ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
A Prius battery pack over $10,000? Where did you get that from?
It's what Mossy Toyota charged my sister for her 2008 Prius. The battery was done after I believe it was seven years or so and the battery by itself was around $7,000 plus all the labor to tear the car apart to replace it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma
The I see you've never driven a Pinto.:giggle:
Fact is, I was only using it as an example that 45 years ago there were cars which consistently got 30 MPG without even fuel injection or overdrive.
" Doing better" is not only about fuel economy....
I have a 3900 pound truck which can consistently deliver high twenties on fuel, and when needed it can tow 7500 pounds or haul nearly a ton.
That's "doing better" for my needs.

Prius is a popular car and is very fuel efficient , Toyota in general has a large enough following that they don't need my endorsement. (Good thing for them)
I'm sure it was the right choice for your needs and your money.:like:

I will never own another Toyota or any hybrid for a daily driver, not even a hybrid from another manufacturer.
Luckily I won't have to... I've still got my Pinto.:wink:
The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma
It's what Mossy Toyota charged my sister for her 2008 Prius. The battery was done after I believe it was seven years or so and the battery by itself was around $7,000 plus all the labor to tear the car apart to replace it.
From google searches, it looks like the best option for replacing a hybrid battery is going to private shop. I think the only time you got to the dealer is if it is under warranty.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.fuelly.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The fact is that your Pinto is a horrible example to compare to a Prius or any modern economy car today. Night and day difference between reliability, safely, quality... You are still trying to compare highway mileage, that most people never see on a daily basis. What does the Pinto get in the city. It is probably not too much better than the Ranger. I can't think of a single car for the 70's or 80's that is better than cars today.

I don't own a hybrid either. After seeing how well my sons car is working out for him, I would seriously consider one. The next thing we are going to see is hybrids becoming a lot more performance oriented. I was very intrigued with the specs on the Rav4 Prime hybrid that is coming out this summer. I would not be surprised if Ford follows suit with something similar for the Escape.
My wife just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid a couple months ago and it's a wonderful car. The hybrid system is amazing! You don't even notice what it's doing and it's doing so many things and bouncing around between modes all the time. She's consistently getting upper 40s mpg on her work commute, and even been able to do more electric miles than not sometimes with a bit of practice. And in the end, the Hybrid model was only $1200 more than a non-hybrid model. So with it essentially getting double the mileage, that'll pay for itself in no time.

Definitely a better commuter/daily driver vehicle than the Ranger in almost every way. The Hybrid also has more "get up and go" than the Ranger does too, thanks to the instantaneous constant torque from the electric motors. Don't get me wrong, the Ranger has plenty of benefits and I love mine very much, but city driving commutes is not a highlight.

41796.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

What exactly is the qualification you are measuring? Carbon footprint? The Pinto wins. Overall cost consideration, as in cost to operate vehicle per mile? The Pinto wins.

Realistically if you expect a 50 year old car to be as safe as a modern one, you are on a fools errand.

Floyd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect

Different era altogether , so mileage was the only comparison made.
As for reliability, how does eleven dollars in unscheduled maintenance in the first 100,000 miles sound? I was never able to get less than 28MPG (manual trans) even when blowing away Supras at stoplights.
Ford has already built several Hybrids. none of which will ever find a place in my garage.

I am serious when I say that if you parked a brand new Prius next to a brand new Pinto sedan today and gave me the choice of either, I would take the Pinto without hesitation.
You can be glad that I left the Prius for you! :wink:
You are right ... There is no comparison.

If you do want a Toyota Hybrid, You might consider the Camry, Probably a better choice with less stigma attached.

Seriously. I'm not being antagonistic here.....
We can be glad that we have so many choices and that we are not all driving Trabbies. (maybe soon)
Personally I am glad that Toyota is so popular, that helps keep the crowds and the prices down at my local Ford dealer.

Last edited:

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
I don’t get the gladiator hate. They look okay like the ranger but look way better once you put some work into them. The Gladiator is meant for true off roading and cheaper moding then most trucks. I may look at one in a few years as long as the price dips.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I don't think it's Gladiator hate so much as a bit of incredulity at the price for what you get.

I didn't even consider the Gladiator since I had a brand new 2017 Wrangler that I ended up not liking, I drove several JL Wranglers and didn't care for them, and therefore a JL Wrangler pickup with worse performance probably wouldn't appeal to me either.

If you want a real offroader, the Gladiator is probably the best choice in Rubicon guise, though I would probably give a long look at the diesel since the 3.6 is a bit underpowered for the Gladiator.

(I remember a comparison test where the Ranger with 1000lbs of cement in the bed outran an empty Gladiator.)

Even then, turning radius and breakover angle could be problematic.

If you want a truck for truck things, there are many better choices.

I like that my Ranger is off road capable, but it's not my main vehicle for taking offroad.

I have no illusions that my Ranger would be able to outperfom my Grand Cherokee off road.

Solid axles with hydraulic LS front and rear, a much tighter turning circle, and V8 off idle punch are hard to beat.

Last edited:

Floyd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
I don’t get the gladiator hate. They look okay like the ranger but look way better once you put some work into them. The Gladiator is meant for true off roading and cheaper moding then most trucks. I may look at one in a few years as long as the price dips.
How doe a 137" wheelbase fit with "meant for true off roading"?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma
What exactly is the qualification you are measuring? Carbon footprint? The Pinto wins. Overall cost consideration, as in cost to operate vehicle per mile? The Pinto wins.

Realistically if you expect a 50 year old car to be as safe as a modern one, you are on a fools errand.
First of all, you may want to have the safety discussion with Floyd. On cost, the Pinto at $700 will win every day, as long as it runs. Carbon footprint, the Prius would kill it.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tacoma
Different era altogether , so mileage was the only comparison made.
As for reliability, how does eleven dollars in unscheduled maintenance in the first 100,000 miles sound? I was never able to get less than 28MPG (manual trans) even when blowing away Supras at stoplights.
Ford has already built several Hybrids. none of which will ever find a place in my garage.
Yea right Floyd. $11 in unscheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles. About the only way this is believable is (a) you have a wider definition of unscheduled maintenance than everybody else,; (b) you had a donor car for parts; and/or (c) you were getting parts for free from somewhere.

Back in that era, the Supra actually had slightly better performance than the Pinto, but both were downright slow by todays standards. The Pinto did have its light weight going for it though. If you were trouncing Supra's my guess is you were not running the stock Pinto motor. It looks like your profile says you have a v8 in the Pinto. The Pinto with a 5.0 HO FI would certainly leave all but the 4th generation Supra Twin-Turbo in the dust. The other motor that would have been a lot of fun in the Pinto was the Mustang SVO turbo 4.

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Carbon footprint, the Prius would kill it.
dont forget, the carbon foot print doesnt just cover the gas it burns on a daily.
it covers everything from when the raw materials are dug up from the ground or created in some chemical reaction. the chain of production is loooooong with plenty of carbon producing processes One would have to dig deep, to look into the differences in manufacturing one or the other

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
First of all, you may want to have the safety discussion with Floyd. On cost, the Pinto at $700 will win every day, as long as it runs. Carbon footprint, the Prius would kill it.
Prius would certainly kill it if it ran into the rear end of the Pinto ;)

Floyd

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea right Floyd. $11 in unscheduled maintenance for the first 100k miles. About the only way this is believable is (a) you have a wider definition of unscheduled maintenance than everybody else,; (b) you had a donor car for parts; and/or (c) you were getting parts for free from somewhere.

Back in that era, the Supra actually had slightly better performance than the Pinto, but both were downright slow by todays standards. The Pinto did have its light weight going for it though. If you were trouncing Supra's my guess is you were not running the stock Pinto motor. It looks like your profile says you have a v8 in the Pinto. The Pinto with a 5.0 HO FI would certainly leave all but the 4th generation Supra Twin-Turbo in the dust. The other motor that would have been a lot of fun in the Pinto was the Mustang SVO turbo 4.
An electric choke thermostat failed around 74K on my 1977 pinto sedan, $11 for the part.
I'm not concerned about what you believe, but I take umbrage at the ad hominem.
I won't try to boost my position by channeling "everybody else".

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement