Happy trails, traitor.

Just kidding. That truck is pretty sweet.

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Let me be the first to remind you; Your damper license has been revoked. Happy trails, traitor.

Just kidding. That truck is pretty sweet.
LOL. Frontier's come standard with dampers pre-installed! :cool:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I am not a fan of the front end and the upper hood, but the rest is cool, like the color. My criteria for a truck is it has to be an Auto Trans so the wife can drive it, and it has to be flat towable, so this leaves the Nissan out as only the manual can be flat towed.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
My Ram 1500 was always 5-15 percent off.
Are you aware you can calibrate the Lie-o-meter on your Ranger?

On my last trip of 480 miles, my indicated was 23.5 MPG and calculated was 23.6 MPG. Pretty close in my book. This was after recal and then a minor follow-up recal

OP
OP
GregsFX2Ranger

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Goodbye Frontier, Hello Titan. After a short ownership with the Frontier, I decided compact pickups aren't for me.
went back to a full size. Almost got what I paid for the Frontier, dealer already re-sold it.
Got a substantial discount on a Titan, so I'm back where I needed to be.

21titan11.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.