First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Hey All -- I was curious on thoughts on tire pressure for the 265/70/17 BFG KO2's on my stock FX4 supercab.

Door label shows 30 PSI. Was curious if that's what you're running generally. Felt fine to me on about 15 miles of highway and such.

Also, if you get into a rocky stretch off-road, what do you recommend going down to? I should note that I certainly won't be doing anything that I'd consider rock crawling, just some trails that have some rocky terrain.

Thanks!
-Tyler
Sponsored

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey All -- I was curious on thoughts on tire pressure for the 265/70/17 BFG KO2's on my stock FX4 supercab.

Door label shows 30 PSI. Was curious if that's what you're running generally. Felt fine to me on about 15 miles of highway and such.

Also, if you get into a rocky stretch off-road, what do you recommend going down to?

Thanks!
-Tyler
Hi Tyler,

The door label is for OEM tires and may not apply to your BFG tires. Your tire dealer or the BFG website should show recommended pressures depending on the weight on each tire...

30psi was the threshold tire pressure for all Ford Products due to the old Firestone/Explorer issue where the door label was 26psi, one psi above Rim Rolloff which is when the lateral load on the tire breaks the beadseat to the rim and results in rapid deflation. After the dust settled, it was decreed the minimum pressure for all Ford products would be 30psi. I have no idea with tire designs now if this still holds true.

As I recall, BFG has a customer help line that might be a resource for you. Also, the good folks at Discount Tire, Sponsors here might be a resource. Discount Tire has been very helpful to folks here on these forums with tire related questions.

Best of Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase

Also, if you get into a rocky stretch off-road, what do you recommend going down to? I should note that I certainly won't be doing anything that I'd consider rock crawling, just some trails that have some rocky terrain.

Thanks!
-Tyler
Mine were installed and set to 40PSI cold, I thought this was too stiff once they got to temp so I lowered them to 36.5 on all four and they seem to run about 40-41 now at hwy speed and it is much more comfortable. I had them rotated about 2-3000 miles after reducing the pressure and no abnormal wear. The people @ discount said tires still look brand new.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Use at your own risk. I checked it out for a R18 KO2 and and it spit out 39 psi. That's the same as the BF Goodrich site. I did not check out your 17" rims.
That’s a very handy link you posted, thanks for that. I’ve been unsure what pressure to run my new tires at since installing them. The shop originally set them to 35psi but I’ve recently lowered them to the stock 30psi and they feel better. Interestingly the calculator recommended 25psi, not sure I want to run them quite that low though

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
I run my 275/70R17’s at 38 and have been very happy there. Just drove over 3000 miles a few weeks ago with them at 38 and it was perfect.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
In the same size(different tire) I run at 30 psi just fine. That is what the door placard says on my truck and when I go offroad it depends on terrain for how much i lower the pressure.

OP
OP

Toast.

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Thanks for all the info folks.

I called into Discount Tire, and they recommended 37 PSI. Checked my tires and that's actually what they had them set to, the guy originally just gave me bad info.

Still curious how folks adjust pressure to different off-road situations.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for all the info folks.

I called into Discount Tire, and they recommended 37 PSI. Checked my tires and that's actually what they had them set to, the guy originally just gave me bad info.

Still curious how folks adjust pressure to different off-road situations.
Here is a good video for info on that

OP
OP

Toast.

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
Here is a good video for info on that

good call, thanks I'll take a look shortly

and sorry for being that dude who didn't google it lol

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
good call, thanks I'll take a look shortly

and sorry for being that dude who didn't google it lol
Its alright. I actually watch this guy on YouTube and he has a lot of good advice for offroad that isnt vehicle specific. I recommend it to anyone here that does go offroad as there is plenty of information you can get.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

Use at your own risk. I checked it out for a R18 KO2 and and it spit out 39 psi. That's the same as the BF Goodrich site. I did not check out your 17" rims.
Thanks for the link. Never saw that before. Interesting that it is recommending 28 psi for my new 265/70-17 tires. I doubt I'll go below 30 psi. I did enter a previous swap I did on an F-150, going from 275/65-18 SL to LT275/70-18 "E" and it recommended 45 psi vs the stock 35 psi. I chalk tested that vehicle and settled on 43 psi as the pressure so that calculator was close in that application. I will chalk test these one I get them installed also. ?

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Running the KO2s 265 70 17s. 37 PSI for unloaded driving. Up to 40 when loaded/towing my camper. Air down to 28 for washboard/gravel at speeds up to 50 and milder off roading. For low speed rock rock crawling I air down to 23 to 25 depending on traction needs . Just got back from 2 weeks in Moab area and these pressures served me well. Also my tires are C load rated. If running p rated or E load pressures would be completely different.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Running the KO2s 265 70 17s. 37 PSI for unloaded driving. Up to 40 when loaded/towing my camper. Air down to 28 for washboard/gravel at speeds up to 50 and milder off roading. For low speed rock rock crawling I air down to 23 to 25 depending on traction needs . Just got back from 2 weeks in Moab area and these pressures served me well. Also my tires are C load rated. If running p rated or E load pressures would be completely different.
Honestly im surprised you are running that high normally. Does your door placard recommend the higher pressure normally or does it say 30?

As formmy truck running Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's I normally run 30 psi Hwy even when towing(yes it does just fine) as for off road I have gone down to 24 psi on most trails so far and it does well for the comfort. I hardly get vibration on washboarded roads with that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Honestly im surprised you are running that high normally. Does your door placard recommend the higher pressure normally or does it say 30?

As formmy truck running Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's I normally run 30 psi Hwy even when towing(yes it does just fine) as for off road I have gone down to 24 psi on most trails so far and it does well for the comfort. I hardly get vibration on washboarded roads with that.
I can't imagine running them at 37+ psi either, that's way to much. I run my 265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers between 30- 32 psi. When airing down I'm usually between 18-22 psi depending on the terrain.... 18 in softer sand and 20-22 in rocks.

On our last trip up to Sedona I forgot to air down because it was a smooth fire road up top. Boy I remembered quickly once we hit the rocky washboards and were bouncing around the cab. lol

Tire Inflation Chart.jpg
Sponsored