Pics of 265/70/17 tire

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
Did you have the lift on prior to the wheels and tires? Or all in one shot?
The lift was on for a week with Sport wheels until the tires came in, then switched out. Zero rubbing either way. Pic 1 is stock. #2 with lift before new wheels & tires. # 3 completed project

001.jpg

070420 004.jpg

014.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
FD9CD104-B069-43CA-98D1-7A977ACA1C93.jpeg

I’ve had them on for about 2 weeks. RC level is the only thing done. Minimal hit to MPG and power. Went from factory 18’s to 17” wheels for more side wall.
Those wheels look good. What brand are they?

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Totally stock on 265 70 17. They fill up the wheel wells better.

20190921_133639.jpg

20190921_134128.jpg
I see 2 on tirerack
LT265/70R17 121/118S E - $200.99
265/70R17 115T - $167.06 Best seller

Which once you have?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm avoiding LT tires myself since they are so much heavier an hurt MPG an acceleration. I don't know what advantage they offer in a ranger since we don't have the load or towing capability to need LT's. They may be tougher for off roading to resist sidewall punctures.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm avoiding LT tires myself since they are so much heavier an hurt MPG an acceleration. I don't know what advantage they offer in a ranger since we don't have the load or towing capability to need LT's. They may be tougher for off roading to resist sidewall punctures.
Hi Langley,

Back Story. I managed Ford's Off Road Racing. We had House Teams that we supported with parts, engineering etc. Then we had our Blue Oval teams that ran Ford Trucks. At the races we supported any team with a Blue Oval but the House teams frequently tested Prototype parts. Part of the Tested Tough. There were two suppliers of tires that supported the Best In the Desert series. One of our House teams seemed to have a problem with flat tires. It was then we were made aware that for a particular tire size there were two different constructions, and the special construction kevlar tires were given to teams that this tire manufacturer sponsored which did not always jive with our Ford teams be they House or Blue oval. I pulled the manufacterer rep into the motorhome for a meeting and they admitted there were different constructions for the same tire. It was a tense meeting and nothing was resolved at this meeting, but the one team seemed to put flat tires behind them... As I sought a level playing field, finally all teams, regardless of House, Blue Oval or competition, got the same construction tire. I wanted to win fair and square, not based on some poor racers misfortune to miss the win due to a flat that a better tire would have likley withstood the "stick flat"....

The take away for folks on this forum is that you might not be getting the same Tire, shocka or component that is available OEM or even close to OEM. No one wants to spend their money on shocks to install them and not "feel" a difference....this game has been played well before the 5G Ranger and FX4. The best example from way back was the "Sensor track" shock. Rave Reviews...is it here today...nope it was just a stiff compression shock...you felt the difference so people felt the money was worth it.

Okay long and rambling...believe me I tried quite a bit of aftermarket stuff....some was good but most was just different.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retires

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I generally get the LT tires for that very reason. I've killed a few P rated tires over the years while off road. Nothing worse than hearing the air in your tire rush out through a rock cut.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
The take away for folks on this forum is that you might not be getting the same Tire, shocka or component that is available OEM or even close to OEM.
Tend to agree, despite often hearing oem parts being bad mouthed.

Then there's mfr replacement parts vs oem production parts.

For eg, I think many have had their first set of brake pads last longer than the dealer supplied replacements. There was a guy on another board very knowledgeable about brake systems (might have been involved in engineering/testing) who used to buy a supply of "Blue Box" parts, particularly calipers, when he purchased a new Ford vehicle. ON EDIT As I understood it, Blue Box were the production line parts. Red Box being the stuff you get at the dealer parts counter

Reportedly there's a lot of fake Motorcraft "red box" stuff out there now which is a shame because I prefer the Ford certified stuff for my personal vehicles without having to question quality or authenticity. But maybe the replacement parts quality has been outsourced overseas already, IDK

As for oem tires, I'm surprised at the relative frequency of poor reviews from owners (specific individual demands notwithstanding). I would think compliant, serviceable tires would be something the auto mfrs would allocate a great deal of time and resources on to best satisfy consumers.

Last edited:

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
I'd say yes to LTs for off highway. But maybe in a C load rating to reduce a bit of weight and sidewall stiffness.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
As for oem tires, I'm surprised at the relative frequency of poor reviews from owners (specific individual demands notwithstanding). I would think compliant, serviceable tires would be something the auto mfrs would allocate a great deal of time and resources on to best satisfy consumers.
Often, OEM tires are being built to manufacturer specs in order to help meet CAFE requirements. These specs focus more on improved rolling resistance and etc. and less on other attributes if it interferes with the intended goal. That is why some people comment that they like aftermarket tires better or the same brand and model tire without the OE specs as compared to the OE tires.

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Often, OEM tires are being built to manufacturer specs in order to help meet CAFE requirements. These specs focus more on improved rolling resistance and etc. and less on other attributes if it interferes with the intended goal. That is why some people comment that they like aftermarket tires better or the same brand and model tire without the OE specs as compared to the OE tires.
Quite right. My bad, I wasn't thinking of CAFE stds.

dustinc_

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
265/70/17 Falken with 1.5 spacer, 2.5 RC level. Slight rub at full lock. Adjusted crash bars. Mileage on last tank, city driving Houston.

fullsizeoutput_bfc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bfa.jpeg
Looks really good! Especially w/ the spacers. May I ask if you got the 115T or the 121 (LT)? I tried reading the tire but couldn't quite make it out haha! Thanks!