Pics of 265/70/17 HIGHWAY/STREET tread tires??

starquestbd22

First Name
Bucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I imagine this won't be very popular but I'm considering a straight highway tire for my 21 (Michelin Defender LTX or similar). I do not off-road and comfort and quietness are at the top of my list. I wouldn't mind stepping up to 265/70 just to fill the fenderwell a little better and because it's a much more common size than the stock 265/65. I went through every single post of the 265/70/17 tire thread but there is nothing but AT tires to see there.

If you've done it, post a pic or two please. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Of course I'm one of the people who went with a all terrain over a street Tire because I do go off road. Now I do understand me wanting a little bit bigger tire just to fill the wheel well little bit better and wanted to have a street tire for the fact of not going off-road whatsoever. I'm not going to argue that the Michelin LTX is a great Tire. If it were me just because I like the Brandon particular I would go with the Firestone Destination le2. I have ran the le2 in the past before and I can say it was an awesome Tire. That's just my suggestion but you do you.

Screenshot_20210527-122122.png

Last edited:

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I imagine this won't be very popular but I'm considering a straight highway tire for my 21 (Michelin Defender LTX or similar). I do not off-road and comfort and quietness are at the top of my list. I wouldn't mind stepping up to 265/70 just to fill the fenderwell a little better and because it's a much more common size than the stock 265/65. I went through every single post of the 265/70/17 tire thread but there is nothing but AT tires to see there.

If you've done it, post a pic or two please. Thanks in advance.
Which stock tire do you have?

MinuteMan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Fart Can collector
I think you are funny. It is almost like you a doing an SNL skit about the rest of us. Also, I think it is smart. You put 100 people in the room and if one is asking a question, there are more in the room that have the same question. I am almost pissed off that I didn't think about doing this. Damn... Good luck with this post.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Answer: Michelin LTX AT2 'nuff said.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Answer: Michelin LTX AT2 'nuff said.
And clearly you did not read the OP's. He is not going off-road so therefore in altering would not quite do what he's going to want. He's looking for a street Tire which I agree with and there are plenty of those All Season street tires that'll do just fine for him. Also I've seen the Michelin LTX at2 and I can tell you it is a horrible Street Tire

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I actually think ill do this! I have a 4x2 xlt 255, 65, 17. They look tiny on the ranger. Look much better with bigger tires! But don't want a nobby, noisy tire, especially if its only a 4x2. I only do beach sand and mud, and not often at all. I have four road tires for sale. Only 10k no burnouts,

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I actually think ill do this! I have a 4x2 xlt 255, 65, 17. They look tiny on the ranger. Look much better with bigger tires! But don't want a nobby, noisy tire, especially if its only a 4x2. I only do beach sand and mud, and not often at all. I have four road tires for sale. Only 10k no burnouts,
If you are doing such I recommend the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3. I had it in 265/70-17 before. Road noise wasnt an issue and for offroad it was just fine. If that doesn't look like your cup of tea then maybe the Firestone Destination XT. I have it now in 285/70-17(I know you are not going that big) and I can say it is quite on the street and will take on most tires when it comes to the OffRoad.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Why not a quiet tire that performs as well as a highway tire, but has some off-road cred? And is snow rated, just in case…
0BD7DA5C-5384-4143-9794-DA6A7C259B4C.JPG

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Why not a quiet tire that performs as well as a highway tire, but has some off-road cred? And is snow rated, just in case…
This ^

OP
OP

starquestbd22

First Name
Bucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
To answer the earlier question, my truck came with the Hankook Dynapro AT-M in load range C. I don’t need the AT tire or the heavier load range. They are quiet and smooth now but I wonder if a standard load tire would ride a little better and also how long these will stay quiet.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To answer the earlier question, my truck came with the Hankook Dynapro AT-M in load range C. I don’t need the AT tire or the heavier load range. They are quiet and smooth now but I wonder if a standard load tire would ride a little better and also how long these will stay quiet.
Thankfully I can answer this since I used to run the AT-M on my old Frontier that i had. Through the life of the tire it will be quiet for the most part unless the tire pressure gets low.... Then you get the annoying noise at low speed.

Ride quality between an LT to P rated tire? Generally speaking a P rated tire will ride better due to less sidewall stiffness and as long as you find a tire that merts the minimum load rating you will be fine.

If you want to go to a P rated tire I would still suggest the Firestone as you have already mentioned you don't go offroad what so ever. I wouldn't be suprized if you hit a dirt driveway because one of your freinds has one but that is a different story and you will be fine. Also you will get great All Season capability with the tire.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
I will chime in on the Michelin Defender. They are an all weather tire. A very high mileage tire.
They do all things ok. They are a compromise for all conditions.

I recently purchased them for my 2011, 2.3 L, manual, 2 WD, non posi Ranger.
If I had a 4WD I may trust them to get up to the local Mnts in the Winter. No crazy snow conditions. They do have a snow flake on them. Since my Ranger is not be trusted on any advanced terrain, I run a dedicated Toyo Winter tire with sand bags.

They are moderately siped. I live on the wet coast. I wanted a tire I could trust in the rain. For me the test area is when I come off the Hwy into a 180 degree turn, no camber. The tires are inspiring at a higher then average cornering speed in the rain. The Ranger has a high mass with a higher weight then a sedan. Does well.

They are quiet. I have had no issues with dry grip. High cornering and braking forces.
I run the tire size that came stock on an XL. 235's to have the gearing work well with the manual transmission and 4.11 gears. The motor only has 145 Hp. I mainly commute with the truck.
Not sure how the tires will performer with a taller side wall.

Michelin's are one of the top tire Mfg. I would recommend the Defenders for City and Hwy vehicle use and groomed Gravel roads.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
To answer the earlier question, my truck came with the Hankook Dynapro AT-M in load range C. I don’t need the AT tire or the heavier load range.
My truck also came with Dynapro ATM load range C. I replaced with Dynapro AT2 265/70R17 with a standard load rating.
Comfortable and quiet.