Ranger Outsold Colorado and Gladiator in Q1

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Below is my often shared spreadsheet I made when I decided on my Ranger.
This was late 2019, so specs may have changed now. But then the Ranger was my hands down choice. The Taco and
Ford Ranger Compare.JPG
Colorado topped only in HP, which is an interesting spec to me....but I don't spend much time at 4800-5300 rpm.
Torque tows. Period.
I'd been Mopar/FCA for 34 yrs, so I took a quick look at the Gladiator. 2.0L turbo. 4000# towing. Nope.
yha, but ain’t got that sweet Toyota emblem bro! Ain’t got that sweet Japanese reliability bro! Those Tacos with the camo seat covers can do the work of an F250. Heh! *sips soy milk*

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Ouch...we like our SuperCab. I like the 6' box for a big remodel project I have. Tailgate down gives 8' of lumber support.
But it's just me, the wife and our Aussie dog. And the dog doesn't mind the small jump seats.
I had two Sport Tracs before but my kids are grown and gone now so I went back to Ranger Supercab. No need for a full rear seat any more and I'd rather have a longer bed. The Gladiator has a smaller bed than a Sport Trac or Ranger Crewcab..

Last edited:

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Wonder why GMC is so low compared to Chevy? I've always preferred the GMC logo to the Chevy bowtie.
I really like the aftermarket parts for building a Colorado into a prerunner you can buy a nice long travel kit with coilovers and secondary shocks up front and complete 4 link the rear with trailing arms and fuel cell and bed cage for a shock that goes from the axle to the top of the bedsides. Very expensive but it's available lol.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Out on the road..... you can see Ford is selling a shit ton of these things. A year ago, seeing a new Ranger out on the road was a novelty. Now I pass other '19+ rangers all the damn time.

With the addition of the Tremor, and the forthcoming redesign and Raptor and PHEV models inbound - we're likely to see Ford begin to seriously encroach on Toyota's dominance here over the next few years.
PXL_20210504_200912096.MP.jpg

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Below is my often shared spreadsheet I made when I decided on my Ranger.
This was late 2019, so specs may have changed now. But then the Ranger was my hands down choice. The Taco and
Ford Ranger Compare.JPG
Colorado topped only in HP, which is an interesting spec to me....but I don't spend much time at 4800-5300 rpm.
Torque tows. Period.
I'd been Mopar/FCA for 34 yrs, so I took a quick look at the Gladiator. 2.0L turbo. 4000# towing. Nope.
Yes, this is my first post. Just took ownership of a new '21 Lariat in Velocity Blue.

In fairness there should be a fourth column representing the Colorado Z71 with the 2.8I Duramax Diesel engine. My priority was towing capacity and GCWR, for which my "15 Explorer was on the ragged edge with the first and well over on the second. The 369 lb-ft of torque and 30 mpg mileage are nothing to sneeze at, as well as the engine brake and integrated trailer brake controller. In the end, the perceived hassle of babysitting the diesel and the complex exhaust management system (DEF, DPF, etc.) replete with at least a dozen special sensors all destined to fail at inopportune times led me away from the Duramax and toward the next best mid-sized thing available for towing a 4500 lb travel trailer -- and that's a Ranger.

Also looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokee but it just didn't provide the towing capacity margin the Ranger provides me.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
Yes, this is my first post. Just took ownership of a new '21 Lariat in Velocity Blue.

In fairness there should be a fourth column representing the Colorado Z71 with the 2.8I Duramax Diesel engine. My priority was towing capacity and GCWR, for which my "15 Explorer was on the ragged edge with the first and well over on the second. The 369 lb-ft of torque and 30 mpg mileage are nothing to sneeze at, as well as the engine brake and integrated trailer brake controller. In the end, the perceived hassle of babysitting the diesel and the complex exhaust management system (DEF, DPF, etc.) replete with at least a dozen special sensors all destined to fail at inopportune times led me away from the Duramax and toward the next best mid-sized thing available for towing a 4500 lb travel trailer -- and that's a Ranger.

Also looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokee but it just didn't provide the towing capacity margin the Ranger provides me.
When I put the spread sheet together I was looking for 'SuperCab" style trucks. The diesel Colorado was only available in four door SuperCrew. Too bad, since the specs you mention above may have swayed me to Chevy.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
i never even got to the point of wanting to test drive a tacoma.
the body style makes me want to puke.
i simply cant stand it.
That was exactly my opinion of the Taco. The thing is just butt ugly. They try to make it look like a big truck, but that doesn't change the fact it is just a mid sized truck.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I owned a 2019 Tacoma, it was trash. Rode like crap, was horrible in the mountains, no balls with that engine. Was at the dealership for various TSBs. My friends 2018 had serious transmission issues where it wouldn’t shift properly. Multiple dealership visits, no fix. I spent hours on the Tacoma forums, so many issues. Have you seen the list of TSBs alone for the Tacoma since 2018!? 228!!!! By comparison, the ranger has had I believe 8-9. On the Tacoma forums there were dozens of people every month trading in their Tacoma’s, mainly for Rangers.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to tell you Ford fan boys but GM trucks beat Ford trucks in sales. Canyon is just a model of Chevy.
Sponsored