Dick Richie

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just opened my notifications. Apologies for the delay in replying. On an unrelated note, went with # 15 tint on the front windows. #5 on windshield and rears all around a couple weeks ago.

fullsizeoutput_bfe.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

GAR2912

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
General Contractor
Hello folks. I have read a ton of posts on tires and need some advice.

I have a 2020 XLT RWD with 17" Magnetic wheels and Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts at 255/65. I have Eibachs on rear and installing on front soon with most likely 2.25" lift. I think I am set on upgrading to a 265/70/R17 tire on the stock wheels.

I pretty much drive around the city. No real highway or off road driving. I like the look of K02's, Grapplers, Falkens, etc. I want to upgrade tires purely for aesthetic purposes but am concerned about 1) performance in rain since I am in SW Florida, 2) road noise, and 3) added weight.

Which tire would you recommend to meet my concerns?
1) BFG K02
2) Nitto Ridge Grappler
3) Falken Wildpeak

Thanks in advance!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I have a 2020 XLT RWD with 17" Magnetic wheels and Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts at 255/65. I have Eibachs on rear and installing on front soon with most likely 2.25" lift. I think I am set on upgrading to a 265/70/R17 tire on the stock wheels.

I pretty much drive around the city. No real highway or off road driving. I like the look of K02's, Grapplers, Falkens, etc. I want to upgrade tires purely for aesthetic purposes but am concerned about 1) performance in rain since I am in SW Florida, 2) road noise, and 3) added weight.

1) BFG K02
2) Nitto Ridge Grappler
3) Falken Wildpeak

Thanks in advance!
I've had the Ridge Grapplers on my Ranger now for about 1 1/2 years and a bit over 12,000 miles on them. We don't get much rain here but the times we have they've been fine. Weight wise they are about 8.5 lbs heavier than the stock ones and really didn't notice much difference. As far as road noise I love them! Very quiet on the street yet still have as aggressive look and are great off road.

Mine are the same size 265/70/17 on the stock sport wheels. I bought them online here.

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

Last edited:

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer

1) BFG K02
2) Nitto Ridge Grappler
3) Falken Wildpeak

Thanks in advance!
To be completely frank here, you'll notice a pretty big difference (in a poor way on-road) if you upgrade to that size and aggressiveness. They'll all be fine in the rain and inclement weather, but there will definitely be a loss in MPG, increase in road noise, and relatively sluggish accel/braking on the streets. Those three A/T tires are among the best A/T tires and will have far superior on-road characteristics compared to say a M/T tire, but if you're coming from the Duelers, you will definitely notice a decrease in on-road performance.

The three tires that you mentioned are among the most aggressive A/T tire you can buy and best value as well (and yes, agreed that the tread patterns look the coolest too). If you can sacrifice some on-road poor characteristics, go for it. But if you want to retain some superior on-road tire characteristics, go for Hankook Dynapro ATMs or the Conti TerrainContacts in that size.

GAR2912

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
General Contractor
To be completely frank here, you'll notice a pretty big difference (in a poor way on-road) if you upgrade to that size and aggressiveness. They'll all be fine in the rain and inclement weather, but there will definitely be a loss in MPG, increase in road noise, and relatively sluggish accel/braking on the streets. Those three A/T tires are among the best A/T tires and will have far superior on-road characteristics compared to say a M/T tire, but if you're coming from the Duelers, you will definitely notice a decrease in on-road performance.

The three tires that you mentioned are among the most aggressive A/T tire you can buy and best value as well (and yes, agreed that the tread patterns look the coolest too). If you can sacrifice some on-road poor characteristics, go for it. But if you want to retain some superior on-road tire characteristics, go for Hankook Dynapro ATMs or the Conti TerrainContacts in that size.
Thanks for the feedback Doug, appreciate it!

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Oh yeah, that's definitely the right size for these trucks. That OD fills out the wells perfectly at stock height and I think it will look awesome with a level kit as well.
Your tires look great!

Although I am inexplicably drawn towards tires with white lettering on them, ultimately I will purchase the exact size and brand of tires as yours and put them on the same wheels. Thanks for showing them,

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
To be completely frank here, you'll notice a pretty big difference (in a poor way on-road) if you upgrade to that size and aggressiveness. They'll all be fine in the rain and inclement weather, but there will definitely be a loss in MPG, increase in road noise, and relatively sluggish accel/braking on the streets.
my gf told me I needed bigger tires but i told her the added weight will drop my mpgs. She then told me I’ll just have to deal with it. So I told her I was going to get her an annual bus pass for her to reduce the overall weight when I drive.... big mistake, I’ve been sleeping on the couch ever since

Straitbad01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Machinist
Vehicle Showcase
265/70/17 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP:

Stock suspenson:
w6ocZIq.jpg

With Fox Performance upgrade:
rjSGKw8.jpg
I have this same setup but it absolutely killed my mpg, went from 24 combined to 19. With tire calibration with ForScan done as well. Did you get the same effect??

Duwop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F250 Platinum 57 Chevy 3800 96 F150 20 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Ill add now that I got tires put on today..
Autospring 2 inch leveling kit with 265/70/17 falken wildpeaks.

20210212_145318.jpg
2E694874-31A7-484A-B4B5-7655A13A9ECA.jpeg

I like that wheel tire combo too, this was first trip to the woods